Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Supra > Maintenance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Maintenance Have questions? Find answers. Help out fellow Supra owners.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 09:48 PM   #1
Kwattro
AF Newbie

Transmission additives(slipping under load), share your experiences, please help.

The auto trans in my 91 Supra (90,000miles) has developed a slipping issue. It revs a little between up shifts, and completely slips while downshifting under heavy load. The fluid has always been clean/regularly changed with the proper grade ATF since it's been under my ownership. Rebuilding is out of the question financially right now so I'm looking for an additive that you have experienced positive results from. I'm not expecting miracles, but a noticeable change for the better would be nice.

Has anyone tried Lucas Transmission Fix, or TransX?

Thanks!
Kwattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 10:22 AM   #2
projectsupramk3
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to projectsupramk3
Re: Transmission additives(slipping under load), share your experiences, please help.

Additives aren't going to solve the problem at all, and 99% of them are snake oils. I have heard good things from using redline or royal purple in a manual trans and rear diff but it could easily be the owners imadgining things. I can't help much with the driving/shifting habbits of the A340 trans but if I had to guess I would say the torque converter is going out, seems strange with it only having 90K on it. It's just as easy as changing out the clutch, easier actually because you don't have to deal with the R-154 clutch fork. Doesn't sound normal at all but just take my advice on this one with a grain of salt. Definetly take it to a trusted local transmission shop and have them diagnose it.
projectsupramk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 11:57 AM   #3
Kwattro
AF Newbie

Re: Transmission additives(slipping under load), share your experiences, please help.

2 bottles of Lucas Trans Fix and it's back to normal, for now.
Kwattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:05 PM   #4
JDM3.0SuPrA
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to JDM3.0SuPrA

drop in a w58 manual tranny..stop messin around with automatics..pull one off a second or third gen. in a boneyard and do a swap..shuldnt take long and def. shuldnt be too expensive...

JDM 3.0L SuPrA
JDM3.0SuPrA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:17 PM   #5
projectsupramk3
AF Enthusiast

"Rebuilding is out of the question financially right now... "
How is he going to do a manual swap if he can't afford a rebuild. The transmission won't cost a whole lot, especially a W58, but there are alot of little parts that add up to alot, including a new clutch.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:04 PM   #6
JDM3.0SuPrA
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to JDM3.0SuPrA

if he cant afford a JUNKYARD tranny then he cant afford to run the car...so scrape together some cash, learn how to drive stick and get off ur butt and do some work...dont buy autos from the beginning anyways...lucas is prob. the only other thing u can do to stop it from slipping..otherwise just drive the damn thing till it dies...if you cant afford a junkyard tranny then you shouldnt be driving a supra..get a corolla...
JDM3.0SuPrA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:34 PM   #7
projectsupramk3
AF Enthusiast

Read my post above again... he's not modifying the car, he's not pushing anything hard, he was only looking for a quick fix to get from A to B. A JY trans will cost around $100, you can probably get them to throw in the driveshaft, clutch lines, pedal, brackets, shifter, and everything else for some extra on top of that, then a good low pressure N/A clutch will cost you atleast another $400. Now you tell me which is the finacially smart fix for the moment, in this situation, $5 or $550? If he was putting on some low buck home depot mods to get higher HP for no money I would agree, that you shouldn't mod your car if you don't have the money to get supporting mods and fix something when it breaks, but that's not the case now is it?