Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Miskec
AF Newbie

Is my transmission shot....again!!?

Had transmission replaced last year with a used one. Now getting same symptoms again, which are

1. Recently, when going from a stop, occasionally there would be a jerk (kind of like wheel slipping then catching on) and then car drives

2. This morning, when van was cold, it drove fine.
As soon as it warmed up, when going from a stop, RPMs would shoot up and van would barely move.

3. Reverse works fine

4. Starting from gear 2 shows no problems

5. Fluid was bit on the low level. Just added more

Does this mean that POS transmission is shot again?

TIA

EDIT: 97 Pontiac Trans Sport

Last edited by Miskec; 09-01-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Miskec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
merc81
AF Enthusiast

Re: Is my transmission shot....again!!?

It doesn't sound good when you say that starting from stop the rpms shoot up and van barely moves.
On the other hand the jerking is a normal failure mode on this trans and you could drive it like that for years. Slipping however is bad--very bad.

Not to pick an old wound, but why purchase a used tranny when for not much more you can have yours rebuilt? I've changed these trannys several times and its no fun. I'd put a rebuilt in there unless I knew the history of the replacement.
merc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

You always take your chances when you install a used Trans.... You will almost never know the history of a used trans...

as well when you install a new trans you always want to make sure that you flush out the Trans Cooler, if you don't you can end up with some of the trash from the old trans in the new trans... So that is another issue..

Also keep in mind that a Trans moving a Van around will not always be a good used trans... Chances are you'll end up with the same problems...

I Rebuilt mine for my van, and to date I have had no issues at all... Its about 25k now and been perfect... about due for a trans fluid change...

BTW, it cost me $650 in general parts to do my rebuild... Would have been $800 if I had bought a new torque converter..
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
merc81
AF Enthusiast

I don't think I'd ever use the old torque converter again--too much gunk gets stuck in there that is only gonna wash out into the rebuilt trans over time.

You can have one rebuilt including a refurb converter for $600 to $800.
merc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

Wow, your not too far from where I am right now...LOL.. New Martinsville with the family...

Someone had replaced the torque converter on my transmission.. When I pulled it it was a Reman unit... as I had no metal chunks at all, no glitter or extra parts in the pan i left it well enough alone... Only thing I had in the pan was clutch mud...

When I did the rebuild, the Reverse Reaction Drum, The 4th Input Hub as well as the output shaft were all replaced with hardened parts... All of the frictions plates and steels were replaced as well.... I didn't leave anything out, I made sure this rebuild was going to stand the test of time..

I don't see too many places doing this rebuild for anything less than $1000, unless they reuse a lot of the parts within the trans which I refused to do..
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport