Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Audi > Older Vehicles > 4000/100/A6/S6
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
Rughey
AF Newbie

Starting problems

Right. I've got a 1991 Audi 100 5-cylinder. The battery is new (within 6 months), but I've got to jump it every time I want to start it. When I do jump it, it'll run, but when I turn it off, it won't start up again when I turn the key (forcing me to re-jump it if I want it to run again).

Could it be the alternator? This is puzzling. When the car starts it will run until I turn it off, whereas an alternator problem would cause the car to lose power and die.

Any help? I want to get this running, because it's in fantastic shape (the interior is perfect), but I can't figure this out.

Thanks,

R
Rughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
aacar
AF Newbie

The same thing is going with mine. Had yours been sitting for awhile mine was sittinf for a year.
aacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
virtuales
AF Newbie

Re: Starting problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rughey
Right. I've got a 1991 Audi 100 5-cylinder. The battery is new (within 6 months), but I've got to jump it every time I want to start it. When I do jump it, it'll run, but when I turn it off, it won't start up again when I turn the key (forcing me to re-jump it if I want it to run again).

Could it be the alternator? This is puzzling. When the car starts it will run until I turn it off, whereas an alternator problem would cause the car to lose power and die.

Any help? I want to get this running, because it's in fantastic shape (the interior is perfect), but I can't figure this out.

Thanks,

R
With the use of multimeter, check the voltage reading on the battery while the car is running, if the reading is between 13 and 14 volts then the alternator is charging your battery, if not, then the fault is with the alternator or elsewhere.
virtuales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:39 AM   #4
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

R,
welcome to AF.
back from Rita in the gulf, you may have a battery holding Volts, but no Amps. this can occur, if sitting too long, or if you "never follow" and drive hard, and a lead plate inside the battery collides with another, can fuse together, or arc and cause the battery to discharge.
use a load tester, or multimeter, and check; or trickle charge the battery overnight. before changing a $40-60. battery, I would still look at the battery cables, as these on older vehicles can still LOOK good, but if deposits and corrosion have built up inside the casing/sleeves, can be very brittle and will have great resistance to starting the vehicle (unless TWO batteries were pushing power through them).

either way, doesn't sound like alt. or ignition switch, so just have to isolate and replace.

hope this helps,
chris
nrt racing
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
s10chevy
AF Newbie

hello. i need some desperate advice. my ignition fuse keeps blowing out, and my dashboard is non fuctional. what could make the fuse keep blowing, ?
s10chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Audi > Older Vehicles > 4000/100/A6/S6