Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #196
jrecken
AF Regular

Re: How Many Miles on Your Lumina

I have to add my girlfriends car to this list. 2000 Lumina, last oil change it had 211,000. The only things replaced, one battery, water pump and struts. Still has original plugs and still runs like a clock with gas mileage 28-32 mpg.
jrecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #197
ausmac
AF Newbie

1996 3.1L with 220,000 miles. I purchased it when it had 50,000 miles
ausmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #198
gene5118
AF Newbie

I have a 95 3.1 with 204000 miles on it. Just had to fix blown head gasket at 193000. Surfaced heads and all new gaskets. Don't like the aluminum heads, there was erosion on the mating surfaces that I put RTV on. Don't think it will hold that long. Cross my fingers.
gene5118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #199
john3mo
AF Newbie

I have a 1997 3.1L with 156,235 miles on it. Original engine and transmission. It still has enough power and runs great and has no oil leaks or radiator fluid leaks. But I have done alot of routine maintenance and repairs my self since I got the car back in 2003 with 70,000 miles. I have replaced brake pads, shoes, and rotors, thermostat, 2 fuel injectors, lower and upper intake manifold gasket, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, a/c compressor and dryer, front strut cartridges and rear strut assemblys and changed transmission fluid every 60,000 and oil every 3,000 miles. Still looks new from the outside, no rust or paint peeling. Hope it will last another 100,000.
john3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #200
Razsmatazz01
AF Newbie

Talking Re: How Many Miles on Your Lumina

I have a 1995 Lumina with over 207,000 miles and still running pretty good, haven't had much work done but the usual tuneups & repairs. Now just having problems with my CV Joints, so not a bad deal for a car I paid $2000.00 for.
Razsmatazz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #201
Richard49
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Richard49

I've had a 97, 3.1 for about 3 months. paid 1k for it. it had 76k miles when i bought it. now it has 78k. i replaced warped rotors, surpentine belt, air filter and wiper blades. check engine light was on so i took it to autozone. autozone put scan tool on it. EGR Valve was stuck. i took EGR Valve off and cleaned it with some spray and a small knife. check engine light went off and thus far has not come back on. all 4 tires have great tread depth but i had to raise air pressure 2 factory specifications which is 30 psi, rotate tires and get them spin balanced. cv boots look great. i will keep an eye on them. interior is great with brand new sound system. all electric windows work, as well as electric locks. a/c works great. car has nice ride and power. it needs a little body work. i took it on a 800 mile trip. it ran great.

3rd light works but tail lights don't, why would GM wire tale lights in to turn signal switch circuitry? i smell engine coolant but intake manifold is not eating much coolant yet. im keeping an eye on coolant level. i hear that this car has an upper & lower intake manifold gasket. dealer wants $900 or more to fix manifold gasket factory defect. my budget is certainly not prepared to shell out that type of money. overall i really like this vehicle
Richard49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #202
NickRock
AF Newbie

Re: How Many Miles on Your Lumina 203,000

Last Fall (2009) I bought my son his first car. A 2-door, 1993, Gold Lumina Euro. I got it for $700. It had 197,742 miles on it. I am the 3rd owner of the car. The seller bought it in 1995 and seems to have taken good care of the car.

It now has 203,000 miles. It idles silky smooth, always starts, and has a lot of pep.

We just had it PA Inspected. The mechanic said wow - it has a new gas tank, exhaust system, and tires. He also said the half shaft, ball joint, and tie rod end on the passenger side are new. One problem he said I am going to have is that the rubber boots on the driver's side half shaft, tie rod end, and ball joint are deterriorated and won't hold any grease.

All the little stuff in the car still works fine - power windows, rear window defroster, interior lights, electronic locks, cruise control, etc.

The one problem is the sound system. Only the back speakers are working. I don't know if it is the radio or speakers that are shot. The dashboard speakers look like they would be a pain to replace. I will dig into this problem when the weather breaks.

The steering column switch for the turn signals is a little shaky. They quit working. I took it to the mechanic. He said you can spend $300 for the switch, or "fix" it by engaging the flashers and then engaging the turn signals. That did the trick and they have worked correctly ever since. It also seems to have "tightened" up the turn signal lever.

The car uses absolutely no oil and the transmission shifts flawlessly.

The car runs so flawlessly, that I am considering getting the little bit of surface rust taken care of and having it repainted.

Hopefully, posting on this site doesn't doom the car!
NickRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #203
daffysmiles
AF Newbie

Talking Re: How Many Miles on Your Lumina

1993 lumina euro 311,899 didnt have to do nothing for her other than oil changes every 5 wks. drove 3000 miles in 5 wk period. she didnt get her first break down untill well over 300,000 and that was heater core then slowly other things but still running strong with minor things.

Last edited by daffysmiles; 04-26-2010 at 08:56 PM.
daffysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #204
steve57
AF Newbie

mine has 54,000 on it .its a 96
steve57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #205
justmegal
AF Newbie

I jist paid a mechanic to replace my intake manifold gasket (and thermostat). Now, it's not running right and there is NO antifreeze in the overflow AT ALL! It ran perfectly until now..other than the oil in the overflow tank. Hence the intake gasket replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard49 View Post
I've had a 97, 3.1 for about 3 months. paid 1k for it. it had 76k miles when i bought it. now it has 78k. i replaced warped rotors, surpentine belt, air filter and wiper blades. check engine light was on so i took it to autozone. autozone put scan tool on it. EGR Valve was stuck. i took EGR Valve off and cleaned it with some spray and a small knife. check engine light went off and thus far has not come back on. all 4 tires have great tread depth but i had to raise air pressure 2 factory specifications which is 30 psi, rotate tires and get them spin balanced. cv boots look great. i will keep an eye on them. interior is great with brand new sound system. all electric windows work, as well as electric locks. a/c works great. car has nice ride and power. it needs a little body work. i took it on a 800 mile trip. it ran great.

3rd light works but tail lights don't, why would GM wire tale lights in to turn signal switch circuitry? i smell engine coolant but intake manifold is not eating much coolant yet. im keeping an eye on coolant level. i hear that this car has an upper & lower intake manifold gasket. dealer wants $900 or more to fix manifold gasket factory defect. my budget is certainly not prepared to shell out that type of money. overall i really like this vehicle
justmegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #206
Street18
AF Newbie

Mine '97 has 338,xxx miles on it now and is showing transmission problems. I'm going to be driving it til it can't be driven now more.
Street18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:40 AM   #207
ladagosta
AF Regular

96 lumina 3100 ..
speedo stoped at 188,000 but I am sure it is over 200,000.00 just no way to verify it .. and still running but needs the overheating issue and the short in the dash resolved before we bury it ..
ladagosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:38 AM   #208
mainemetis
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: How Many Miles on Your Lumina

I have a "look at me red" original as possible 1992 chevy lumina euro with 186,000 miles..bought it in '99 with 125,000 miles. I went looking for a newer car a few months ago for about $2000-$3000, ultimately was interested in the 1998 Lumina GTZ as I was quite satisfied with the performance and handling of my 1992 lumina version. Worst issueof my '92: no cup holders! Anyway, the 1998 had just as much rust as my '92, and was a bland champagne color, without the huge '92 spoiler. I've replaced the radiator-new, gas tank-new, front and rear suspension (used) and have just done the regular maintenance such as tune-ups, oil changes every 3000 miles, also just purchased an air compressor online for $200 even..new..I've been boosting my car with the cans of R134a, but by chance saw the air compressor, and before buying my mechanic said my old one was leaking so I probably saved about $200 for the compressor alone..He's a body man also, and painted only the parts (metal) on the car that were rusted or faded, the tops of the bumpers, and the spoiler were faded, and the inside of the rear door rocker panels, and some of the wheel wells and one spot on the roof had a leak(rust) at the top of the glass where it meets the metal, glass was removed without cracking. I had all this done for $2300..I was looking for a new model, but I know what I've put into this car, and didn't want to buy someone else's headache..the motor runs fine, except the air leakages, no skips, firing fine. I will be paying $100 for refurbishing the interior and exterior where the parts weren't painted..the doors, dings, and a few scratches, and getting rid of a few water stains on my seats, which should all come out of the gray material, and I purchased seat covers delivered for total $21.99 for low-back bucket seats@ jcwhitney.com..I also bought a "molded" carpet pad for the dash, and it looks great! I'm trying not to stick anything to the real dash underneath as with the heat I think it will stain the plastic, which has turned red in places, and my front air defrost is just starting to bend, not cracked yet. The refurbisher will install my seat covers, clean the seats first, carpet, mats, he's even going to pick up the car and drive it back...! I've had really good luck with this car, it still gets looks and looks almost new now..I do have ONE TIP! I just purchased 1/2" red vinyl tape from a local sign co. and the red couldn't be a better match! I am going to layer this over the red insert of the black molding all around the car, and then store the rest in the house so it won't get too heated in a shed. The price to do my car like 4 times..cost me $25...I looked at the piece in the back, which is the only part which is flaking...I think it's due to the body work guy polishing the top of the bumper..but oh well, lol..I can DO IT! I had a 1993 silver euro without the rear spoiler, black wheel opening trim, and electric driver's seat. I saw this car every day when I went to work, got talking to the girl who I found out owned it, and the dealership was taking her "for a ride", pardon the pun! Anyway, I gave her the top price they would give her, and the next winter, I got in a 9 car pile-up in a winter storm..That's why I'm disabled..This is a reliable car, had a few problems, most weren't difficult to fix. It was really difficult to find a newer used car with less problems so I think the money and time it took to get it finished was well worth it..The steering is solid, the ride is comfortable. If you've got one, think about it before selling it! I have the automatic 3 speed 3.1 Liter v-6, haven't had any problems with it except with the thermostat..BY THE WAY!, I'm looking for the gray lug nut caps 1 5/8" long, 3/4" hex point to hex point on the top, and 1" round at the bottom, that came with the aluminum wheels, and also I need the front emblem 4"? for the grille to the car..I hope you enjoyed my short story and if you know where to find these last 2 items please answer me ok? Take care, Good luck! Diane...I also own a 1979 Trans Am silver 10th anniversary rare w/ 400 4-speed, my fifth one, now you're talking fast! lol..But I love my Lumina!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lumina 3.JPG (64.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg July 2010 Lumina home 1.JPG (70.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg oct17$06.jpg (81.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Diane cam 4-20-10 004.jpg (15.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by mainemetis; 08-20-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: grammar
mainemetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #209
M0N5T3R
AF Newbie

92 Z34 it has 110,000 miles on it cause it sits broken down more than it could be driven
M0N5T3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #210
ktetch
AF Newbie

Got a 91 Lumina 3.1, currently has 161,000 miles
got it May 08, with 72,000 miles

no major work been done to it, just the routine stuff, oh except the bolts on the tranny pan were all loose and it was dripping ATF a lot, it was tightened, and now right as rain.
ktetch is offline   Reply With Quote