Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
praisethelowered
AF Regular

transmission life span?

The trans on my 99 suburban just went out at 71K miles. Fortunately I have an extended warantee. It started with an ocasional hard shift, or slamming in to gear, and quickly deteriorated into an almost constant slamming between gears over 2 days. I had noticed a code showing a transmission slip 2 weeks earlier, but hadn't felt any problems. I guess my real question is: how long does the average transmission last? As for how I use/ drive the truck: The biggest thing I've ever trailered is a ford ranger on a tow dolly down hill for 50 miles. I never tow in overdrive. I have 3:42 gears. I am the second owner, it was originally a corporate lease vehicle. I changed the tranny fluid and filter at 60K right after I got it. I do do a lot of mountain driving, maybe 1000' elevation change over 15 miles.
praisethelowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:42 AM   #2
pies
AF Regular

Re: transmission life span?

depends on your driving habbits, but my 88 and 93 both had 400,000 klms on them and are still running . my 2000 has 160,000 on it . it shifts strange sometimes but still seems to be ok. i change the fluid and filter every 60,000.
pies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:22 AM   #3
praisethelowered
AF Regular

Re: Re: transmission life span?

My wife does most of the driving and she drives like a grandmother. I just want to make sure GM transmissions don't have the same problems as Chryslers.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
Dirtsled
AF Newbie

I've read a few places that suggest leaving these tranny's out of overdrive unless your truly hiway cruising on fairly level ground. City, stop-n-go, and low speed driving when in overdrive makes that tranny shift constantly when in OD.

It made sense the way it was described so I'm trying to follow that suggestion. Only @ 50k on my 99, so it may be a while before I can tell if it legthened its life at all, though I do tow quite a bit.
Dirtsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
praisethelowered
AF Regular

I don't notice it shifting a lot, but the idea is definately a sound one. I may have to try it with the new tranny.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #6
Eggert
AF Regular

Hi, I have 95k on my 01 Yukon XL K2500.
No tranny problems, flushed at 60k.
I always use the OD (4th gear) as it is designed to be.
You have it to save gas and engine wear.
There is one situation where you do not use OD: towing.
I tow a 10,000 lbs camper.
If your tranny hunts (shifts constantly) using OD then something is broken and needs to be fixed.
Take care, Eggert
Eggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
Dirtsled
AF Newbie

I hear what you are saying Egg, but your tranny and the one in a '99 are very different. I own a new body style GMC pick-up as well and the "updated" tranny and computer combo does much better job when in city and heavy traffic by not being so eager to shift into OD.

For instance my wife is the type of driver who accelerates to speed then let's off the gas quite a bit, accelerates lets off, accelerates lets off. (I always ask her if she notices that.) But in the Burban that poor tranny is constantly going from OD/4th to 3rd if it is in 'D', the truck doesn't it delays the OD shift more, aka learns quicker or better.
Dirtsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:13 AM   #8
saprano3
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to saprano3

I've got a 95 and had the tranny rebuilt at 130,000 miles
saprano3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:08 AM   #9
sub006
AF Enthusiast

I have a '90 2WD with 700R4.

Original trans went out at 85,000 miles (first service at 50,000, I know, too long).

Rebuilt with HD clutches and external trans oil cooler went 100,000 milkes, then started to slip. Flush and complete change to 100% Mobil 1 ATF got me another 115,000 miles before debris from a fragged bearing killed trans #2.

I belong the the BMW club and found similar problems with their tech group. Learned that ATF is NOT a replacement for the oil that bearings crave. Per their recommendations, trans #3 was filled 100% with Redline D4 ATF ($10/qt), which may the only ATF that truly lubricates bearings. Now approaching 100,000 miles with no pan debris or other signs of wear at annual (30,000 mile) servicings.

So I have learned that regular ATF is only for a car you will sell soon, Mobil 1 is the MINIMUM for any extended service, Redline or equivalent premium product (look into Amsoil) is what your "keeper" vehicle needs!
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:13 AM   #10
AF Regular

I have an 1999 4x4 with 160,000 and not trans problem and a 1996 2 door 4x4 with 179,000 and a small nosie for the last 8,000 miles but no problem.
010175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:03 AM   #11
markg96
AF Newbie

I have a '95 2-Dr with 145k miles. Original trans went at 60k, rebuilt with HD parts. Trans cooler is stock on this truck. Current trans still working fine.

Tow a 5000# boat, have 3.42 gears and 265's.
markg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:50 AM   #12
praisethelowered
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg96
I have a '95 2-Dr with 145k miles. Original trans went at 60k, rebuilt with HD parts. Trans cooler is stock on this truck. Current trans still working fine.

Tow a 5000# boat, have 3.42 gears and 265's.

Is yours an external cooler, or the one inside the radiator. I'm towing a 3500# travel trailer, I'm glad to know that since I have the same gears you do it'll be up to the task.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #13
Eggert
AF Regular

Hi,
your drivers manual will tell your tow rating. I think it is 5,000 or 7,000 lbs.
You can add the small (about 6x8) external tranny cooler and connect the engine cooler (if you have one in the other end cap) with factory parts.
I did this on a 95 Suburban K1500, even without towing anything.
You will need to exchange one tranny line with a longer one and get a short line going from the main radiator to the new small one in front of them all.
Also, please check if you have the engine oil cooler in the drivers side endcap of the radiator.
It may be plugged with 2 green plastic caps.
You can get a different oil filter flange from where you have 2 lines going to the front.
Take care, Eggert
Eggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:22 PM   #14
mitch2264
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisethelowered
The trans on my 99 suburban just went out at 71K miles. Fortunately I have an extended warantee. It started with an ocasional hard shift, or slamming in to gear, and quickly deteriorated into an almost constant slamming between gears over 2 days. I had noticed a code showing a transmission slip 2 weeks earlier, but hadn't felt any problems. I guess my real question is: how long does the average transmission last? As for how I use/ drive the truck: The biggest thing I've ever trailered is a ford ranger on a tow dolly down hill for 50 miles. I never tow in overdrive. I have 3:42 gears. I am the second owner, it was originally a corporate lease vehicle. I changed the tranny fluid and filter at 60K right after I got it. I do do a lot of mountain driving, maybe 1000' elevation change over 15 miles.
I had to replace my transmission last month in my '99. It just turned 60,000 miles! I was just sick over that--it still smarts! We were coming off of vacation and it started slipping and acting up when we got off of the interstate. I have maintianed everything and had the transmission serviced, per the owner's manual, at 50,000 miles. My Suburban has never pulled a trailer! I totally baby my Suburban and still cannot believe the transmission went out.

I had the local Chevy dealer do it--I probably paid way more than I should have, but the replacement is an off the shelf "Goodwrench" 4L60E with a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. I called GM to see if I could get some sort of assistance (yeah, right--but you never know if you don't ask). GM is yet to call me back!
mitch2264 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban