Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 01:15 AM   #1
SleeperTeg
AF Enthusiast

My little b18b1 project...

Alright kids...I think I have it figured out, sort of. I've done a bit of research and realized that by b18b1 is a pretty good motor to boost. But before I boost I want to make a good environment for my FI engine. I am going to take it in a few stages and I would appreciate all the feedback you can give me.

Stage 1 - Ignition
MSD Blaster SS coil
MSD SCI with Rev Limiter
NKG Plugs
MSD Wires
I used to have a 66 mustang and I am a huge fan of MSD. Of course getting the tower conversion kit to eliminate the internal coil of my present dist. This may not give me too much power off the get go, but will provide good spark for the high pressures to come and will give me a better start and good idle.

Stage 2 - Exhaust
Really need help with this one. Don't want to sound like a bumble bee but want to give my future turbo enough room to breathe. Cat back definite. Also...are most of these systems bolt and hang or are there some tacks involved. No difference either way, just wondering.

Stage 3 - Fuel Pump
Regulator
Good filter
High flow rail

Stage 4 - Turbocharger
Drag gen3 Kit

I have seen some DRAG kits that come with a Bosch pump, fuel pressure regulator and other bits and pieces. I am just don't want to buy a pump and reg in my 'stage 3' and get a couple more with the turbo kit. A bit more on the kit...where will the downpipe bolt up? On the cat? I have done quite a bit of research, just want to have a good grasp of what's going on before I get into this.
Some sort of Fuel/Boost management system (not standalone, just something to tweak)
ie - Apex'i S-AFC or AVC-R...is there a product that combines boost/fuel?
Turbo Timer

I know this a lot to look over, but I really need some feedback on this stuff. This is a 3-4 month project plan. After the engine is done there will probably be a clutch, flywheel and LSD added to the drivetrain. Then will come the suspension and brakes. My goal is to build a sleeper...no show, all go. Do you know if Acura/Honda makes my wheels in 16 or 17's? I love these wheels, but would love to fill the fenders in just a tad.

Once again, lot of info but would appreciate all the help you can give.

Sleeper
SleeperTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:31 PM   #2
pvang31019
AF Enthusiast

Re: My little b18b1 project...

Quote:
Originally posted by SleeperTeg
Alright kids...I think I have it figured out, sort of. I've done a bit of research and realized that by b18b1 is a pretty good motor to boost. But before I boost I want to make a good environment for my FI engine. I am going to take it in a few stages and I would appreciate all the feedback you can give me.

Stage 1 - Ignition
MSD Blaster SS coil
MSD SCI with Rev Limiter
NKG Plugs
MSD Wires
I used to have a 66 mustang and I am a huge fan of MSD. Of course getting the tower conversion kit to eliminate the internal coil of my present dist. This may not give me too much power off the get go, but will provide good spark for the high pressures to come and will give me a better start and good idle.

Stage 2 - Exhaust
Really need help with this one. Don't want to sound like a bumble bee but want to give my future turbo enough room to breathe. Cat back definite. Also...are most of these systems bolt and hang or are there some tacks involved. No difference either way, just wondering.

Stage 3 - Fuel Pump
Regulator
Good filter
High flow rail

Stage 4 - Turbocharger
Drag gen3 Kit

I have seen some DRAG kits that come with a Bosch pump, fuel pressure regulator and other bits and pieces. I am just don't want to buy a pump and reg in my 'stage 3' and get a couple more with the turbo kit. A bit more on the kit...where will the downpipe bolt up? On the cat? I have done quite a bit of research, just want to have a good grasp of what's going on before I get into this.
Some sort of Fuel/Boost management system (not standalone, just something to tweak)
ie - Apex'i S-AFC or AVC-R...is there a product that combines boost/fuel?
Turbo Timer

I know this a lot to look over, but I really need some feedback on this stuff. This is a 3-4 month project plan. After the engine is done there will probably be a clutch, flywheel and LSD added to the drivetrain. Then will come the suspension and brakes. My goal is to build a sleeper...no show, all go. Do you know if Acura/Honda makes my wheels in 16 or 17's? I love these wheels, but would love to fill the fenders in just a tad.

Once again, lot of info but would appreciate all the help you can give.

Sleeper
you don't need an ignition system....stock is good enough for what you're trying to achieve

exhaust: thermal r&d... 3" with a deep mellow growl, not raspy. You will have to modify the cat(I recomend getting a larger one)

fuel: don't bother, the drag kit comes with everything you need

Drag3 kit comes with a airtex inline pump and vortech FMU

The downpipe will go straight to the cat, but will not bolt up. You have to go to a muffler shop to get a flange welded on and bolt up the downpipe.
pvang31019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 04:35 PM   #3
SleeperTeg
AF Enthusiast

Thank you for the input dude. I am thinking custom mandrel bent exhaust with either a Thermal or GReddy muf. It will be cheaper and a bit more solid with less bends.

I'm sure I will have a better idea about the downpipe welding when I get it. Do you usually just dry-fit it and mark where the flange should be?

Bring on the help, thanks again.

Sleeper
SleeperTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 01:05 PM   #4
pvang31019
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SleeperTeg

I'm sure I will have a better idea about the downpipe welding when I get it. Do you usually just dry-fit it and mark where the flange should be?

Sleeper
that's what we did on my buddy's car
pvang31019 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical