Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Audi > A4 | S4 | RS4 | A5 > '02 - '03
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Aro2220
AF Newbie

buying a 2002 audi in 2009

Hi,

I'm really interested in getting an Audi, but I can't afford a new one. For $17,000+taxes (maybe I could get them to go lower) I have my eye on a 2002 Audi A4 Quattro with 26,000km (not miles) on it.

Yes, this is extremely low KM. This car is in mint condition. The story behind it is that it was owned by some very rich family in a very rich part of Toronto where they probably had five or six cars sitting in a garage. They were likely cared for by some butler who seems to have brought it to Audi for maintenence on time. Though the car only has 26,000km on it, it has been serviced about seven or eight times already.

I drove the car and although I'm no car expert I didn't notice anything strange about the way the car drove. Everything felt great to me. No strange noises, no trouble changing gears (it's an automatic), the engine was smooth, etc...

Even showroom cars have scratches on them and a bit of wear and tear (especially after 8 years) but this car has nothing on it. It even still has a bit of the new car smell.

I read somewhere that the real problem with a car that hasn't been driven for a long time is that hoses and such dry out...but considering how this car drove it might be possible that "Jeeves" the butler (i don't know if jeeves really existed) took the car out once in a while to make sure it would still run well.

For comparison sake, for the same price I could probably get a 2006 A4 Quattro with about 110,000km on it, with some scratches and dings and some wear and tear on the inside of the car.

The other option is an off-lease 2006 Audi A4 3.2L V6 that's going for about $21,000+taxes. I haven't been able to drive it since they haven't finished doing body work to it but I got to see it before they did any work to it. It looks like whoever owned it was some rich kid that just banged it around a bit. There are no obvious signs of an accident but it does look like it got banged up here and there a few times. Probably backing into a pole, kicking the car, jumping on the hood, dropping a cigarette butt on the leather, etc. I will be getting a chance to drive it if I think it's worth the extra money. Oh and it has 110,000km on it.

I could really use some help and advice. I'm really falling in love with these A4's and I've been looking at cars for a while and I need to pick something soon.

I heard that the 2002 A4's had some sludging problems and timing belt problems but it is my understanding that the timing belt is cued for an inspection before it gets sold to me and sludging can be solved by flushing the engine and putting in new synthetic fluids.

Will I be up to my eyeballs in lemonade?
Aro2220 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Audi > A4 | S4 | RS4 | A5 > '02 - '03