Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 03:35 PM   #1
s14,240sx
AF Newbie

Red face Twin T-88 Turbos on Viper?

I don't know too much on the internals of the viper engine block but a recent article of a supra running a single t-88 has piqued my intrest.

if a 3.0l i-6 can run a t-88 then could a viper not therotically run two even better espeacially because it has about 2-3 times the dispacement of a supra?

would this require alot of engine rebuilding to get about 20-26psi of boost from each turbo? i'm not sure of the integrity of the viper engine block, but the boost would only work out to about 4-6 psi of boost per cylinder or 6-7psi per litre whereas a supra can easily run about 4psi per cylinder and a whopping 9psi per litre

it sounds very possible to me (once again not too familiar with strength of viper engine block) without a huge engine rebuild.

if anyone could ever do this it would post some huge ass numbers and also HAS anyone ever tried this before?

Saturn SC2
192 WHP @ 9 psi
13.76 @ 104 mph
(saturns are faster than you think)

Yes sir, you were just beat by a SATURN!!! have a nice day

s14,240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 12:29 AM   #2
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Re: Twin T-88 Turbos on Viper?

Quote:
Originally posted by s14,240sx
I don't know too much on the internals of the viper engine block but a recent article of a supra running a single t-88 has piqued my intrest.

if a 3.0l i-6 can run a t-88 then could a viper not therotically run two even better espeacially because it has about 2-3 times the dispacement of a supra?

would this require alot of engine rebuilding to get about 20-26psi of boost from each turbo? i'm not sure of the integrity of the viper engine block, but the boost would only work out to about 4-6 psi of boost per cylinder or 6-7psi per litre whereas a supra can easily run about 4psi per cylinder and a whopping 9psi per litre

it sounds very possible to me (once again not too familiar with strength of viper engine block) without a huge engine rebuild.

if anyone could ever do this it would post some huge ass numbers and also HAS anyone ever tried this before?
It's always fun to play with theory on paper. Your comparison is not an apples to apples comparison. Displacement between the two is not as you state because the Supra is a DOHC engine and the Viper is a push V-10.

I will say that to date, no one has attempted to put twin T-88's on a Viper. In fact no one has even successfully put twin T-66's on a Snake. Two companies have played with this concept and they are SVSi and Hennessey. As you have heard, Hennessey is struggling just to stay in business.

Problems that you run into have to do with putting enough intercooling and where to position the turbos. The underpan of the Viper is fiberglass, and tends to melt or catch on fire with7 heat of the magnitude that turbos put out. Rumor has it that at least one SVSi twin turbo Stryker Viper has caught on fire and burned to the ground. Boost used on these cars is very low. I understand that the turbo units used by Hennessey are quite smal and use very little boost.

The reliability and the quality of the Viper engine is well documented (without getting into a pissing match about HP/liter garage). people have race cars that use many OE components like cranks, trannies, clutches (and more) that are doing well over 700 RWHP (I have heard the same said of Supras bottom ends of their engines). There are supercharged Vipers that are dyno'ing at over 1,100 HP (torque gets over 1,300 ft-lbs.). The problem with these cars is the massive amounts of torque that they produce at very low rpm's. They make the cars almost un-drivable. Vipers can be tweeked up to over 800 RWHP without needing forced induction or NOS. It really comes down to how much money that you want to spend, right? I will say that tuning a Viper is going to cost you significantly more than most Supras (JMO).

As fun as this exercise is, the bottom line is the results on the track. I'll leave that for someone else to debate (since I am not a drag racer). I know of converted street cars that are turning 230+ mph on road racing venues. These are cars that are designed to pull excessive G forces on road courses for extended amounts of time (and not drag cars).

Please no flames, because at no point have I said that Supras are better or worse than Vipers. They are different cars that have wonderful attributes. I have many Supra friends that also realize that these two cars are very different beasts.

Brad

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote