Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #1
jwbrockman
AF Newbie

'03 CRV driveline vibration

My mom has an '03 Honda CRV EX AWD AT with about 80k and it is demonstrating some intermittent driveline shudder, mostly when traveling at a constant speed. It almost feels like a clutch shudder, it's pretty noticeable and felt throughout the car. It's pretty intermittent though, it might go a couple days without doing it. It mostly seems to happen at moderate speeds (30-45). I have already changed out the rear diff fluid with Honda Dual Pump Fluid, and it didn't really help. The next thing i'll try is a trans fluid change, but I don't know if that will do any good. I am fearing that it might be a torque converter or other internal transmission issue, and the insides of an automatic transmission are essentially voodoo to me. So I am really hoping it doesn't come to that. Does anyone know of any particular issues with these trannies, or any good place to ask? From my searches online, it seems like there aren't any really active forums for 2nd-gen CRVs, and they also don't appear to break in any common, predictable ways. Thanks for any help.

Josh
jwbrockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
ericplopez
AF Newbie

Re: '03 CRV driveline vibration

I have a 2003 CRV and have the same problem. I will keep the car a constant speed and the car will begin to vibrate. It is especially bad around lower speed such as 30-40 mph. If I hit the break or gas the vibrating ans shaking will stop. I also seem to notice it more when I am driving on flat rodes with few hills. I'm thinking might have something to do with the torgue. I took the car into the dealer to show them the problem but of course the car wouldn't vibrate when I wanted it to. Any suggestions? Thanks
ericplopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
roman.s
AF Newbie

My 2000 crv was doing exactly the same. It turned out that propeller shaft was seized (shaft between front and rear axle). We had to replace the whole assembly since Honda made it soo complicated that is not reparable. Cost around 700. I complained to them but no luck. The warranty is 5 years on drivetrain so you might be lucky.
roman.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
bergholz46
AF Newbie

My son's 1998 crv has the same problem. It also happens at the 30-40 mph speed. I removed the propeller shaft today to see if the problem was the shafts universal joints. An easy disassembly. We took the car for a ride and found the viberation had stopped. I suspect the joints are bad. They also felt stiff and flex smoothly. This seems to be a common problem on crvs. I am now looking for someone in the Buffalo New York area that can replace the joints for us. If anyone knows such a person please give us the contact info. Thanks
bergholz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
mechhound
AF Regular

I have to ask this: Do all of you with full time four wheel drive(I think Honda calls it real time 4wd) have a full set of four matched tires? My daughter's 2000 CRV was quite noisy when it had matching PAIRS of two different tires. I wouldn't believe the difference in the noise level if I hadn't experienced it myself. I would guess mismatched tires could also cause a vibration.
mechhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
bergholz46
AF Newbie

My sons 98 and my wifes 06 both have full sets of four summer and winter tires. We have found the cause of the vibration that happens at steady speeds between 30 and 40 MPH. Bad universal joints on both ends of the prop shaft. In the process of replacing them now. No need to replace the whole shaft.
bergholz46 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V