Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
AutostradaVR4
AF Enthusiast

Question Gutting rear pre-cat

Ive got a megan racing downpipe on the way (thanks Jason!)...which gets rid of the front precat. While im in there i want to gut the rear precat. Is the as straitforward as it sounds? do i just break/smash/bend out whatevers inside it?
Also, will i need to remove things under the hood, or is it accessed from underneith?

--VR-4-- --09 Lancer RALLIART-- --Me--
AutostradaVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Gutting rear pre-cat

It can be accessed from underneath. Make sure to have at least a dust mask if not a respirator handy for all the garbage that comes out of there.

I used an awl that had the handle broken off and put it in a drill to do most of the breaking up of the stuff. Then I used a large screw driver and hammer to break up the large chunks that didnt want to come out.

There are also two screens and "gaskets" that will need to come out too.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
VR43000GT
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to VR43000GT

On top of wearing breathing protection, wrap your hair and most of your head up if you can. Those little platinum shreds will get in your hair and hurt like a SOB next time you brush your hair...even with a shower. I went through two large drill bits, though I forget the exact size. At the end you'll start to get large chunks of platinum which I would either hold with a pair of needle nose pliars and then try and drill at it with my other hand, or I would force the chunk to the top of the cat with anything that can serve as a pick and then beat the hell out of it with a hammer once it. Either way, good luck and it is not a fun process at all. By the time you start drilling your head should be dressed like that of a terrorist for best protection.

VR43000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
AutostradaVR4
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL3000gt View Post
On top of wearing breathing protection, wrap your hair and most of your head up if you can. Those little platinum shreds will get in your hair and hurt like a SOB next time you brush your hair...even with a shower. I went through two large drill bits, though I forget the exact size. At the end you'll start to get large chunks of platinum which I would either hold with a pair of needle nose pliars and then try and drill at it with my other hand, or I would force the chunk to the top of the cat with anything that can serve as a pick and then beat the hell out of it with a hammer once it. Either way, good luck and it is not a fun process at all. By the time you start drilling your head should be dressed like that of a terrorist for best protection.
There's platinum in the pre-cats as well? damn, i thought that was just the main cat. did you try and sell that shit?

--VR-4-- --09 Lancer RALLIART-- --Me--
AutostradaVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:41 AM   #5
VR43000GT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutostradaVR4 View Post
There's platinum in the pre-cats as well? damn, i thought that was just the main cat. did you try and sell that shit?
I didn't try to sell anything. You may be able to get a small something for it but I didn't even bother. Most of it was in very fine particles that I just didn't care to mess with. BTW, this will test your breaking point. You'll be surprised how fast you'll dull a drill.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
Firebird1
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Firebird1

Why bother with that when you can buy the pre-cat eliminator's from DN performance or Ebay (at a good price) and installed them from underneath, and while under there install the 3" down pipe and racing free flow cat replacing the restrictive cat that is on the car. That is what I did. It change the sound of the car. Now does anyone know who make the rear half of the exhaust system? I like to continue the 3" exhaust pipe to the tips keeping the same look but totally different. Have a good day.
Firebird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #7
VR43000GT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird1 View Post
Why bother with that when you can buy the pre-cat eliminator's from DN performance or Ebay (at a good price) and installed them from underneath, and while under there install the 3" down pipe and racing free flow cat replacing the restrictive cat that is on the car. That is what I did. It change the sound of the car. Now does anyone know who make the rear half of the exhaust system? I like to continue the 3" exhaust pipe to the tips keeping the same look but totally different. Have a good day.
A lot of that ebay elims don't fit well. On top of that it is WAY cheaper to just gut them and less work IMO. Just get a full downpipe (no need for a test pipe) and gut the rear precat and call it a day.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird1 View Post
Because gutting takes literally 10 minutes once the dp is off. Gutting is 1000000 times easier than putting a elim on and gutting is FREE.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth