Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #106
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Re: Pocher F40 WIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi J View Post
...I'm just silently admiring your incredible craftmanship...

Robi
Thanks Robi, I'm enjoying the build as much as everyone seems to be enjoying watching, but the compliments are appreciated! Taking a break tonight, should have more to post tomorrow evening... Thanks for watching!

BM1
bmwmech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #107
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twowheelsrule View Post
I love the work you are doing! I was wondering how much of this is kit and how much is your own scratch building? This thing is amazingly detailed!

Mark
Mark...
Here is a comparison photo of the kit frame in black plastic on the left and the brass frame I made on the right. Actually, there is no comparison, as you can see.

Now my earlier post about the kit being very mediocre should make more sense.

BM1
Old 02-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #108
Twowheelsrule
AF Enthusiast

I understand now. Basically a Pocher is just a BIG model rather than some super detail million piece kit. I have noticed similar things with some Revell and Tamiya offerings that have only been inlarged to make a bigger version of the subject.

I now realize that you had to do a ton of work to get all of your parts made to look so nice!

Keep it up,
Mark
Twowheelsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 AM   #109
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Basically a Pocher is just a BIG model rather than some super detail million piece kit.
Mark,
Yes and no... the older Pocher kits had parts counts in the 1500-2500 range, so they were million pats kits. They are called the classic series, but the newer, exotics series, the Testarossa, F40 and Carrera 993, are all in the 400-600 parts count range. Huge difference in the two, both in numbers and effective detail level. More stuff about Pocher you never wanted to know, right?

BM1
Old 02-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #110
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

Nice fabrication work BMW! Great progress too. I've been quietly watching this thread with much interest. Are you using soft solder? Would you be willing to discuss your process? I'm particularly impressed with how you maintain alignment of all these parts in three dimensions while not disturbing previous work.

I agree with your general comments regarding Pocher kits. I built the F40 box-stock in about six intense weekend sessions without much drama. It was one of the first kits I built after returning to car modeling as an adult. My next project was the Pocher Bugatti 50T that took over a year of work at a casual yet consistent pace! I am about 80% on a Alfa 8C2300 Monza that has been on again off again for years now because of the level of detail I'm doing and the poor engineering associated with the kit. The great thing about Pocher's is that you can use them as a foundation for a project that comes about as close as one can get to the real thing.
CrateCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #111
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrateCruncher View Post
Nice fabrication work BMW! Great progress too. I've been quietly watching this thread with much interest. Are you using soft solder? Would you be willing to discuss your process? I'm particularly impressed with how you maintain alignment of all these parts in three dimensions while not disturbing previous work.

I agree with your general comments regarding Pocher kits. I built the F40 box-stock in about six intense weekend sessions without much drama. It was one of the first kits I built after returning to car modeling as an adult. My next project was the Pocher Bugatti 50T that took over a year of work at a casual yet consistent pace! I am about 80% on a Alfa 8C2300 Monza that has been on again off again for years now because of the level of detail I'm doing and the poor engineering associated with the kit. The great thing about Pocher's is that you can use them as a foundation for a project that comes about as close as one can get to the real thing.
Thanks CrateCruncher, my "process" is not top secret...lol, I use an Amercian Beauty resistance soldering rig, which if you don't know much about it, uses the resistance across the joint being soldered to create heat at the point of contact. It heats up very quickly and the heat is very localized to only the joint area, which means you can solder a piece right next to a previously soldered piece and not run the risk of de-soldering the first joint. It works kind of like arc welding, only with solder. That's how I can maintain alignment without affecting adjacent areas.

Your comments on the Pochers are right on, as well. I have a K74 Mercedes, that is about 1/2 complete and it's on a completely different level than the F40. Excluding the inherent kit problems, of course. Thanks for watching this thread, it should get more fun to watch, once the frame is painted and the real building/detailing starts...

BM1
Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #112
Twowheelsrule
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmech1 View Post
Mark,
Yes and no... the older Pocher kits had parts counts in the 1500-2500 range, so they were million pats kits. They are called the classic series, but the newer, exotics series, the Testarossa, F40 and Carrera 993, are all in the 400-600 parts count range. Huge difference in the two, both in numbers and effective detail level. More stuff about Pocher you never wanted to know, right?

BM1
Good information! I may want to build one some day if I found the right subject to get me going.
Mark
Twowheelsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #113
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Good information! I may want to build one some day if I found the right subject to get me going.
Mark
Have you seen the prices of the old kits recently. Too many saddo's are snapping them up, never to build them!

Really nice work BM, shame you've got to paint it!

Out of interest, does anyone know why the old 1/8th kits have never been re-released? I know the company and all their tooling was bought up years ago.
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #114
gp-models
AF Regular

A real amazing work !!!

I enjoy your brass work everytime i`ve been watching it and i agree with all other comments: A SUPERB JOB !!!

I have the Autograph Kit and the Motorkit too and maybe one day i will start it, everytime i`m watching your updates i`m thinking of starting mine as well, but at moment there is no time left to do so.

Looking forward to see how you will go on with the body works !

Till now i leave 12 from 10 possible for an impressing job !
gp-models is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #115
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp-models View Post
A real amazing work !!!

I enjoy your brass work everytime i`ve been watching it and i agree with all other comments: A SUPERB JOB !!!

I have the Autograph Kit and the Motorkit too and maybe one day i will start it, everytime i`m watching your updates i`m thinking of starting mine as well, but at moment there is no time left to do so.

Looking forward to see how you will go on with the body works !

Till now i leave 12 from 10 possible for an impressing job !
Thank you much for the "12 from 10 possible" compliment! Right now I am diligently working, trying to finish up all the small bits on the frame so I might be able to get it in primer tonight! I will update at some point tomorrow! Thanks to all for watching!!!

BM1
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #116
bmwmech1
AF Regular

At last, an update! Unless I have missed something, I believe the frame is finished!!! I still have many hours of prep before the main frame goes to primer, but some of the sub-assemblies are ready and I even got some pieces prepped and primed tonight! I also received my Brummel decal set from Manfred at m-tec, today, so I snapped a picture of them also. Enjoy!!!

As always, thanks for following!!!

BM1
Old 02-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #117
tuned.by.twenty
AF Vendor-TBT's Owner

That frame is art! I can't wait to see it primered.
tuned.by.twenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #118
AustinMartin
AF Regular

Awesome!
Ferrari F2007
Ferrari 250 Testarossa

"Speed never killed anyone, it the stopping suddenly that kills you"
"With every post they take off me........they take a piece of my heart" PAP 348
AustinMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #119
bmwmech1
AF Regular

I'm traveling this weekend, but I couldn't leave everyone without the latest photos to look at. Got the frame prepped and shot with 1 coat of primer last night. Still some thin spots and there will be some filling/sanding to do before color, but hey, at least it's grey now! There was alot of real estate to cover with primer... I realized that this frame is big, once I started to paint it! Enjoy!!!

Thanks for looking and have a great weekend!!!

BM1
Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #120
Robi J
AF Enthusiast

This is absolutely fantastic...

R
Robi J is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports