Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
Danice2003
AF Newbie

Sherline (in Europe)

Hi,

I've been reading and reading posts in this forum and I'm convinced now I want to buy a small lathe! I've been looking at various brands like Optimum, quantum, proxxon, ... and in the end, they all look great, but in one way or the other, they are limited in what you can do with them.

Looking at the Sherline website, I think this is the better solution. Secondly, there's a dealer in my area (I live in Belgium and Sherline is in the States, so a BENELUX dealer is great to have) and he already gave me some good advice.

I just need a comment from people owning a Sherline. Have you seen, for this price, better machines on the market or is Sherline the best way to go?

Thanks a lot for all your answers,

Tom
Danice2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Re: Sherline (in Europe)

Hi Tom, and welcome!

You've probably noticed that what tools to buy is a popular topic here.

Sherline makes terrific equipment, and I would unhesitatingly recommend them to anyone- assuming it will be large enough for what you will want to do with it. Size is really the only limitation with Sherline gear. It's small size and terrific quality makes it second to none for small scale work- but some machinists will find the size to be a major constraint.

So it really depends on you, and your planned uses. What do you want to make?

Having a local dealer is fantastic- it's an advantage many of us do not have. I expect that the dollar/euro exchange rate also makes Sherline look good now.

If you know Sherline tools are large enough for your plans, it would be difficult (or impossible) to find better gear.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools