Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
Chris2007
AF Newbie

2001 fuel rail removal

No this is a Venture, not the Impala, but the 3.4's are identical, as anyone knows.

Damned things is tough. I pried up with a long screwdriver with electrical tape wrapped around it so as not to mar anything. I removed the harness and the fuel line/pressure regulator. So tight. This guy uses a screwdriver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODEMKZePT-4

The A1 auto guy uses a long prybar, which is what I'm going to try. It's got to come up, no? The only reason I have to get in there is to replace the rotted heater hose/pipe, which won't line up properly because the straps that get screwed down to hold the fuel rail in place prevent positioning it properly (I did pry up on the rail enough to sneak it under all that). Therefore I guess I'll just have to pry it off. The Dorman tech told me that pipe gets hammered (w/a mallet) into the tube using an open end wrench. This fuel rail is just soooo tight. Is that normal?

I'll be glad when this job is over. I don't mind so much getting my hands dirty, just hate when I hit a roadblock. I guess I'll know more and feel better about my abilities when this charade is over. Hope so.
Chris2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2001 fuel rail removal

Chances are, those orings are hard baked......I spray where the injectors enter the lower intake with something like PB Blaster......let it soak those orings.....then gently pry up the injectors where they enter the lower intake.....be patient.....work from the outside in......

Might need to replace those orings.....lube them with petroleum jelly before installation....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
Chris2007
AF Newbie

Ok.manster. that sounds like good avice. Thank ye.

Are you the guy who replied on another thread about installing that heater pipe? Is that an error prone procedure (am I going to muss it up?)? Dorman tech said use a suitable open end wrench and bang on that.it seems it's a matter of alignment, which is why I have tp pry the rail up further.

And I find out there's another pipe behind the thermostat. It probably rotted too. Changing that will be a lot easier. But nothing is easy on this van.
Chris2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
la1
AF Regular

makes me KRINGE when I see work being done and all those openings that a bolt or screw could drop into, stuff a rag in them.
la1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS