Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
PAC2285
AF Newbie

95 Cutlass Supreme Radiator Drain Plug Urgent Need Help

I just went to go flush my radiator and change my coolant because as i was driving home my 95 cutlass supreme 3.1 sl coupe was overheating. ive had problems with it leaking for a while now a real slow leak whenever i was driving for more than 20 minutes or so but it was different this time

trying to flush, when i went to open the drain plug i noticed it wasnt there. so i went and purchased a new drain plug and tried to put it in and it did not fit. i made sure it was the right part so its not that its the wrong one.

How would I go about putting in the new drain plug. something is obstructing it because it only goes in to just past the rubber o ring around the end of it. i also noticed that the coolant is leaking from the outside of the rubber o ring that is around the hole where the drain plug goes in

are there any suggestions as to what to do about the o ring and how to put the new drain plug in it is not a threaded one i have looked everywhere and cant find anything
here is a picture of the part it does not even look like that little metal piece sticking out of the side would even fit in the hole even if it wasnt obstructed
PAC2285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Cressidaadr
AF Regular

Re: 95 cutlass supreme Drain plug urgent need help

Try getting a very good light and small inspection mirror and take a careful look to see if the old one is broken off. If so maybe try needle nose pliers to work it out.

There has to be something in that opening or the radiator would not be holding any coolant.

If you have no luck you may have to take the radiator out of the car to figure it out.
Cressidaadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
PAC2285
AF Newbie

hey its the op

i filled the car up with water and it didnt leak from the drain plug, so heres what i came up with although i am in every sense of the word a sporadic amateur mechanic

the radiator drain plug is broken off in the insertion it was the leak from the gasket of the drain plug that had slowly drained my car of its coolant

i still need to figure out a way to remove the old drain plug when it is broken off inside. the needle nose pliers dont have any grip to produce torque and it is not threaded so ez out isnt an option

another question if i was to take it to a radiator shop how much would it be to get the drain plug changed and that little o-ring/gasket replaced?
PAC2285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

the o-ring is part of the plug in your picture.....

Ran into this once, drilled a hole and then inserted a long screw.....then was able to grab the end of the screw with a small pair of vice grips and pull it out...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote