Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
PonyTamer
AF Newbie

Need Info On Big Blocks

im putting a 632 (the biggest crate engine available) in my 71 carlo. what else do i need to replace so that they can take the power of the 632? im really lost when it comes to anything outside of the cylinder heads, crank case, and block.
thanks, casey
PonyTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Re: Need Info On Big Blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyTamer View Post
im putting a 632 (the biggest crate engine available) in my 71 carlo. what else do i need to replace so that they can take the power of the 632? im really lost when it comes to anything outside of the cylinder heads, crank case, and block.
thanks, casey
You will have to upgrade the transmission , rear end , and suspension with something strong enough to withstand the power the new engine will be producing . Even more important are the brakes and I can't emphasize this enough - they must be upgraded so your stopping power will match your Go power ! This is a very important for your safety and should not be overlooked ! Your frame should be inspected ( it is 40 yrs. old ) for any damage or cracks . Any found should be repaired. Good luck and keep us updated !
PonyTamer (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
PonyTamer
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblu65 View Post
You will have to upgrade the transmission , rear end , and suspension with something strong enough to withstand the power the new engine will be producing . Even more important are the brakes and I can't emphasize this enough - they must be upgraded so your stopping power will match your Go power ! This is a very important for your safety and should not be overlooked ! Your frame should be inspected ( it is 40 yrs. old ) for any damage or cracks . Any found should be repaired. Good luck and keep us updated !
thanks! i definately overlooked the brakes and frame. i was thinking along the lines of driveline and stuff. that really helps. the only thing discouraging me now is the transmission, which is the most expensive part of a car. so basically it will cost a TON more than the original 14,000 of the race engine. =(

one more question. if its only going to be drag raced and not a daily driver, would i need to do the brakes and suspension? thanks so much
PonyTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
snshddog
AF Regular

If you are going to just drag race then brakes, frame, and suspension are even more important. I have seen people go off the end of a track. Make things scarier we have a track up here that used to have a forest of trees after the track. If you are not sure about what you need I suggest you hire a shop with race experience for the frame and suspension part of it. No doubt you will have to convert to a 4 link set up to keep it straight on the track.
snshddog is offline   Reply With Quote