Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 11:50 AM   #1
frozen_Joth
Easily Distracted

Send a message via AIM to frozen_Joth
N20 Question

I dont know much about nitrous, in fact I have never actually seen a nitrous kit installed(in person). I was thinking about maybe investing in a N20 kit soon and I need to know a couple things. Do you only want to use it in 5th gear? What about in an auto? The reason I ask is beacuse it seems like if you hit the nitrous in 3rd or 4th gear you would rev to fast to change gears quick enough to gain speed. But I don't have a single clue to how you would go about it. And about how many shots do you get in a medium-sized tank? And one last question which just may the dumbest, do you hold the button for a sec. or just hit it and let go? Any info would be appreciated.
-Short throw, lowered
frozen_Joth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:20 PM   #2
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

You can usually hold it for about 15 seconds. Depends on how much you are putting in. So lets just assume a 50 shot which is 2 lbs per minute. The average bottle is ten pounds. So 4 times a minute, times five would give you 20 times you can hit it before needing refilled.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:23 PM   #3
Cronic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Cronic
n2o

Doesn't matter which gear your in. It will speed things up a bit though. Not so much as you can't compensate by shifting.
Cronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:37 PM   #4
Mr. Anderson
AF Enthusiast

Well from personal experience...no you definetly do not want to use N2O in fifth gear as that is an overdrive gear and can't handle the power too well. First gear is completely useless unless you like to buy tires alot, or you just want to put on a smoke show. What kind of car are you considering putting this in? My Zex kit activates at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) which is activated by a toggle switch (you're watching too many movies). So you hit the toggle and when you gun it the NOS kicks in. What I do is activate the switch right after I shift into second.. get up to about 4k and punch it......zoom zoom! When your done racing flip the toggle off. Yes there are such things as the push buttons, but you don't need that. PWMAN hit the refills on the head.. however when your tank gets down to about 3lbs or less your nitrous isn't performing to what it is capable of because of lost pressure. Below 2lbs is close to nothing at all! And to furthermore.. if you are going to be using this on the street alot (which you shouldn't be) invest in a remote bottle opener, of course if it is going in a trunk? It's a pain in the ass when some dipshit pulls next to you and your bottle is off! Hope I helped........
Old 06-03-2003, 03:44 PM   #5
Cronic
AF Enthusiast

n2o

Depending on the kit you can hold WOT or the button down as long as you like. It's not recommended however.

5th gear will not "wear out" just cause it's an overdrive, It's not weaker then any other gear, in fact, this should be the last gear that breaks because it puts so much less stress on the tranny being as it's so long.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:47 PM   #6
Mr. Anderson
AF Enthusiast

hmm.. that's interesting! Of course, that part of my answer was based on someone else suggestion from here so I just took heed of it. If you were going to use it in fifth gear, probably wouldn't be a good idea until you hit at least 4500 or 5k right? Whatta ya think?
Old 06-03-2003, 03:54 PM   #7
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
however when your tank gets down to about 3lbs or less your nitrous isn't performing to what it is capable of because of lost pressure. Below 2lbs is close to nothing at all!
That is true, I forgot about that.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:59 PM   #8
Cronic
AF Enthusiast

n2o

A friend of mine runs a nitrogen bottle to keep the pressure in the n2o bottle up. He uses a seperate solenoid to transfer the gas.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:01 PM   #9
Mr. Anderson
AF Enthusiast

Interesting........got any links to that!? Never heard of it before...
Old 06-03-2003, 04:52 PM   #10
frozen_Joth
Easily Distracted

Send a message via AIM to frozen_Joth
o.k. thanks for the help, damn this forum kicks ass.
-Short throw, lowered
frozen_Joth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 06:30 PM   #11
Cronic
AF Enthusiast

Link.

Old 06-07-2003, 09:29 AM   #12
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg
Don't spray in 5th gear the reason is b/c the car needs to be in a low gear so that the car can speed up quickly, when in 5th gear though it won't and you will do damage to the motor not the tranny the extra strain will be put on the motor. Also I would recomend a WOT switch. If you don't install a WOT swirch then be sure to never spray any other time than WIDE OPEN THROTTLE! I have been using N20 for about 2yrs now and I have had no serious problems my internals are fine and compression on my motor is extremely good for the situation(192,190,190,192) spec is (199,199,199,199) but the motor has 135k miles on it also so I think it is rather excellent compression numbers.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:57 AM   #13
Cronic
AF Enthusiast

It will not matter what gear your in.

Old 06-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #14
iceiso
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to iceiso
aha ha ha, really really stupid question but it's kinda relevant...

is wide open throttle redline (or close to it) or is it when your foot is when the gas pedal is completely depressed?
iceiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 12:30 PM   #15
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg
Quote:
Originally posted by Cronic
It will not matter what gear your in.
Ok pall you go ahead and spray in 5th gear and see how long that lasts! You will either be replacing clutch, or piston rings b/c when you try spraying in 5th gear your clutch fries itself and the engine redlines hitting the fuel cutoff and suddenly there is a lean condition and you know the rest and if you don't then you don't know what you are talking about and should stay away from giving ppl advice on somethng you know nothing about.

iceiso:

WOT is when the pedal is pressed to the floor ( the throttle plate is turned horizontal)