Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #61
silicon212
Confoundingly Lucid

Send a message via ICQ to silicon212
Re: new suspension making noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dooreighty5 View Post
all new ball joints and all new everything including all the upper and lower controll arm bushings...everything was double checked at the shop and then proper alighnment was done on it....i didnt torque the shocks i just tightened them till they were tight...i will check into that...

im considering ordering both new idle arms since he did say one of them or both needed to be replaced at some point...

all the ball joints came greased but then i put the grease gun on them and filled them...
i didnt lubricate the controll arm bushings??? didnt think u had too
No, don't attempt to lube the control arm bushings (unless you want them to fail in a manner of months).

There's only one idler arm and it's on the passenger side. The driver side has the Pittman arm, which attaches to the steering gearbox. You don't need to worry about torquing the bolts on the shocks, sufficiently tight should be okay, but do pay close attention to the nut on the upper shaft, and that the bushing on top is sufficiently deformed to show the nut is tight enough.

You don't want it spitting rubber out, this will destroy the bushing, but you do want it slightly swollen in appearance.

Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have.
silicon212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #62
2dooreighty5
AF Regular

ok well im glad i didnt order 2 idle arms lol....

thing is the sound is coming from the drivers side so i dont think its the idler arm...

like i said ill double check shock nuts on top but those should be good and i dont think would make a sound that would resinate from the wheel well...

Im still thinking its brakes but ill try and rule out suspension first
2dooreighty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:59 AM   #63
silicon212
Confoundingly Lucid

Send a message via ICQ to silicon212

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dooreighty5 View Post
ok well im glad i didnt order 2 idle arms lol....

thing is the sound is coming from the drivers side so i dont think its the idler arm...

like i said ill double check shock nuts on top but those should be good and i dont think would make a sound that would resinate from the wheel well...

Im still thinking its brakes but ill try and rule out suspension first
Jack up the car, put jackstands under the lower control arms (the shocks would be a good placement point), and lower the car. Attempt to move each of the front tires around, feeling for play. Move them top to bottom, and then left to right, observing any noise made.

If you hear noise, look for moving parts.

Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have.
silicon212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #64
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast

Could the noise possibly be coming from the spoked wheel itself?
Were these wheels on the car before the front end rebuild?
If not, try some other wheels to see.
I remember the cheesey spoked hub caps on these and other GM cars of that era making creeking noises. I know yours are true spoke wheels but the noise sounds similar IMO.
1996 Suzuki RMX250

I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #65
2dooreighty5
AF Regular

ya thats worth a try...im pretty sure i had the spokes off last winter and it was making the noise then with the standard caprice stock fake spokes...not to be confused with the creaking that the stocks are known for....

ill maybe try that this weekend...i still am curious as to why my brake pads have wiggle room when they sit into the shoe...about 1/8 of an inch up and down...seems like this could easily cause the noise...and like i said sound only occurs on brakeing...never on a turn or even going over a big bump...the suspension feels tight....

But im going to try some more of the suggestions you guys have giving me and ill get back to you
Old 10-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #66
2dooreighty5
AF Regular

Ok still havent had time to try putting stock wheels on but today I noticed that sometimes at a complete stop after the noise happens i can press hard on the brakes and it will make the noise again,

so this is with no movement forward or any momentum...

Like i said previously you guys helped me redo all the components on the brake pads with those rubber grommets and lube and the proper nuts and bolts...

any ideas guys..everything helps

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice