Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX > Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Technical Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other technical issues here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
Corey170
AF Newbie

acceleration lag

I have an 89 240sx, auto, hb. Everything was fine up until today when i was driving i was having problems. when i accelerate from stop (~700 rpm idle) the tac will go up and the engine will rev but the car will not actually move until about half a second later; somewhat of a time lag. I also noticed that my car almost stalled at one of these starts and that it would shift in and out of one gear (i think 3rd/4th) when its close between them. All this began as of today and I checked the tranny fluid/oil which are both fine.

PS: yesterday i changed my oil, air filter, and tightened one of my fan belts (cam/alternator)
Old 04-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

Re: acceleration lag

transmission issue. you may need a rebuild.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Corey170
AF Newbie

update...

Sorry for giving the wrong info but its actually a lag between when i hit the gas and when the engine actually revs up (ie: throttle possibly?). Also, i had a hard time starting my car today; the engine would turn over but it would not start up until i gave it some gas (and its fuel injected). please can someone help im worried about my poor 240
Old 04-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Firewind
AF Newbie

Could be a lot of things, if the engine isn't revving up right away could be the throttle positioning sensor. Could be your MAF, get some maf cleaner and spray that up a bit and clean it off.

Do lower RPMs seem sluggish? make the car chug a little? I doubt this is it, but if your spark plugs are old, maybe they need replacement. Check for vacuum leaks too.
Firewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
Corey170
AF Newbie

yeah im thinkin bout just takin it into a mechanic. it seems like a fuel injector problem, possible engine flooding. idle is usually fine (~700 rpm) but when i give it gas it drops down to about 500 rpm and basically stalls. high rpm's are essentially fine
Old 05-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Corey170
AF Newbie

another update.. i checked the ECU and got the ol' 55 (no malfunction). If the ECU says my car is fine, but its not, then I dont know what the problem is! probly a job for the mechanics... if anybody's got any info i would be glad to hear it!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
Corey170
AF Newbie

just thot i would post a reply because i fixed the problem. relaced the coolant temperature sensor (to ECU, not gauge). ran me about $50, very easy fix.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
nate240sx
AF Newbie

i have a 1990 nissan 240sx and i dont have a ecu to fined the problem but i have an idle issue and when i give it gas it boggs down before it picks up. it also has trubble stayin runnin when not in gear. the idle fluxuates as well. plz email me at nathaniel.woodhall@dover.af.mil if u have any ideas what could be the problem..

ps. i changed the plugs wires and oil nothing helped.
nate240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:56 AM   #9
Corey170
AF Newbie

sounds like the same problem I had. replace the coolant temperature sensor (make sure its the right one) its a very easy fix. only cost me about 30$.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX > Technical