Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
LPPrismRacer
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to LPPrismRacer
Turbo kit for 1990 laser

Hey if anyone can help me with this i would really appreciate it. I need a turbo kit for my buddy's 90 lazer. Cheap aftermarket or stock replacement. Please help.
LPPrismRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:29 AM   #2
Diplomat
AF Newbie

Question Re: Turbo kit for 1990 laser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPPrismRacer
"Hey if anyone can help me with this i would really appreciate it. I need a turbo kit for my buddy's 90 lazer. Cheap aftermarket or stock replacement. Please help."
I'm assuming he has a turbo Laser since you mentioned a "replacement" turbo kit. Also, you didn't mention if we're doing an upgrade here or replacing something he broke.

If he just needs a replacement 14B, he could pick up a rebuilt turbo from eBay, if he were desperate or crazy. Personally I'd want something with a warranty on it. Just search the web for companies that rebuild/remanufacture Mitsubishi turbos. You'll find a bunch.

Now if he's looking to upgrade, I can give you all kinds of links. Of course, what kind of turbo depends entirely on what kind of power he wants to make, what kind of racing he does, etc. You can pick up an EVO III 16G (Big 16G) for peanuts and it's a good step up from the 14B with very little increase in lag. Of course, there are a number of other parts he'll need to buy before he upgrades turbos. The 14B is not a bad unit anyway. You can run 11's with it. Hell, a lot of second generation DSM owners toss their stock hair driers in favor of the inexpensive 14B. Unfortunately, without a list of his current modifications, it's hard give advise.

By the way, why does he need a "Turbo Kit"? Is there something wrong with the intercooler and the manifold? You won't find a lot of DSM "Turbo Kits" offered from most companies. The kits are generally designed for people who want to turbocharge a non-turbo. In the DSM world, this is usually a waste of time and money, but mostly money. Mainly because you can pick up a turbo DSM for far less than what you'd pay for a turbo kit, and you can pump more boost through it.

Here's a short list of companies which sell DSM turbo upgrades:

Mach V Motorsports - Easily one of the best DSM shops around. If they don't have it, you probably don't need it.

Buschur Racing - That's right, Dave Buschur's shop. You wanna go fast in a DSM? These guys have it down to a science.

Diamond Star Specialties - Decent prices.

Diamond Star Motorsport - Good source of OE parts as well as aftermarket.

Extreme Motorsports - A trusted name in the DSM community.

Forced Performance - A lot of fast DSM's are running their turbos.

Road Race Engineering - As the name implies, these guys are about more than just going fast in a straight line.

Precision Turbo & Engine - Hard to find a better made turbo, but easy to find a cheaper one.

Slow Boy Racing - Reverse psychology. They make some nice manifolds among other things.

Finally, if you have any other mechanical questions about DSM's, you'll find a lot more help in the Mitsubishi Eclipse or Eagle Talon sections. I'd post my Plymouth Laser questions there. Of course, you'll get far more help if you go to DSMtuners.com. That's where 99% of the DSM gurus hide out.

'90 Laser RS Turbo - Manual

Last edited by Diplomat; 01-12-2005 at 03:48 PM.
Diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > General Discussion