Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 07:43 PM   #1
Detroit Dodge Dude
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Detroit Dodge Dude
Viper vs S2000: A Side by Side Comparison (image heavy)

With all this talk going around, I thought I should do a little picture tour of the Dodge Viper and the Honda S2000, since everyone says that each looks like each other. With my limited knowledge, I shall do my best here.

Lesson 1: The Front End

OK, i can sort of see where people are coming from with this one, however, I wouldnt say that it's a direct copy. I'm probably nitpicking here, but I'm going to break it down to what I see.

1. The viper has foglights, the S2000 has blanks for Air intake (I think).
2. The headlights would probably be the most similar thing, but only in relative shape (they are both forms of triangles, give 'em a break)
3. The S200 is much more arrow shaped, while the viper is much more wide-stanced
4. OK, the company logo is in the same place
5. *ahem* hood scoop *ahem*

:finger:

As I believe Viper10 put it, its an evolutionary design, softened a bit, but still recognizably viper, and recognizably dodge, there might be german influence in there more than anything? I can't be sure, but I don't see a lot of S2000 yet. (if any, really)

Lesson 2: Side View

I'm not seeing it. But again, I'll break it down.

1. They have wheels.
2. The Viper has those nice looking vent things on the side of it.
3. The S2000 is much less "bubbly" and more, rectangular than the Viper.
4. *ahem* sidepipes! *ahem*
5. I find the viper to almsot have a Charger-esque shape to it, slightly reminiscent of the coke bottle-wedges of days of old.
6. The shape of the S2000 to me, seems much boxier than the viper.

Lesson 3: The Back

Well, the similarities end here IMO.

1. Tailights are completely different shape.
2. Again, the wider and more aggressive stance.
3. Lets get snooty, the S2000's tail looks like a Mazda
4. They have back windows.

So, mind you, before you flame me that this was just an opinion post. Also remember the viper woudl whoop the S2000's low torque ricer ass anyday of the week.

Triangle headlights, thats about all I see.

That is all,
Chris Naeyaert
Old 07-20-2002, 11:35 AM   #2
merc50
AF Newbie

I think its the stance more than anything that draws comparos...both have a nose down high back look.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:01 AM   #3
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

So then why do most of the current Viper owners disagree with you Detroit? I would estimate that more than 80% of my Viper brethren hate the SRT-10 Convertible for this exact reason. Go check out the VCA BB and do a search on S2000 and you will see the miles and miles of b*tching about the SRT-10's mediocre styling.

Brad
Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 01:25 AM   #4
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Re: Viper vs S2000: A Side by Side Comparison (image heavy)

Quote:
Originally posted by Detroit Dodge Dude
1. The viper has foglights, the S2000 has blanks for Air intake (I think).
Just for clarification, on stock S2000s, those holes don't go anywhere. They're backed with solid, albeit vent-textured plastic parts with one tiny hole. I assume that hole is simply to keep all air from being blocked.
Quote:
Originally posted by Detroit Dodge Dude
Also remember the viper woudl whoop the S2000's low torque ricer ass anyday of the week.
If the driver in either car takes that race seriously, I've got a bridge to sell them.

They're roadsters. So they have inherent similarities. I don't think Honda was preparing any copyright suits or anything...
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 01:41 AM   #5
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by Viper 10
So then why do most of the current Viper owners disagree with you Detroit?

Penis envy?

Anyway take both cars and park them side by side in real life.
If you think they look anything alike other then being roadsters with 4 wheels, then you really should go see an optomerist.
As Jay said they are both Roadsters, saying you dont like the new Viper becasue it looks to much like an S2000 would be like getting up set over a Toyota Corrolla looking to much like a Mazda 323 becasue they both have 4 doors.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:13 AM   #6
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Moppie

Penis envy?

Anyway take both cars and park them side by side in real life.
If you think they look anything alike other then being roadsters with 4 wheels, then you really should go see an optomerist.
As Jay said they are both Roadsters, saying you dont like the new Viper becasue it looks to much like an S2000 would be like getting up set over a Toyota Corrolla looking to much like a Mazda 323 becasue they both have 4 doors.
So you think that the current Viper owners have penis envy over the new SRT-10? WTF are you smoking? The new Viper looks newtered in the styling department (when compared to the current GTS Coupe). One thing that you need to admit that the new SRT-10 has several Japanese styling accents that are common with the S2000, Miata, Supra and RX-7. What would you expect from the guy who designed the Toyota Camry?

I spent a good hour and a hlaf comparing these two cars at the LA Auto Show (they were in the same display hall a couple of hundren feet away from eachother), and I am don't need an optomistrist...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I guess all of us Viper owners are dead wrong. Let me ask you guys, how many of you own Vipers?

Have fun with your new SRT-10 equipped with tampon dispensers as standard equipment (like the Corvette).

Brad
Old 07-22-2002, 02:24 AM   #7
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Ouch! Do I detect a degree of hostility?

The Viper and the S2000 are about as different as two cars can get.
Both physicaly, and performance wise.

If you want to get hung up about your own percieved visual similarties then thats up to you.
But the above post quite clearly shows that from an asthetic and design approach they are false.

For what its worth the Viper seems to be inspired by the old classic Britsh and Italian roadsters from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, and has a very classic set of curves. (the MX5 and RX7 also show similar influence, but then funny that as the MX5 was ment to be a modern version of the MGB)
The S2000 seems to be more 80s inspired, with more straight edges, a subtle and all Japanese efficiant use of the wedge shape.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:27 PM   #8
Detroit Dodge Dude
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Detroit Dodge Dude
"So then why do most of the current Viper owners disagree with you Detroit? I would estimate that more than 80% of my Viper brethren hate the SRT-10 Convertible for this exact reason. Go check out the VCA BB and do a search on S2000 and you will see the miles and miles of b*tching about the SRT-10's mediocre styling.

Brad"

Well, I was only offering this as my own personal opinion. I didn't way anything about it looking better than the original Viper, because I liek them both personally.

Again, this was only my opinion on the whole S2000 thing, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions of what they see and don't. I personally don't see such the resemblance, but others might.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:53 PM   #9
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Moppie
Ouch! Do I detect a degree of hostility?
My hostility is really directed at the idiots at Daimler (sorry to let some steam off here). Daimler has found every way in the world to screw Chrysler up.

Brad
Old 11-24-2002, 04:34 PM   #10
vortech
AF Enthusiast

I'm glad someone

pointed out the uncanny similarities of the Viper to the Honda S2000. Sure does look like Daimler's goons were watching the Honda plant from an observatory. Thats way too much of a coincidence. Instead of trying to reinvent the design (personally I think the new Vipers are just not eye candy), they should return to the awesome Viper styling from 94-96. The design team needs a fresh look on the car-----but they should return to the mid 90s for bright ideas. The 03 Viper is definetely not going to make your mouth water for its 'external beauty'

2001 mustang cobra convertibe
Vortech V-2 SQ blower (10.5psi)
4:10 gears & ford racing throttle body
03 JBA shorty headers + FR500 exhaust
Bassani X-pipe
Kenny Brown IRS level 2 suspension
IRS pinion brace
Kenny Brown K-member & control arms
Carbon Fiber driveshaft
522RWHP / 493RWTQ
vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 12:27 AM   #11
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Hahahaha, I agree with you completely Detroit Dodge Dude. I may not own a Viper, but it is a vast improvement over the RT-10 IMO.

Very good thread.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 04:10 PM   #12
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
I just can't wait until they come out with the coupe form. I hope it looks something like the Competition Coupe. And imagine if it gets somewhere around 525 ponies and 550 lb/ft of torque.
v10_viper is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster