Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:14 AM   #1
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Rims with Chrome Rims

I'm working on a Tamiya Lotus 25. As shown in this pic of somebody else's model, the wheels have chrome, well, rims. The problem is that I can't figure out how to neatly "plate" the chrome areas of the rims.

I tried painting the entire rim Tamiya spray-can yellow and then masking the centers, then spraying black enamel and Alclad II on the unmasked areas - where there is supposed to be chrome. When I (carefully!) removed the tape, it lifted some of the Alclad II along the edge, exposing the black undercoat. Ugh. As I write this, the wheels are spending the night in the purple pool.

I suppose I can try again, this time using Alclad without the black undercoat, but I'm not sure that I can get a clean edge as I pull off the tape. Because it's a confined space, it will be hard to pull the tape straight back, and Alclad doesn't stick like regular paint. What do you think about the no-black-undercoat idea?

I'm also thinking about BMF, but I don't think I can trim it neatly. Unfortunately, the boundary between the chrome and the yellow is an outside "corner." It would be mighty hard to make a straight, clean knife cut along that curved 90 degree edge without slipping one way or the other. It would be like me walking a tightrope with no safety net - I'm sure to slip, and when I do, I'll definitely ruin the beautiful yellow paint finish.

Another possibility is to brush on MM Chrome Silver. I'm not bad with slow, precise painting, especially if I wear my Optivisor. Right now, this seems like the best shot, even though Chrome Silver (aka Silver Chrome) doesn't have quite as good a look as either BMF or Alclad. Plus there's a pretty high risk of brush marks.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Ddms
Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Re: Rims with Chrome Rims

I suppose the best would be to make the rims out of two different parts one painted yellow and one chromed. But that means a lot of work.
jano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:12 AM   #3
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

I painted the wheels yellow, masked off the centre with a disc of Tamiya masking tape and then applied Alclad (which covered perfectly the yellow)

The wheel nuts were then detail painted and the valves inserted.

HTH

Edit: to remove the masking disc, I made a hole in the MIDDLE of the wheel and worked my outwards

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz_100 View Post
I painted the wheels yellow, masked off the centre with a disc of Tamiya masking tape and then applied Alclad (which covered perfectly the yellow)
Very neat, Klutz. Looks like you brought the chrome one step further in toward the center. Masking would be easier; the paint wouldn't puddle on the second step, and the tape could be removed from a better angle. Why didn't I think of that?

I'd really like to add those valve stems! Where did you get them?

I'm gonna try it your way: no undercoat, and an additional Alclad'd step. Many thanks for the good advice.

Ddms
Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didymus View Post
Very neat, Klutz. Looks like you brought the chrome one step further in toward the center. Masking would be easier; the paint wouldn't puddle on the second step, and the tape could be removed from a better angle. Why didn't I think of that?

I'd really like to add those valve stems! Where did you get them?

I'm gonna try it your way: no undercoat, and an additional Alclad'd step. Many thanks for the good advice.

Ddms
Yes you are quite right, the chrome effect is one step forward to what is prototypically correct but TBH it made the job as easy as pie and I am not that much of purist to let it worry me

Correct, I did not put a black undercoat for the Alclad. It went just fine over the TS yellow.

The valve stems are from the (relatively) new line of Aber 1/24 automotive details. The currently simple line represents a good deal in quality/value IMHO and I wish them well in entering this new area for them!

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz_100 View Post
The valve stems are from the (relatively) new line of Aber 1/24 automotive details.
They'll go on my list.

But for this model, I found the right size brass tubing and wire in my stash, so I'll fab my own two-part stems.

Ddms
Old 07-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #7
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by prageeth View Post
Very interesting. Can you give us a bit more info on the R or ZR ect. What all the differant terms are and what they mean. Thanx
Seems like you posted this to the wrong thread. Sounds like you're asking about Nissans or 'Vettes, but we were talking about painting Lotus 25 wheels.

ALL the different terms? Tall order.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
potatochief
AF Newbie

try using blu tack instead, its easier to remove and forms well in shapes like that
potatochief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatochief View Post
try using blu tack instead, its easier to remove and forms well in shapes like that
Thanks, Potato Chief. I finished the Lotus about a year ago. I ended up painting the wheels the same way Klutz did - I didn't try to mask the "vertical" surface, and just Alclad'd it instead. But still, Blu-Tak would have been a good solution. "Outside corner" masking problems do come up from time to time, and Blu-Tak is a logical solution when there's a confined space and it's not possible to cut a good edge on tape or BMF.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling