Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 01:52 PM   #1
JCR62
AF Newbie

2005 Buick Park Avenue vibration

I have a 2005 Buick Park Avenue that has a vibration beginning about 60 MPH. I have had it only to about 80 MPH and it still shakes there. The dealer has changed the tires from GoodYear to Michelins, the vibration stayed the same. They put 6 more Michelin tires on the car with the same results. The dealer replaced the right front axle and CV joint with same results. Buick suggested road forced balancing at John Bean headquarters in Conway, AR and the same vibration is still there. After some complaining from me it was taken back to John Bean and road forced balancing performed again. The Vibration is still there. Sometimes you can feel it in the steering wheel and sometimes it feels like it is in the rear. On occasions at a stead 75 MPH it comes and goes. It is worse from about 67 MPH to 75 MPH.

I really like this car, can someone help me or make suggestions I can take to the dealer, I do not want to turn this car in as a lemon car. l Thank you
JCR62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #2
Grant@Tirerack
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2005 Buick Park Avenue vibration

Have they checked the wheels for run-out? You may have a bad wheel. If road force didn't find the problem, I doulbt it's the tires. Something else has to be wrong with either the wheels or one of your hubs. The fact that it seems to move front to rear leads me to believe it's a wheel. Have them try a new set of wheels from another car on the lot and see if that helps.
fax# 574-236-7707
email: grant@tirerack.com
Grant@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 04:35 PM   #3
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

A couple of thoughts

This is an incredibly sensitive vehicle to wheel end variations.

The Hunter GSP9700 has a built in tolerance for wheels, but its value is the same as the entire assembly – meaning that a wheel with an excessive amount of run out will be judged as acceptable. Given the sensitivity of this vehicle, this needs to be looked at very carefully.

I've had to deal with a couple of sensitive vehicles and we fixed one by doing an on car dynamic balance. Because the tire / wheel assembly had been match mounted and balanced off the vehicle, this indicated to me that either there was eccentric mounting of the wheel onto the hub or there was some other component out of balance - like a brake rotor.

On others we found an engine related vibration that was causing the steering column to vibrate in sympathy. I'm wondering if some other component - like the seat back- could also do that.

I think it may be time to have the dealer call in the technical gurus at GM headquarters.

Hope this helps.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:36 PM   #4
JCR62
AF Newbie

2005 Buick Park Avenue Vibration

Thanks to all who helpped me with this problem.
I have since had the local Buick dealer working on this. Two road force balancings at John Bean headquarters in Conway, Ar, both front hubs, left axle and cv joint, complete tire/wheel changes off new car on lot, change from Goodyear luxury ride to Michelin Semmetry tires and to many other items to mention in this note, and none helped.
On a resent trip to Appleton, Wisconsin I passed by the Bergstrom Buick-Cadilliac and Hummer dealer. Very large dealership. I was told they sell 3500 cars a year at this dealership and it is one of 31 dealerships in Wisconsin and Illinois.
I asked if they could look at it and they said if they could have it for a day they would try to make it comfortable for my drive home, app. 900 miles. He drove the car app. 10 miles with me aboard.
I told the service manager I would rather have it fixed. He said it could not be fixed but he thought he could make improvments. The problem is a design flaw in the body suspension, aluminum control arms and 16" wheels combination.
They have had so many problems with this body style they bought their own road force balancer. They kept it all day and re-road force balenced all tires and replaced one. This was the 8th or 9th tire re-placed on this car since the switch to Michelin. His advice to me was as much as I drive, about 30,000 miles a year,was to ask them for a replacement car. My local dealer had already told me this was possible. The Park Avenue has been dropped from production. I am not sure what I want at this point. I had rather have the car fixed because I love the car otherwise.
Three things; # 1- My dealer, Crain Automotive have been great. I could not ask for better help with this problem. They tried. # 2- Bergstrom Buick Cadillac Hummer is a wonderfull dealer also. They were very nice, explained everything well and even let me have a loaner car. All Warranted
Two great dealerships. Two great service managers and great techs. in their shops.
By the way, Bergstrom cut the vibration in Half. # 3-Thanks to Automotive Forums. A great website for automotive enthusiasts and automotive information.
I hope this helps someone in the future.
Thanks to all including Crain Automotive and Bergstrom. I would not hesitate to buy a vehicle from either one of these dealerships.

John C. Reedy
JCR62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:02 PM   #5
PAveOwner
AF Newbie

Re: 2005 Buick Park Avenue Vibration

John: Thanks very much for your post. I have been busily shuttling my 2005 Park Avenue back and forth to the Buick dealer. The personal service I have received from the dealer has been outstanding, unfortunately they have been unable to correct the vibration I and my pasengers feel above 60 mph. I have made 4 or 5 trips to date and have had the tires replaced with Michelins and have had several force balancings but the net is always the same. I was beginning to think it was me until I read your post.

My next action is to talk with the GM Customer Care people tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for starting this thread. I'm guessing that we may not be alone here for long.

Jack
PAveOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 07:14 PM   #6
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque
Re: 2005 Buick Park Avenue vibration

I always wonder if changing the wheels to a different style (either aftermarket or from another GM such as Regal, Cadillac, or Grand Prix wheels) could fix the problem. Sure its expensive but if you really like the car it might be worth it.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels