Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Robi J
AF Enthusiast

Inside the box: 1/24 Tecnomodel Ferrari 250 SWB (1961/62) - Review

So Guys, let’s go inside the box of the latest kit release from Tecnomodel: the 1961/62 Ferrari 250 SWB – scale 1/24 – cod. TK-2401A

Not a million-pieces kit, but the quality is really high. Resin, plastic, white metal, photoetched parts, turned aluminium parts, decals, tinted taillights, rubber tires, everything properly done

Mechanical parts need a little cleaning, there are nearly no imperfection, hood is a separate piece, as well as the front air intake where the photoetched grille shall be located

Headlights are cleared with resin, there are frames for the windows; the steering wheels features two semi-parts made of plastic which have to be connected to the etched element

Chromed metal parts, white metal wheel knock-off, aluminium exhaust tips and brass axis

The etched parts intended for the cockpit are textured

Exhaust tips and a small etched nice fret

Besides the stock version, four racing liveries are available in decals (1961 Le Mans and Tourist Trophy, 1962 Tour de France). Outstanding quality

Rubber tires and pre-assembled alu rims. The photos are self-explanatory…

Bodywork and hood, very minimal cleaning required, perfect surfaces finishing

Engine block, relevant details and gearbox

Left and right-hand dashboards

Also included a thin, crystal clear acetate for the windows

Part list, assembling instructions and decals guide

Bye: R
Robi J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robi J For This Useful Post:
ilferraristarosso (11-15-2012), kitefighter (05-25-2012), lovegt40 (05-24-2012), RonCla (05-24-2012), sjelic (05-24-2012), stratos75 (05-25-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
ale-o
AF Newbie

Re: Inside the box: 1/24 Tecnomodel Ferrari 250 SWB (1961/62) - Review

Hmm looks like a nice kit, athough quite expensive probably but still i am just confused about the clear parts which are obviously not included or you just didn´t show them.. I see you get a sheet of clear plastic but what for..? Are you supposed to vacuum form the windows by yourself? well that is not a big deal if you have a ¨negative¨ , but i dont see one.. ?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Robi J
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ale-o View Post
...I am just confused about the clear parts which are obviously not included or you just didn´t show them.. I see you get a sheet of clear plastic but what for..? Are you supposed to vacuum form the windows by yourself? well that is not a big deal if you have a ¨negative¨ , but i dont see one.. ?
The kit includes a plain acetate transparent sheet (photo no. 23) for the clear parts. There is a sketch on the instructions, but I think I'll go using the etched window frames as a jig, glueing the acetate onto the frames and then bent/glue them all to the bodywork. I hope...
Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
F1Tommy
AF Enthusiast

Kit looks very nice. Those window frames/clear sheet windows are tricky but look very nice when finished. I have seen the built up version and it is a very accurate model kit of the late version 250 SWB. Still $100.00 US less than the Hiro. Thank you for the review photos

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2013-Chicago March 2013
F1Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

I get jittery when a new review comes up on here. Love seeing new reviews. Thanks for sharing. The kit looks very promising. Resin looks clean, and decals look crisp. 100 bucks cheaper so are we talking about 200 bucks for it? Good luck with the build.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
RonCla
AF Regular

No surprises there. Looks like another nice clean kit from Technomodel and up to their usual standards.
RonCla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
Veyron
AF Fanatic

I built their 250 Sperimentale kit a few years ago, they build up nice. The window system is fiddly but if you have the patience it can yield a good look. The drivetrain parts are copies of Italeri kit parts.

kitefighter (05-25-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
ale-o
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi J View Post
The kit includes a plain acetate transparent sheet (photo no. 23) for the clear parts. There is a sketch on the instructions, but I think I'll go using the etched window frames as a jig, glueing the acetate onto the frames and then bent/glue them all to the bodywork. I hope...
Uhh sounds complicated but good luck! I dont see how thats even posible to bend a flat surface into a more complex form such as a windshield without using heat and a negative to press it on.. Athough, if it needs to be bend only one way that might actualy work
Old 05-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Robi J
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Uhh sounds complicated but good luck! I dont see how thats even posible to bend a flat surface into a more complex form such as a windshield without using heat and a negative to press it on.. Athough, if it needs to be bend only one way that might actualy work
You're right, it will be complicated. I still have to check how many curves needs the windshield and I guess I'll ask for some suggestion from the Tecnomodel aftersales service...
Old 05-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
F1Tommy
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
As long as it does not have any compound curves it is possible, and the windows look super clear like glass. A car window with tight compound curves or vents has to be vacuformed(like an F40 rear window). If you have ever seen a BBR or Tecnomodel built up thats how they do it. It requires alot of practice and skill to look perfect.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2013-Chicago March 2013
F1Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
sjelic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to sjelic

Robi....you make me spend my money again...I wanted to buy 250 for a long time and was looking at MFH one, but I do adore Tecno kits, to bad they don't do more of them...I love them in 43 to, to bad they do most of the cars as built ones...and that 430 in 1/24 that was planed....I will never forgive them for not delivering it to the market
Thanks for review, this is best promotion possible.
As for the windows...they shouldn't be big problem, maybe they should have made them pre-cut...it would make life easier

SCALEMAKERS

MK Grunf modelling club Croatia
sjelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Robi J
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjelic View Post
Robi....you make me spend my money again...
I'm sorry Hi Sasa, nice to hear from you.
I forgot to mention that the clear acetate included in the kit is enough for 2 cars, at least, so there is a little margin for possible error. For sure pre-cut items would have been really appreciated.

Concerning the 1/24 F430 GT, me too, I won't forgive them, especially because the master they prepared was a beauty. I spoke about this topic with them a couple of years ago at a local hobby show, but yet at that time was rather clear the project would have been abandoned. Really a pity...

Robi