Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
JenMcDonald41
AF Newbie

Question Poor college student w/ '99 Merc. Mountaineer with BIG PROBLEMS HELP ME PLEASE!

I have a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer and I’m experiencing three serious problems:

First Problem:
  • My brake lights only work when I press the brake pedal extremely hard. The brake fluid is full, my brakes are new, and my brake light has not lit up on my dash? There is a small “box” with wires connected to wire that is on the brake pedal, when it is pressed the brake lights light up. Is this a bad censor/switch or is there some majorly wrong?
Second Problem:
  • My power windows (front and rear) do not roll down
  • My dome/interior lights do not turn on manually or when a door is open.
  • My compass and temperature display does not work
Third Problem:
  • My AC will only work if it is on the highest setting. You can’t adjust the fan speed to control the amount of air that is being blown. If I try to adjust the fan speed the air shuts off, but the displays says it is on.
PLEASE HELP! I don't want to take it to the shop b/c they will charge me and arm and a leg and I can barely afford gas and books. I'M BEGGING PLEASE!
JenMcDonald41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Poor college student w/ '99 Merc. Mountaineer with BIG PROBLEMS HELP ME PLEASE!

First problem look for an adjustment on the brake light switch. Maybe it can be moved so it lights when you want.
Second problem check for a burned fuse you should have a fuse panel in the car and one in the engine compartment. It could also be a window switch but as the door lights also don't work check fuse first. Then check for a burned out light bulb.
Third problem state if you have temperature control as the systems are different. A fan resister is usually the problem on the fan motor. Its close to the heater blower motor normally on the center of the fire wall and has a few wires going to it normally you unplug it and remove two screws with a 1/4 inch socket.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Poor college student w/ '99 Merc. Mountaineer with BIG PROBLEMS HELP ME PLEASE!

If you don't find the fuse to be the problem for the windows, lights, and compass, you may also want to check the wiring connector in the driver's door jamb for broken wires. That could contribute the problem with the power windows, interior lights, etc.

As for the fan speed, I agree the blower motor controller or fans speed resistor is likely the problem. If you have the manual controls, this should be a relatively inexpensive fix. If you have the electronic controls, which it sounds like you do, then the controller is probably a couple hundred dollars.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
JenMcDonald41
AF Newbie

Red face Re: Poor college student w/ '99 Merc. Mountaineer with BIG PROBLEMS HELP ME PLEASE!

Thank you so much for answering my plea!

Problem 1: I'll have my dad check the break switch! Thanks for the advice

Problem 2: It is not a fuse or light bulbs. Those were my original thoughts when this happened, so I replaced all of them and still no power. I'll have my dad check out the driver side door to see if there are broken wires.

Problem 3: Yes I have electronic controls (gotta love technology! ) I'm not too worried about this problem as long as I can get my windows fixed I should be ok.

Thanks again! I REALLY appreciate it! I'll let you know whats up!
JenMcDonald41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

For problem 2, the power windows and Interior Lamps do share a common fuse, Fuse 26 in the Central Junction Box which is a 10-ampere fuse. There are no power lines in common with the overhead console (compass/temp). This fuse is for the Battery Saver Relay. If you again verify the fuse is good and there is power to both sides of the fuse (hot at all times) then you should check the Battery Saver Relay. The relay is located in the relay module which is towards the center of the dash, towards the floor.

With the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) the blower motor is controlled by a PWM blower motor controller. I imagine it's quite expensive. When I bought one for my '93 SHO, it ran me almost $300.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #6
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Junk yard parts are available cheaper. Normally they give you ten days if they work that long they will probably last longer.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
williemendez@@60
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMcDonald41 View Post
I have a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer and I’m experiencing three serious problems:

First Problem:
  • My brake lights only work when I press the brake pedal extremely hard. The brake fluid is full, my brakes are new, and my brake light has not lit up on my dash? There is a small “box” with wires connected to wire that is on the brake pedal, when it is pressed the brake lights light up. Is this a bad censor/switch or is there some majorly wrong?
Second Problem:
  • My power windows (front and rear) do not roll down
  • My dome/interior lights do not turn on manually or when a door is open.
  • My compass and temperature display does not work
Third Problem:
  • My AC will only work if it is on the highest setting. You can’t adjust the fan speed to control the amount of air that is being blown. If I try to adjust the fan speed the air shuts off, but the displays says it is on.
PLEASE HELP! I don't want to take it to the shop b/c they will charge me and arm and a leg and I can barely afford gas and books. I'M BEGGING PLEASE!
My best advise and a concientous one is to: "SELL YOUR VEHICLE NOW"
It is not worth the stress and money investment on a LEMON for it will continously pop new problems on your pocket and mind. That's why they're called LEMONS. (Lemmings commit suicide, Lemons destroy themselves)
Willie Mendez
williemendez@@60 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer