Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 AM   #1
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Sami Aaltonen
Vauhdin Maailma magazine scans - BPR and FIA GT Championship

Finally got this project ready. Fully edited and scanned.

This case started a week ago asking a permision Vauhdin Maailma (Speed World by English) scan and publish these stories, articles and images on my Blog and share them with you here.

Fortunately I got the licence to do this, so this is good point to give a big thanks Vauhdin Maailma's chief editor allowing me to do this and share these magazines with you.

Text is writen by Finish, but if you have something what you want to know, please ask me; I try to translate them for you.
Hope you like these.

Vauhdin Maailma 1/1997
Helsinki Motor Show - J.J Lehto presenting #16R.
The second page, right in to the middle, The Motor Show speaker; Harri Ponttinen is sitting on the #16R.

Some parts of the image text:
First page J.J Lehto comments: "Last season's car was made by road car, in 1997 season we race a truly race car. The new one is 150kg lighter and at the Jerez testing, it was over 5 seconds quicker than old version."

Second page: "Harri Ponttinen had only one target to aim for, to get behind McLaren's streeringwheel."

Vauhdin Maailma 3/1997
FIA GT Championship to the Helsinki

Vauhdin Maailma 4/1997
All starts to be ready

J.J Lehto's comments : "1997 year GTR McLaren can do about 4 second improvements per lap. The biggest reason for better times are the new front suspension, which makes the car more stable; and the 100kg decrease of weight and a small increase of horse power helps also".

Vauhdin Maailma 5/1997
Supercars at Helsinki 23.5-25.5
Spectarors guide; presenting cars and drivers and F3000

Same number continues with GT Season opening from Hockenheim:

Second page image text:
J.J got from his daughter chickenpox and that almoust spoilled his weekend plans. License to drive was clear just after medical examination. Steve Soper drove a long stint midlle of the race while J.J was resting at the pitlane".

Vauhdin Maailma 6/1997
J.J's Show!
The Home victory was well worth it!

Vauhdin Maailma 7/1997
Le Mans 1997

Third page image text:
"1995 year Le Mans winner J.J Lehto's race was spoiled by technical problems right after 3 hours time. Fantastic final sprint ended up to the wall".

Vauhdin Maailma 8/1997
Nurburgring and Spa

Vauhdin Maailma 9/1997
Mercedes are closing up;
A1-Ring and Suzuka 1000km

Vauhdin Maailma 10/1997
FIA GT at Donington; J.J has still hopes for the Championship!

Image text of #8 McLaren : Changed rule regulations made it possible that J.J has still changes with Steve Soper chacing the Champioship".

Vauhdin Maailma 11/1997
FIA GT at Mugello and Sebring ; Fighting hard and got the victory;
Fitght gets harder.

"J.J give a big hand to Steve who did fantastic job haning behind Mercedes".

Vauhdin Maailma 12/1997
Glory to Mercedes

J.J's comments :"We retieried from second place and losed our lead position, the problems here at Laguna Seca did not took the championship from us. I did not get the tyres working at all, the car was sliding and understeered all over the place. So at the end I went to Peter Kox and Robert Ravaglia's car so Steve left fithting those problems with Ropert."

So.....this was the FIA GT Season writen by Vauhdin Maailma 1997.
HOpe you liked and hope the links are working. I strugleded abit those but hopely they work like they should work.

----
Kuvat.fi -McLaren F1 GTR and many others!

Last edited by Sami Aaltonen; 01-27-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Sami Aaltonen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sami Aaltonen For This Useful Post:
peter i (02-26-2014)
Old 01-27-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts
Re: Vauhdin Maailma 1997 - FIA GT Championship

Glad you got it on here
Old 01-27-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstg01 View Post
Glad you got it on here
Yep, finally I can give something "new" things to you.

----

Old 01-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
tdc911
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami Aaltonen View Post
Yep, finally I can give something "new" things to you.
Thanks for going to this effort and sharing.
tdc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc911 View Post
Thanks for going to this effort and sharing.
No problem!!

----

Old 01-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Le Man
AF Enthusiast

Well done Sami

Excellent work, good to see the coverage from Vauhdin Maailma, reporting on one of Finlands top drivers. The magazine staff have done an excellent job, better I say, than "Autosport" here in the UK. When I have time, I shall put the text through Google translate and have a good read. Thankyou.

On behalf of everbody here on the F1 forum. Please send our thanks and gratitude to the chief editor of Vauhdin Maailma, for allowing you to post their magazines content. Top man
Le Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
DocGTR
AF Regular

Great work Sami!

Adds another perspective to the 1997 season! Many great earlier unseen images in these articles.
DocGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Thank you Le Man and Doc for comments!
I wasnt' really sure how these Finish articles would go here, but seems it was worth to do this.
And really good to hear, these can be compared to Auto Sport, never believed that these can be even better. England is the home of Motorsport, anyway you look at it.

I think the Vauhdin Maailma's chief editor has got my recent email, I linked this Thread to him and my Blog site also, so I think he will be delighted this. Hopely!

----

Old 01-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25

What a staggering amount of effort you must have put in to sharing all of this! It is certainly appreciated by this F1 enthusiast - without a doubt.

I might not be able to read it, but as Doc points out there are many images in those pages that I've never come acrossed elsewhere and so that part alone was worth it for me. Don't hesitate to share things like this in the future.

Thanks!!

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #10
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Good to hear that this was worth to do then. Really good to hear.

Just let you all know, I'm looking for others Vauhdin Maailma's magazines 1996 and 1995 to reach these stories of J.J and BPR GT series 1996 and of course the Le Mans 1995.

So I think I upload them here also, same magazine stories even the year isn't the same. But I think it's best that way.

----

Old 01-29-2010, 01:56 AM   #11
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25

I can always edit the title to something different if you need me to, but I'd agree to keep all the content in one place either way.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:05 AM   #12
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

OK, I add all Vauhdin Maailma's articles here, if and when I find one. Good!

----

Old 02-05-2010, 02:28 AM   #13
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Re: Vauhdin Maailma magazine scans - BPR and FIA GT Championship

Finally I got some new Vauhdin Maailma magazines. These are from 1995 year. Now when this Thread's name has been changed, these belongs here defenitely.

Vauhdin Maailma 7/1995
Head Line:
JJ'S LE MANS WIN!
Cover picture of Le Mans, #08R GULF #25.
"He was the quickest McLaren driver of the qualifying, 3 min 57 seconds and verifyed the 9th place starting grid."

I think I should translate this for you, some parts of the text. Hope you understand the text. And this text has been made by Finish view, so hope you don't mind the way how it has been writed. I marked the titles of the text so it's easier to follow it.
I think this is a wonderfull story about that race, that's why I try to translate it for you.

CORVETTE PULLED OUT A NEW RECORD
"J.J was in good mood and waited this first stint. Dalmas started the race and the an orginal purpose was each driver will do about 2 hours stint depending on the fuel and tyre circumstances. After three hours, 4 of 5 quickest cars were McLarens".

FAST AND FASTER
"JJ started his first stint 20.35pm when the team was in sixth place. He was immediately quick and was able to pull an hour and half his team on fifth place. Like last time 1991, he drove same laptimes on daylight than night."

"At 10pm JJ was allready climbed fourth and reached the leading cars by a lap. When the night came, others droped their speeds, instead of JJ who was 4-5 seconds quicker than rest of the field. And midle of the night the quickest. Inside two hours the team was rised from 6th to 3rd place when he 22.40pm gaved the car again to Dalmas."

"JJ's next stint started right after midnight, 00.49am and that point the team was in 3rd place and his stint was over on 02.47am. 4am the team was in second position thanks to JJ's incredible speed at night. Radio Le Mans were amazed many times about his performance at night."

"When the morning arrivaled the rain stoped. Temporary. Main straight was dry, but Mulsane wet. Cuted slicks were the best choise. JJ was "taking a nap" about three hours between 3-6am and Lazante's team remaing second in the race. 7.02am JJ was back on the track again, everything was still possible, 9 hours were left the race. JJ drove fantasticly and reached lap after lap the leading McLaren, Bell/Bell/Wallace. When he finally 08.55am gave the car to Dalmas, Dalmas did his job perfectly and soon after geting back on the track overtook the Harrods car and took the lead position."

"French television wondered and amazed JJ's performance but still he hasn't gaved his all yet. Again JJ started a next stint on 11.57am same time when Harrods team changed drivers and the car sat Derek Bell, started a two hours exiting show".

AND JJ PUSHED HARDER
"Because changing of brake pads number 59 car left from the leading pace, same time team changed "dry weather" rearwing on the car. Derek Bell was forced to give his all to reach same lap times than the Fin was driving that point. Two hours to the finnish and Harrods was back on the pits. The clutch failure delayed the car and just a while go Dalmas has taken the car from JJ who now took the leading position again."

"JJ defenitely had done a hard work, he had cramps of his legs because of dehytration. This moment three cars had changes get the win, time was left only 32 minutes. Harrods clutch problems droped the team at the end 3rd and fantastic laptimes made Helary rised the Courage Porsche to second."

"And so the winners of the race, quite suprisingly but so earned (thanks to JJ's performance), the team after hard negotations at the very last moment got from the McLaren chassis number 001 (#01R) to the Le Mans race. There is only a few people who know how they did it, because 001 (#01R) has been McLaren's "holy" testcar, what they used to seting up the other McLaren teams cars to this specific race."

"And the second point; Lazante is almoust like an artits name. Team manager and mechanics were found there and there and the drivers three diferent countries, but this all makes a stunning team.

"In the JJ's case, the race was perfect. Just refuiling, new tyres and nothing more. Dalmas and Sekyas worries were at least as small.
The undersinged lost all words to see the moment when Lehto, Dalmas and Sekiya were guided to the highest podium.
Jyrki Järvilehto, Finland, there you belong!"

----

Last edited by Sami Aaltonen; 02-05-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:18 AM   #14
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Vauhdin Maailma 9/1995
Presenting McLaren F1 GTR

The car is 1995 GTR #02R, Sala, Bellm.

Everywhere is carbonfibre, only the dashboard has been done different material

First image from the left:
Clearly seen the gearstick, on the background seen the pedals and the right side of the gearstick is lights- and windscreen wiper switches. On the consol are starting button, ingnition and fuel pumps switches. And down package of relays. Down the right seen electronic system wires.

The second image, right:
There is no luggage room. Here it would be normaly. Now it has been replaced by fuel injection system and gearbox oil bin. The red button longside the drivers names is "open door button".

I'm very sorry, but I just couldn't find a desend translations of these very technical terms. Unfortunately! Hope the image will tell at least something.

Drive shaft on its place! Upper of that is a huge tube, which brings cooling air on the rear brakes. Long pipes above of the engine are pushing fresh air to the engine, also seen the thortle leverage system. Also seen four exhausts tubes.

Right hand side luggage room has been replaced by the air pipe, wich brings cooling air to the gearbox. Upside of that can be found an engine oil refilling hole, and behind that the oilbin. The black box is the battery.

Hope you liked these, and understood the translations at least 90%. There were many very technical words, which I couldn't found anywhere. Hope that doesn't mind.
The article was very good.

Here some parst of it:
"F1 road car and GTR version has only 80 same parts, rest of the parts are different. GTR version has nothing comfort parts on the suspension. Everything has been boltet on togehter. This way has been possible to minimalize all torgue moments which are directed to the chassis. Other differences are of course the engine side. Maxium revs has been droped a bit but there is a bit more torque than F1 road car engine has. Maurizio Sala said, that the car is very easy to drive fast, if the lap times are 3-5 seconds of the lead pace. You need to be a real driver to drive the car on it's limits".

"There are no big differences on the engines, 4 hours races will do with out problems. In fact, GULF team drove the first 7 races with same engine. For the Le Man's race, the engine was rebuild by BMW. The last 5 races of the season were driven again same engine. In fact, any GTR's hasn't got any engine problems".

"For the Le Mans, there was made serval improvements. The gearbox oiling were improved by changing more powerfull pump and also the cooling system were improved. Also diferent air intakes were improved and changed and there places were also changed."

"Most of the bigest and most expensive changes were the brakes. Old steel brakes were replaced by carbon fibre brakes. Same time they size were increased. Braking distances are now shorter and there is no problems anymore of loosing them by the heat.
A big four piston, one peace brake saddle will mean good brake performance. Also the 12kg save of the wait per brake, is big thing".

"Streering wheel has two buttons, radio and screen display changing button."

"McLaren Cars company has every race it's own enginerings and own trailer. They keep a precise race diary, suporting teams mechanics and listen to the drivers. Operating this way has been got a good vision for the future plans, which way the car should develop."

Thank you for helping GULF TEAM!

---

Hope you liked, I think this was better article than I expected. A lot!

And the big resolution images can be found on my Blog site, 1024 size.
Please do not be shy to save them!

----

Last edited by Sami Aaltonen; 02-05-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
Le Man
AF Enthusiast

Another fantastic contribution Sami . Well done.

Great tech article on #02R, thankyou for your translation. Makes for some interesting reading.

Many thanks again to Vauhdin Maailma magazine for allowing you to post this excellent content
Le Man is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1