Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe Includes the VQ35DE, VQ37VHR - Z33 and Z34.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
RiXZ
AF Newbie

Angry 17 Quarts Oil 17,000 Miles NISSAN 350Z

Hello Everyone!

I really need some help from the Automotive Community.

I am the original owner of a new 2004 Touring 350Z, 6 SPD -MT that I purchased off of the new car lot. Right from the get-go I noticed an oil consumption problem so I took it to the Nissan dealer where I purchased it and we began the oil consumption test. After 3 tests they finally admitted that there may be a problem (they denied that they have ever heard of a Nissan engine with oil consumption problems) so they said that they contacted Nissan North America and rather then doing a leak down test they were told to replace the valve covers, gasket and PCV valve. Well that didn't work so they did the only other thing that they could do.

THEY BLAMED THE ENGINE OIL CONSUMPTION PROBLEM ON ME!!

Well, here is Nissan North America's, Inc. Official Answer. DOWN-SHIFTING! NISSAN'S TECH LINE Stated "Oil loss due to customer downshifting to slow vehicle down- compression built up during this is pushing oil past rings which is then being burnt off".

Please let me know what you think. Has anyone heard of any class action law suits addressing this issue?

TIA - Rick

2004 Touring - Silverstone - 6-MT - 17,000 Miles - 17 Quarts of Oil
RiXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Stealth91
AF Newbie

Re: 17 Quarts Oil 17,000 Miles NISSAN 350Z

They have no right to blame you. I know my auto's teacher said engine braking (down shifting, whatever) is not bad for your car. Besides, i knew from the first like three sentences in your post it was bad cylinder rings, my friend has the same problem with his 95' volvo 740, except not as bad. I am surprised you got that problem that quickly though. I think when the engine was being put together, the guy with the micrometer and telescoping gauges fell asleep, because that engine doesn't seem up to spec burning that much oil with only 17k miles.
Stealth91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
RiXZ
AF Newbie

This problem didn't start at 17,000 miles, it started at 52 Miles. The dealership just never wanted to resolve the issue with me. I've babied it and kept it in excellent condition so I have that going for me. TIA for your feeback.

2004 Touring - Silverstone - 6-MT - 17,000 Miles - 17 Quarts of Oil
RiXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
new2mitsu
AF Regular

yeah dude thats BS... have you talked to Nissan personally? what kinda warranty you got?
Datalogger
Intake
T-Pros Downpipe
Gutted Pre Cats
Mods to come: Upgraded Fuel System and 75 shot of Nitrous, Full Exhaust and hopefully 15Gs

Audio
Sony Deck
Eclipse 6x8 2 ways in the back
Clarion Kevlar cone Component System in the front
2 Alpine Type S 10 inch DVc Subs
1 Audiobahn 10 inch DVC D Jones Series
One 800 Watt Jensen amp
and a soundstream 300 watt 4 ch to the speakers
And still under 4000 lbs w/ me in the car
new2mitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
FixUrNissan
AF Regular

contact Nissan about the dealer handling your case. I understand you brought the car used. How many miles on the car when you brought it? Did you buy it at the Nissan dealer you have been dealing with? 17k miles, the engine should be way covered under warranty. I have seen cars with 30k miles and 1 oil change get motors. The only way I could see a Z motor burning oil is if the Catts go bad and debris is sucked into the engine. I have seen where changing the valve covers help burning oil problem. I would contact Nissan at 1-800-Nissan-1 and have all your information ready. If you brought the car with lets say 5k miles have you done 2 to 3 oil changes? and so on. Feel free to ask me any more questions if you have any, and i'm sure you do.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:31 AM   #6
gthompson97
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97

Lots of Z's have had problems with oil consumption, especially the 06 revups. Search "Oil Consumption" on my350z.com and you'll get pages upon pages of information.

97 Eclipse GST

gthompson97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
infinitlyfast
AF Newbie

I do not know the 3.5 motor yet because I just bought an 04 G35 and have yet to get it on the road, but all the other cars I have had high oil use with I found to have drain back issues and or bad valve stem seals, also what grade of oil are you using, also Castrol is great but runs a little thin, I have used Lucas oil stabilizer in all my cars and have no oil use between changes, and I drive a bit fast, I am not putting anything in the G 35 as of yet till I get more info on what you can use and can't, my past ideas all worked well. Good luck, and do not except any more stalling or BS from Nissan, stand up for your rights!
infinitlyfast is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe