Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Anything you ever wanted to know about boosting the performance of your Cavalier.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:04 AM   #1
Dr.Mambo666
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr.Mambo666
Beafore I Boost

Ok i've never boosted a car and before I do that i want to prep the engine and tranny for the extra stress it will be going through.I know you need forged internals ect. But like i said I've never gone out shopping for these parts and i dont know everything i need b4 my car can take a turbo setup. So my question(s) is What are all the parts i need and how much roughly are they gunna cost me for the good 1s not the cheap shit. Thanks

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2535716
Dr.Mambo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:38 AM   #2
notaricajustfasta
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to notaricajustfasta
Re: Beafore I Boost

This has been at least the 3rd or 4th turbo thread within the past two weeks. Im sure someone will tell you, but please search and you will firnd a myriad of threads with other people asking the same question. Use google and dont buy stuff off ebay and it will be at least 2-3k for something good.
1998 Cavalier 5 speed: Custom CAI, Ractive Muffler, B&M Short Shifter cut down, new 4-1 header, Pioneer 6700 head unit, Apline Type-R 6x9's on the rear deck powered by an ESA 100 watt amp and Pioneer 4x6's in the doors
1/4 mile: 16.854 @ 80.30 MPH
To Do List: Finish 2.25" exhaust, New clutch
Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick two
notaricajustfasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
Dr.Mambo666
AF Regular

ok i did a little lokking around and found a thread that dealt with the internals and stuff.I guess i should of done that 1st. Ok now i have a new question that i couldnt find a thread on. What the compression for the pistons on a 2000 cavy 2200(2.2l) at and when i get new pistons what would be the best compression i should keep them at for boosting? and to add 1 more thing how can i change the gear ratio in my tranny(auto)?

Old 08-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
Schister66
AF -Advisor

Send a message via AIM to Schister66 Send a message via MSN to Schister66

Oh my god...i think i should write a book or something. You guys need to do a little research before thinking you're going to boost. First off, you DO NOT NEED INTERNALS, but it is going to limit the power you can make. Cavaliers dont exactly have high compression so running lower boost and not making a ton of power is completely fine. The weakest part in your car is the stock auto tranny...

I dont even know what else to say about this...if you have questions, you can PM me...i've built 3 setups on my car alone and helped countless other people in town and online...just lmk, i'm willing to help
Old 08-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
Schister66
AF -Advisor

oh yeah...if you link ebay turbo parts, i'm going to smack you
Old 08-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
Lances133
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Lances133

I'm so sick of hearing about people who are gonna be "boosting" their cars. It's just the thing to do I guess. I've been on this forum for years and sooooo many people have come and gone asking about "How can I boost my car!?".....I've only seen 1 person do it, and that's Derk. So I'll take these threads seriously when I see it done.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
Schister66
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lances133
I'm so sick of hearing about people who are gonna be "boosting" their cars. It's just the thing to do I guess. I've been on this forum for years and sooooo many people have come and gone asking about "How can I boost my car!?".....I've only seen 1 person do it, and that's Derk. So I'll take these threads seriously when I see it done.

wow...i'm not the only one sick of it. I hate hearing about all these people, both online and locally that talk on and on about how they're going to boost their cars and blah blah blah...nothing ever happens.

I didn't even say anything about my turbo setup until it was on the car. Sure i asked questions but i researched first and avoided the stupid mistakes that most people make.

If you're going to turbo your car, shut the fuck up and do it...i dont want to hear about it....if you have questions, great! I only help those who help themselves tho...
Old 08-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
jakegday
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jakegday Send a message via Yahoo to jakegday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schister66
wow...i'm not the only one sick of it.
fuck no your not

we even have a god damn sticky called "how to: boost your car" that everyone seems to avoid
jakegday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:55 AM   #9
Dr.Mambo666
AF Regular

wow thanks for the fucking help guys if u look at my posts theres not alot so im still kinda new to the site so sry for missing the sticky! And i do plan on boosting my car i just need a little info b4 i go in the dark on this thing!Its people like you that fucking make good sites seem shitty! And if youll take my thread searious when its done then why bother even asking it in the 1st place??So yeah thanks alot guys really appreciate it

Old 08-10-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Dr.Mambo666
AF Regular

schister66 i know uve turboes cars n shit so i pm u.I want internals done so i can boost higher not just at 7psi im looking to hit 15 maybe and i dunno if i want to get a new tranny or get a rebuild kit? Only problem is i cant find ne trannys out there so prob gunna rebuild the damn thing.Thanks for your help man.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #11
Schister66
AF -Advisor

one thing for everyone to know

Power kills engines, not PSI....the term "psi or pressure ratio" doesn't have any effect on whether your engine blows up or not....the power created is what damages the engine
Old 08-29-2007, 12:43 AM   #12
cavaliercrazy
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to cavaliercrazy

It's not that hard. I turboed my Cavy and its running great, but I have the eco which is a whole different story... I don't want to tell you to get a different car or anything, but if you want to run 15psi on forged internals its gonna cost ya...

I would say first off just start reading as much as you can about the subject. Then figure out what parts YOU want. Then just wait until you have absolutely everything ready. Don't forget about little stuff like exhaust gaskets. And its very nice to have someone knowledgeable there to help you. you'll neeed a welder, cutting tools, airtools are nice, but not needed.

There is a ton of stuff you need and after you start looking around for parts you'll realize how many parts are needed to do the job right.

If you have any more specific questions maybe someone can help.

Good luck!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 01:55 AM   #13
Schister66
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliercrazy
if you want to run 15psi on forged internals its gonna cost ya...

saying this proves that you dont know as much about turbo setups as you think....Let me say it again so that everyone hears it "PSI DOESN"T MEAN A DAMN THING...HORSEPOWER KILLS ENGINES, NOT PSI!!!" The only practical measurement is by telling us either the horsepower you're making OR the lb/min flow of your turbo at a specific pressure ratio. Take your own advice and learn more...
Old 08-29-2007, 02:18 AM   #14
cavaliercrazy
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to cavaliercrazy

I knew someone would cry about that comment. I know technically psi and horsepower are two completely different beasts, but they are RELATIVE to each other. its just easier to say that way. because honestly... lets think about it. whta happens when you turn up the boost?...more horsepower right!!?! Run of thumb is ABOUT 10 hp per lb of boost. ROUGHLY... ABOUT that much. DON'T QUOTE ME

do me a favor... explain to me how this cavalier owner would EVER be able to run 15 POUNDS OF BOOST, WITHOUT making to much HORSEPOWER and blowing his motor...
ok were talking about a 2.2 115 hp engine STOCK. ok maybe if he slaps the smallest turbo ever on his car and runs that much boost he might not make enough power to blow it up. that is the only way.

I understand what your saying, but I was just using that as... sort of a guideline...

I don't want to start an argument. I am not an E-Thug! lol

And as far as my turbo knowlege goes... I might not be the turbo guru or anything, but I have enough brains to take a naturally aspirated cavalier and make it a reliable daily driver that will run a mid 13 second 1/4 mile. I found all the parts myself and did the whole project on a budget AND installed it myslef with the help of one friend over the weekend! So don't go calling me stupid because I typed "15psi" instead of "alot of horsepower".

Peace
Old 08-29-2007, 08:44 AM   #15
Schister66
AF -Advisor

Ok well here's how it all works.

Turbos flow a set amount of air at a given pressure ratio. That amount of air is measured in lb/min flow. Now if i was to take a turbo like a DSM 14b for example (stock eclipse turbo) and run it at 1 bar (14.5037psi), it would flow about 10 lb/min. Take another turbo, say a standard T3/T04 57 trim .63ar, it would flow ~30-32 lb/min. The difference in lb/min flow is where you see the power difference from a small turbo to a big turbo. If you were to put both of those turbos on something that i'm familiar with, say a B series Honda VTEC engine, the 14b at 1 bar would yield roughly 210whp; whereas, the 57 trim would push past the 320whp mark.

In this case, the pressure means nothing. The level of boost you run on a specific turbo really doesn't mean anything in a comparitive sense; therefore, saying that one person is running 15psi doesn't mean a thing without knowing the flow rate of the turbo. Some turbos are going to run out of their respective efficiency ranges at higher boost which can cause further problems, but that is due to the heat produced by the inefficient compression of the air, not the actual pressure ratio itself.

Another common misconception is this idea of "too much cylinder pressure." People think that if their turbo pushes too much boost, that it will somehow cause the engine to blow simply because of the pressure. Cylinder pressure in conjunction with the actual pressure the turbo is producing is not something that really matters in any way. If you really think about it, the only thing that really makes a difference is how much air you can stick in a cylinder. The sheer volume of air is what does the damage, not the pressure it is at. More air = more power and therefore, i proved my original statement that power kills engines, not PSI alone.

If you have any questions or want to learn to read compressor maps, just let me know and i'll be glad to help.

References:

http://www.stealth316.com/1-tech.htm
http://www.stealth316.com/2-3s-compflowmaps.htm
http://oldschool.supracentral.com/mods/turbo/57trim.gif
http://www.mygen.com/users/dbruce/my...sor%20Maps.htm
http://not2fast.wryday.com/turbo/maps/

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Performance