Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #16
eric1h
AF Enthusiast

Re: Cast iron vs alum block?

you guys have a plastic and metal radiator? My car came with a pretty nice all alum Griffin radiator in it. It keeps my car very cool, other than when i lost my water pump pulley the car was rarely over 190degrees F.

GT-WC #22 (now #62 and Blue)

eric1h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
panozracing
AF Enthusiast

The GTS comes with a stock '94 (I think) ford mustang Cobra R radiator which has synthetic sides on the aluminum core. Alot of the school cars got modified with Griffin radiators once they got crashed. The Ford radiator always worked for me and I was also 190 most of the time. I think it might have gotten old and lost some performance or something. Not sure but its going to the scrap heap soon enough.
2000 Panoz GTS #420
NASA ST1
427ci Stroker
panozracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
eric1h
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by panozracing View Post
The GTS comes with a stock '94 (I think) ford mustang Cobra R radiator which has synthetic sides on the aluminum core. Alot of the school cars got modified with Griffin radiators once they got crashed. The Ford radiator always worked for me and I was also 190 most of the time. I think it might have gotten old and lost some performance or something. Not sure but its going to the scrap heap soon enough.
well sweet, I got lucky then! :-D

Old 02-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
NZGTRA17
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by panozracing View Post
@ Kel - pictures pictures pictures of that sexy flat bottom and diffuser......how much weight did you add? I cooked my motor at Winterfest in the 90 min. enduro...heat soaked on my pit stop with the car off and the fan on....she didnt recover.....My plywood splitter did awesome and the car turned some amazing times on old tires right till the bitter end.

My engine builder wants to replace the heads. After 5 years and lots of heat the rockwell hardness of the mating surface is compromised and new heads are the way to go. He also told me the skirts on the pistons are showing wear so its a complete replacement/rebuild ... UGH....

While I am at it I have Griffin making me a double row top of the line radiator and spal fan with shroud....thats almost $1k. That thing better keep my baby cool this time.

Just keep throwing money at it till it goes fast and doesnt break....well at least I am laughing about.

Rough January....my toter home and the 42' stacking trailer needed a new roof....OUCH....The hauler is costing more than the race car and its all coming at once....

Someone tell me this is fun....pinch me please!
Brian, I am looking at upgrading my splitter to complement the flat bottom and diffuser. What did you do to your splitter (pics) and could you attribute the lap time improvements specifically to that change?

Ta, Kel.
Panoz GTRA #17
New Zealand
NZGTRA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #20
eric1h
AF Enthusiast

Looks like I will be building a 408 stroker motor! ordered parts, going to use my existing 243 heads for now Brian!