Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 02:54 PM   #1
2k civic si
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 2k civic si
can i put a turbo on a stock engine?

this may seem like a stupid question but can i put a greddy stage 2 turbo kit on my stock civic si? i was goinig to type everything in the was in the kit.. but it was to much.. but could someone please IM me on aol? supragrl7@hotmail.com.. i know i know.. i love supras..but cant afford one now lol.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:05 PM   #2
integragsr98
AF Regular

No problem, just be sure to run a safe amount of boost that your stock internals can handle, probably 6-8 lbs for a Si, i'm not sure about the Si engine, but it would be close to that number. Just make sure the Greddy kit you buying are made for the 2000 civic Si, you don't wanna buy the wrong kit and screwd up , but turbocharging with stock engine is no problem, it would be better if you can upgrade the fuel system. List whats in the kit, it helps others to answer ur question.

CW

xtremetuners.com
Old 07-29-2003, 03:13 PM   #3
turbo2nr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
yea the greedy kit will bolt up no problems.
you can boost up to 8psi safely and 10psi if you have a good fuel sys. i would boost over 10psi.

when you get the turbo kit i recommend a s-afc with it so you can re-do the air\fuel mixture to compensate for the added air commin in.

good luck

Shift_BOOST
97 s14
Old 07-29-2003, 06:06 PM   #4
2k civic si
AF Newbie

Kit Includes the followingrag High flow 4 into 1 cast iron turbo exhaust manifold..Turbonetics T4/T3 High flow turbocharger assembly..Turbonetics Deltagate Mark II Wastegate (7 PSI Spring)..
Drag High Flow front mount intercooler w/
polished cast aluminum end tanks..BLITZ Super Blow Off Valve..Drag mandrel bent high flow chrome plated intercooler pipes..Drag mandrel bent high flow exhaust down pipe..Drag wastegaste dump tube assembly
Drag Blue silicone hose and hose clamps..Drag High pressure/High volume inline fuel pump..Drag Boost dependent FMU fuel regulator
Intake air filter assembly..Map sensor bypass valves..Stainless steel braided oil feed line w/ fittings..Oil return assembly..All necessary hardware and fittings..All necessary hose and hose clamps..All necessary gaskets

that is what the turbo kit has in it
Old 07-30-2003, 07:48 AM   #5
integragsr98
AF Regular

I see....you are going for the Drag kit...let me advice you before you buy it though...Drag isn't really a direct bolt on kit as they claimed it to be, it is a pain in the ass to install, and it spools up very slow, also the manifold is not that strong, it will crack. I wouldn't spend that much money on a drag kit, there are many other turbo kits avaliable out there in the market, such as FMax, Rev Hard, these 2 are the best kits out here beside Greddy..or you can put your pieces together for a custom turbo kit..it might saves you some money that way...do some researches on different kits avaliable before purchase...after all it's alot of money involved.

xtremetuners.com
Old 07-30-2003, 10:22 AM   #6
2k civic si
AF Newbie

hey..i looked at the rev hard.. it said that it is applicable to this model: 92-00 Civic (B Series - Hybrid) ..would that be mind? since it is a 2000 civic si? i mean i would think so..but i dont want to buy it then be screwed..bc most of the other ones that i have looked at said 1999-2000 civic si(V-TEC DOHC) so, i didnt know. also... what would be the best exhaust for the turbo? thanks
Old 07-30-2003, 10:34 AM   #7
turbo2nr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
i think you should go with the greedy kit.. from what i have heard it is a great kit. i know two guys runnin it on their 00 si like yours.. only at 8 psi tho.

when the say 92-00 b-series hybrids the mean 92-00 civics with b-series motors in them.. i think it shoul work right but im not sure..

as for your exhaust question... any 3" exhaust will do the more free flowin the better for turbo cars..

good luck

Shift_BOOST
97 s14
Old 07-30-2003, 10:48 AM   #8
integragsr98
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by 2k civic si
hey..i looked at the rev hard.. it said that it is applicable to this model: 92-00 Civic (B Series - Hybrid) ..would that be mind? since it is a 2000 civic si? i mean i would think so..but i dont want to buy it then be screwed..bc most of the other ones that i have looked at said 1999-2000 civic si(V-TEC DOHC) so, i didnt know. also... what would be the best exhaust for the turbo? thanks
Yes, i think so, but not 100% sure, the best thing to do is contact them and ask them, they should know what is applicable with their kit. Greddy is great kit,but a lil more expensive, and you might have to buy your own intercooler since they don't really comes with one. If you really want the power from the exhaust, get any exhaust with 3" pipings like turbo2nr said, the most popular 3" exhaust would be Thermal Research & Development 3" turbo exhaust, they are great for turbo application, they are not as quiet as greddy evo, but don't worry bout the loudness like someone told me, turbocharged car usually more quiet. It will really gain you alot more HP than other 2.5" and 2.25" pipings exhaust.

xtremetuners.com
Old 05-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #9
bren2065
AF Newbie

Re: can i put a turbo on a stock engine?

I have a 96 civic EX with a catback exhaust and cold air intake is it safe to slap a turbo on my civic if so how much boost can i run and what mods could make it capable of running more boost

thx
Old 05-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
sv650s
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sv650s Send a message via MSN to sv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren2065
I have a 96 civic EX with a catback exhaust and cold air intake is it safe to slap a turbo on my civic if so how much boost can i run and what mods could make it capable of running more boost

thx
your engine can handle about 200hp stock but there are risks with forced induction on a stock d16 (actually depends on how much boost it can handle safely).....i recommend that you continue with the bolt ons till you're sure you want to add the turbocharger, basically you'll have to rebuild the engine (reduce compression, forged internals, stronger fuel pump, bigger injectors.....) or you can just do a k series or b series engine swap and work on that. personally i think you should learn a little more before you rush into anything cos with engines a little mistake could mess stuff up easy
Old 07-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #11
Schister66
AF -Advisor

Send a message via AIM to Schister66 Send a message via MSN to Schister66

D's can handle a lot more power than just 200whp if you have a good setup and a good tuner. The general rule of thumb is 220whp or so on stock D internals....personally rather than buying a pre-fabbed kit, i would put one together myself. I did that w/ my GSR turbo build and i learned a lot in the process....
Old 07-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #12
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

I don't mean to be a jerk or anything but next time, instead of resurrecting a 3 year old thread, start a new one. we don't really like old threads being brought back. also, if you're going to resurrect an old thread (not quite 3 years old, that's really old, i mean if you're going to bring back a month old thread or whatever) make sure you have something to add to said thread.

But aside from that, welcome to AF, there's tonnes of info available here you just need to be polite, don't flame, respect older members, follow guidelines, and you'll do fine.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #13
Schister66
AF -Advisor

Send a message via AIM to Schister66 Send a message via MSN to Schister66

wow this is an old one.....i didn't even notice that