Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 06:50 PM   #1
SwaveDave
AF Enthusiast

Questions on The T56 Viper Trans.

This trans. is available with adapters for a 1970 Corvette. Im thinking of getting one. Would like to know your impression of the Gearbox ; is it quiet, and what rpms do u turn in 6th going say...70 mph ??

Thanks,

Dave
1. 1970 Corvette, T Tops, 468/540 h.p/600 tq. Roller Motor , EDL Oval Port Alum Heads, EDL AirGap Intake, M21 4 speed, 370 rear, twin electric radiator fans, electric fuel pump, EDL 800 carb, MSD ignition, Mallory 9000 Electronic Distributor, L88 hood with 100% fresh air. (Dont let the car fool you...my treasure is in heaven).

2. 2006 LS2 Corvette . Headers. 3" racing exhaust. Soon to be SuperCharged to 630 gross h.p. (dont let this car fool you either...my real treasure is in heaven) .
SwaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 01:59 AM   #2
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

It depends if you get a Borg Warner version of the T or a Tremac version of it. The Borg Warner versions were beefier and more durable.

I personally don't care for the Viper's T-56 because 4th gear is really goofy. I don't believe that the C5 Corvette version has the same problem. On a road course, 4th gear is the gear that most people screw the pooch on (both upshifting and downshifting).

It's pretty durable for a street tranny, but marginal on Vipers that are built up. You cannot speed or power shift this tranny... IMO.

What application are you going to use your Vette for? It's hard to give you a viewpoint without your input.

Brad

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:57 AM   #3
SwaveDave
AF Enthusiast

95% street / 5% drag racing.

Is it quiet ?

Thanks, Dave
1. 1970 Corvette, T Tops, 468/540 h.p/600 tq. Roller Motor , EDL Oval Port Alum Heads, EDL AirGap Intake, M21 4 speed, 370 rear, twin electric radiator fans, electric fuel pump, EDL 800 carb, MSD ignition, Mallory 9000 Electronic Distributor, L88 hood with 100% fresh air. (Dont let the car fool you...my treasure is in heaven).

2. 2006 LS2 Corvette . Headers. 3" racing exhaust. Soon to be SuperCharged to 630 gross h.p. (dont let this car fool you either...my real treasure is in heaven) .
Old 07-19-2003, 10:33 AM   #4
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

The T-56 is very quite. For drag racing you'll probably swap out the flywheel and go to a two piece Kevlar clutch. I am not a drag racer, but I understand that they normally go to a heavier flywheel so they can spool up to higher rpm's.

In setting up a road racing car, we go to lighter flywheels like Fidanza's. The Luk clutch that comes in Vipers can easily take up to 600 HP, but will not stand up to high rev launches (and the heat associated with them).

I would also strongly recommend a transmission cooler to preserve and extend the life of your tranny.

DO NOT use Redline transmission oils in T-56! Something in Redline oils (and ATF) eats the synchromesh away.

I hope that this helps. Good luck.

Brad

Old 07-19-2003, 11:19 AM   #5
SwaveDave
AF Enthusiast

Brad, Thanks much for the info. WHeres the best place to pick up a BorgWarner T56 ? Thanks, Dave

Old 07-19-2003, 10:51 PM   #6
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Probably a Viper graveyard. C5 Vettes have the Tremac's in them too.

Why are you so set on a T-56?

Old 07-20-2003, 07:24 AM   #7
SwaveDave
AF Enthusiast

I hear the T56 and S640 6 speeds are the most durable out there.

Old 07-20-2003, 11:54 AM   #8
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
Originally posted by Viper 10

DO NOT use Redline transmission oils in T-56! Something in Redline oils (and ATF) eats the synchromesh away.

I hope that this helps. Good luck.

Brad

is that aplies to all the transmissions out there or just with the T56? I heard that redline oils were suposed to be really good.....but if you say that they might have issues with transmissions i'll stay away from using them then....

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:44 PM   #9
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino

is that aplies to all the transmissions out there or just with the T56? I heard that redline oils were suposed to be really good.....but if you say that they might have issues with transmissions i'll stay away from using them then....
Just T-56's.

Old 07-21-2003, 08:48 PM   #10
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
Originally posted by Viper 10

Just T-56's.

ok thanks

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster