Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 02:13 AM   #1
glaSSpax
AF Newbie

Arrow 1970 Mav Brake-Over...

Hey All, Thanks for checkin' out this post.
I.m about to purchase a 1970 Maverick from a buddy of mine. It still runs but will need much work. The engine is original straight 6 and the tranny is oem too.
My question is: what all do i need in order to change the brake system over to disc ? And is it very complicated?
When making the chang-over, will I need to do anything to the rear brakes?
Thanks
Old 02-27-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
kaskillah
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1970 Mav Brake-Over...

You could get the front disc brakes from a later year Maverick or maybe even a Fairmont. You would need to change the knuckle/spindle assemblies. For the rear, you will probably have to swap a rear end from another Ford product. I have heard you can use the rear end from a Lincoln Versailles because they had disc brakes though I never heard one used on a Maverick.
I had an early model 1970 Maverick in the 80's. It was a bullet-proof car. I couldn't kill it. The drum brakes on the rear end are more than adequate. The front brakes sucked because anytime you would run through a deep puddle you can lose them unless you applied the brakes when going through it.
Honestly, I don't think it's worth the trouble to make the change unless you were also thinking about dropping a V8 in it.
1999 Chevy Tahoe LS 4X4
1977 GMC Sierra Grande 4X4 (90K)

"When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt!"
kaskillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
e_powers
AF Regular

Re: 1970 Mav Brake-Over...

I agree. i had a 1972 maverick and i redid all the brakes on it and as i recall the rears were the easiest drums i ever done. except when i needed the drums replaced. it was hard finding a machinist to press in the new lugs in the drums as the process used is not done any more and i needed to find someone who remembered how
e_powers is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid