Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 01:55 PM   #1
Maximuswood
AF Newbie

Coolant flush issue

i was trying to do an engine only flush because i removed my old radiator and thermostat. I put on a new upper hose over the reinstalled thermostat housing only. i put a garden hose into the upper hose and a bucket to catch coolant out of the bottom hose. We started the van and began shooting water through the upper hose. i didnt tighten the clamp for the upper hose around the thermostat housing, nor did i put a seal since i was going to have to remove it all again later to install the thermostat. As we began flushing the engine, water was leaking a lot from either the loose hose or the thermostat housing without a seal. Everything was going fine for a few minutes, light orange coolant flowing out. We shut the engine off to empty out the collected coolant. When we went to resume flushing more, the engine wouldnt start.

P0505 idle air control. I also have the air intake tube extension removed. It extends to the front of the grill. I do have the air filter installed still. I think we are going to just let the engine bay dry out for the day and try again tomorrow, skipping the rest of the straight flush since im selling the van soon, and finishing first with a back flush before putting everything back together.

Does anyone know if there could be more of an issue here than letting the engine bay dry out?
Maximuswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:25 PM   #2
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: Coolant flush issue

Probably ran your water pump dry.

I'd reconnect the entire system and fill with distilled water. Move or use ramps to get the van's front end higher than the rear. Assuming it will start... Run the engine until it is hot, the thermostat cycles several times and you get all the air out. Then drain the radiator and add straight coolant until you have a 50/50 mix.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
Maximuswood
AF Newbie

F#$k. I think your right. I know as I recall now, i saw my water pump. I thought i was flushing the system correct direction today but i think i started out with a reverse flush maybe. i will reconnect everything, install thebnew radiator, and close up everything.

Why was the waterpump dry? Was i doing the reverse flush correctly? I had water going into the out side i think, upper radiator hose and thermostat housing, and water was flowing out of the bottom hose, which leads from the water pump?
Old 01-15-2022, 04:30 PM   #4
Maximuswood
AF Newbie

Found a large radiator hose internal size spring inside of the radiator hose. I dont think that belongs there.. the van was worked on a month ago, water pump was replaced. Maybe its from the old water pump
Old 01-15-2022, 06:10 PM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Some hoses have springs inside to help keep shape and to help prevent collapse.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:37 AM   #6
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximuswood View Post
We started the van and began shooting water through the upper hose.
Why did you start the engine? You ran the risk of overheating the engine and also cracking your cylinder heads.

All you needed to do was leave the t-stat housing off, stick the hose in and then blast the water through the engine. Then do the same to a heater hose going to the heater core. Actually you should do the heater core first just in case it dumps crud into the engine block.
alloro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:47 PM   #7
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

Apologies for delay, tried to post several times today, something was funky.

First off, make sure your radiator is not restricted....run a hose in the top (with all radiator hoses off) and see if the water runs freely through and out the bottom. If it doesn't you need a radiator. If it does:

Reconnect lower hose - with spring inside. Lower hose has vacuum since flow through radiator is top to bottom.

Fill radiator with water. Start engine. Let the thermostat open several times until water comes clear out of upper hose. Make sure upper hose pointed in safe directions. Keep radiator full.

Once water runs clear, shut off engine. Drain radiator and reattach upper hose. Fill radiator with 100% coolant, do the math so you get close to 50/50 in the entire system.

Run engine again, with radiator cap off. Probably want to have the front of the vehicle higher than the rear, to help air bubbles escape the system. Keep raditor filled as bubbles come out. Once the thermostat has cycled a couple of times with no bubbles, put the cap back on and fill the reservoir.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van