Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 04:31 PM   #1
Ktulu
AF Regular

turbo vs. swap...

There seems to be a lot of pluses for either of these. The ultimate goal for me is to gain good, reliable, efficeint power. With a turbowed d16, it seems that a really good, safe setup can run a max of about 14psi; but this cost a lot of money and there are tons of little things to worry about. The swap however, doesn't make as much power but it is basically a plug and play situation that will cost less in the long run. The swap I am refering to is a jdm 2nd gen b16a into a 5th gen civic ex.
Any suggestions
Note, I am just trying to start a thread in the new forum and feed my quest for knowledge as I still havn't found a good civic.
Later,
Ktulu
Ktulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 08:30 AM   #2
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Racing Rice Send a message via AIM to Racing Rice
It really all depends on what you want from a setup. The nice thing about a swap is you still have a base platform to grow on, especially if you put a turbo on the swap motor later. If you just want a decent amount of power you can put a Turbo on your D16. You can get the greddy kit for about 2200 w/ Intercooler. Where as youll be spending about between 2500-7000+ for a swap depending on if you do the work yourself and what motor you decide to go with.

I say if you want huge amounts of power then Go with the swap and turbocharge it later.

But if you just want some added power to your D16 then go with the turbo. (You could get a Greddy turbo kit in the 13's. With some internals and may have about the same amount of money in it as you would if you went with a swap.)

Basically depends on what your ultimate goal is. Good luck in your decision

Bikes:
'05 Suzuki DL650 Vstrom, '05 Yamaha Raptor 660R
Racing Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 01:18 PM   #3
super 96 accord
AF Enthusiast

I'm in the process of doing BOTH! I'm getting a JDM H22 and throwing a turbo on that!!
super 96 accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 01:55 PM   #4
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by super 96 accord
I'm in the process of doing BOTH! I'm getting a JDM H22 and throwing a turbo on that!!
Thatll be nice... Should definately have plenty of power for you thats for sure... What turbo kit are you going with?

Bikes:
Old 12-03-2001, 02:04 PM   #5
super 96 accord
AF Enthusiast

Well, at first I thought I would be able to smog a turbo. So I was just planning on getting a small one to keep it legal. But upon further talking w/my installer, he said that I wouldn't be able to smog any turbo. So then I got kinda mad, but then I got happy, because hey, now I can get the biggest damn one I can find! I think I finally decided on the Drag Gen II kit for the prelude engine I'm getting. I haven't been able to find a Gen III kit for it from them. I've heard they make one of the best kits so I wanna get the best. My car is gonna be in Low rider euro when I'm done with it. I already have the letter of intent
Old 12-03-2001, 02:05 PM   #6
drift
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to drift
what kind of "little things" would you have to worry about on a turbo setup? changing the oil every 3000 miles? *ooOooOOoO!*

turbo motors arent more maintenance than a non-turbocharged motor.
drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 02:07 PM   #7
super 96 accord
AF Enthusiast

The thing that's gonna suck though, is that my registration is gonna be HELLA expensive. The reason being is that every time I need to do a smog check, I need to have the turbo taken off and then put back on afterwards. So my registration is gonna run me an extra $600! OUCH!! But it will be worth it w/all them ponies
Old 12-03-2001, 02:08 PM   #8
super 96 accord
AF Enthusiast

I'm not sure about extra maintenance on a turbo engine because I've never had one before. I do know that the gas is gonna be expensive too because you have to buy the super.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:35 PM   #9
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

super 96 accord: Are JDM motors smog legal??? I didnt think they were unless you add all the smog stuff on.. I dont know much about the smog stuff since Im not in an area that checks for it (yet). I know Fmax has a pretty good kit for the prelude, it uses a T3/T4 turbo, which is the same as a Drag Turbo. Click here for link ->F-Max

Drift: turbos arent really that much more maintance as a built NA motor. You have to make sure all your air and fuel are tuned out right and some dyno tuning is almost a must (but this isnt different for a strong NA motor). You also need to make sure all your internals are in good shape before you install a Turbo. You can change you oil ever 3000 miles witha turbo just like you should anyway, unless you notice that your oil is breaking down to quick, then you aught to look at changing oil brands, changing it more often, or maybe keep you oil cooler with an oil cooler or something. I would suggestion running synthetic oil with a turbo, or any performance motor for that matter, it lasts a little long, which will aid in protecting your motor.

If you want anymore info on Turbos just ask, If I dont know. I can find out for you.

Bikes:
Old 12-03-2001, 04:05 PM   #10
super 96 accord
AF Enthusiast

It might be hard finding a shop to do the swap for you to make it legal. It'll be even harder finding one to actually right it out for you that they'll make the swap legal. There's a great shop by where I live that does swaps all day long with no problems. They do the wiring really good so it'll pass visual and they should pass out the pipe. Also, you HAVE to put in an engine that's at least the same year as your car.

Example: You CAN'T put a 95 engine in your 96 car. But you CAN put an 96 engine in your 95 car.
Old 12-03-2001, 04:13 PM   #11
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by super 96 accord
It might be hard finding a shop to do the swap for you to make it legal. It'll be even harder finding one to actually right it out for you that they'll make the swap legal. There's a great shop by where I live that does swaps all day long with no problems. They do the wiring really good so it'll pass visual and they should pass out the pipe. Also, you HAVE to put in an engine that's at least the same year as your car.

Example: You CAN'T put a 95 engine in your 96 car. But you CAN put an 96 engine in your 95 car.
I knew that you couldnt put and older motor in a newer car. Is there a reason you dont go USDM? They should be legal. Aslong you as you stay OBDII (for hondas that 1996 and newer) You might have a little less power but you wont have to worry about it.

Bikes:
Old 12-03-2001, 04:23 PM   #12
drift
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to drift
Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Drift: turbos arent really that much more maintance as a built NA motor. You have to make sure all your air and fuel are tuned out right and some dyno tuning is almost a must (but this isnt different for a strong NA motor). You also need to make sure all your internals are in good shape before you install a Turbo. You can change you oil ever 3000 miles witha turbo just like you should anyway, unless you notice that your oil is breaking down to quick, then you aught to look at changing oil brands, changing it more often, or maybe keep you oil cooler with an oil cooler or something. I would suggestion running synthetic oil with a turbo, or any performance motor for that matter, it lasts a little long, which will aid in protecting your motor.

If you want anymore info on Turbos just ask, If I dont know. I can find out for you.

thanks. i was being sarcastic.
drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 04:31 PM   #13
Racing Rice
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by drift

thanks. i was being sarcastic.
Well maybe someone else can use that info then..

Bikes:
Old 12-03-2001, 07:14 PM   #14
J SPEC SilEighty
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to J SPEC SilEighty
Hey, I'm 15 turning 16 jan 4th. and I'm gonna be buying my first car probably within the next couple of weeks. I'm gonna buy a 5th gen coupe and then save what money I have left over and put it toward a second gen B16a. The best deal that I have seen on it is at www.jdmclub.com . I will turbocharge it eventually but not right off the bat. But, if I were u then I'd still go for the swap first.

LATER
J SPEC SilEighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 04:32 PM   #15
super 96 accord
AF Enthusiast

Well since I know my mechanic knows his stuff I know I don't have to worry about it ever not passing. And the main reason is because it seems to be better for the shows if you have a JDM.