Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
STEVEO911
AF Newbie

Painting small lettering

Hi

I am working on a 1/20th scale Mclaren Mp4/5b f1 car and am having problems trying to paint the lettering on the valve covers.
So far I tried using a fine brush but have found the paint would just end up running also tried a Gundam marker #200 smallest I could find in white but also have the same problems.
What is the best method of painting such small details besides a steady hand?
I am just getting back into model building after a very long break from the hobby and have been watching treads on this site and am amazed at the level of detail.

Thanks for the help
Steve
STEVEO911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
nakadds
AF Newbie

Re: Painting small lettering

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEO911 View Post
Hi

I am working on a 1/20th scale Mclaren Mp4/5b f1 car and am having problems trying to paint the lettering on the valve covers.
So far I tried using a fine brush but have found the paint would just end up running also tried a Gundam marker #200 smallest I could find in white but also have the same problems.
What is the best method of painting such small details besides a steady hand?
I am just getting back into model building after a very long break from the hobby and have been watching treads on this site and am amazed at the level of detail.

Thanks for the help
Steve
One easy way is to place bare metal foil over the letters before painting the valve cover black. Then with a q-tip lightly moistened with paint thinner gently wipe the letters exposing the foil underneath . Or you can sand the letters off and use photoetch letters.

Thanks for bringing Scuderia's mp4/5b thread back to life. I'm currently working on the same car and been try to replicate the finish on the monocoque without having to use carbon fibre decals. I think Scuderia did a great job painting the monocoque.

Last edited by nakadds; 07-27-2010 at 02:34 AM.
nakadds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
935k3
AF Enthusiast

Try painting the whole cover with a white lacquer like TS-26. Then airbrush Tamiya's X-18 Acrylic over the whole thing. Then use a Q-Tip dampened with Ammonia and carefully wipe across the top of the letters only. The ammonia will remove the X-18 only.
935k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
CrewDawg15
FuJimmy!!!!

I use the BMF method, but I use acrylic paints. When the paint has dried to a rubbery state, I take a toothpick moistened with either water or alcohol to scrub the paint away from the raised areas. The toothpick is rigid, so I get a bit more control over what I'm scraping away.

Jimmy

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling