Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 04:49 AM   #1
88prelude
AF Newbie

Swap B20A5 for B18b

Does anyone forsee any problem with replacing my old and tire b20a5 to a b18b (originally came from 97 integra)? Will the axles fit? Mount? Is there anyone out there who done this swap before? My 88 prelude SI is in great condition cosmetically. Smoke is in the exhaust, I quess the rings and or head gasket is worned. I have consider rebuilding the engine but it probably won't last. I know it won't pass emissions coming next May. Hope someone out there who has done this swap or attempted to do it. Please let me learn from your mistakes or follow you on you sucesses. thanks
88prelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 03:30 PM   #2
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Hmmm, interesting one.

I Dont think its an easy swap. Although they are both B series enignes, in 1990 when the B16 came out, there was a change in the block casting.
And I believe this involved a change in the G/box mounting bolts.
Meaning you would have to use the Later B18b g/box and hope the axles are the same length (and I dont think they will be), as well as getting custom engine mounts.

You would also have to worry about either wiring your car for OBDII to use the B18b ECU, or hope your current ECU could run the B18b.

However, all is not lost. You can still get B20a's from 88-89 accords and Preludes imported from Japan, or from another USDM car.
So you can just replace your engine with another one.
It will be a lot cheaper, and save having to mess around with a new G/box etc.

If you are looking for a challange, then forget about the B18b, and go with a B16a. I know its been done, but you do need some custom mounts and to do some tricky stuff with the axles, its exactly the same as doing a B18b swap but you get a lot more Hp out of it.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:04 AM   #3
90CRXZCSi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 90CRXZCSi Send a message via Yahoo to 90CRXZCSi
You can always throw in a H22. Torque, Torque, Torque...ok i'll stop.
90CRXZCSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 03:19 PM   #4
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
You can not just throw an H22 into an 88 prelude. Its not even remotly the same as a later model prelude.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:30 AM   #5
88prelude
AF Newbie

Ok Moppie, I took your addvice and purchase a B20a. I notice it doesn't have an egr. That's the only difference I see between these two engine. What would you recommend, should I install it with or without the EGR? What problems if I do run without the EGR? Is there a fix? Thanks for all your generous help.
88prelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 02:31 AM   #6
Moppie
Master Connector

I assume you mean you got a B20a from another Prelude, and not from a CRV? becuase the two blocks should be differnt.

Anyway, you can use all the intake and exhaust bits from your old B20a engine. Inlcuding the EGR, its likley the wreacker you got it from simply left it off.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:08 AM   #7
Vtecv
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Vtecv
If you are looking for a great price on JDM ENIGNES, body kits, and accessories check out http://members.aol.com/vtecv

plans for a B16a in may
Vtecv is offline   Reply With Quote