Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Continental
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
UMarquette
AF Newbie

98 - How to Program Garage Door Opener

Hello,
Just bought a '98 Continental. It did not come with the owners manual. I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to program the garage door opener that is on the sun viser. Thanks,

-Tim
UMarquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:44 PM   #2
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Re: 98 - How to Program Garage Door Opener

This instruction is for 1996 Town Car, but I'm sure their similliar. I don't recall the manufacturer, but if you can remembwer, or maybe it's kinda embossed on the facia plate, they have a website that gives details of every different year, and car. It's Home(something) ?

Ok I remember'd it. Homelink
However, they took down their programming pages. They do have basic instructions posted there, and some support options as well.

from the 1996 book:

Universal Transmitter

The universal transmitter provides a convenient way to consolidate the functions of up to three individual hand-held transmitters into one universal transmitter.

The universal transmitter:

l will operate garage doors, gates, home/office lighting systems or even security systems and nearly any device that is controlled by radio frequency.

l will actually learn and transmit the radio frequency of up to three hand-held transmitters from any of the systems mentioned above.

l is an integral part of the LH inside visor and powered by vehicle's battery and charging system. No batteries are needed.

Programming

Before Programming

l Make sure batteries in the hand-held transmitter are not dead.

l Hold hand-held transmitter in the exact position described against the universal transmitter.

l Hold buttons for duration of the programming without interruption.

l For best results, place the hand-held transmitter end opposite the battery compartment against the universal transmitter when programming.

1. CAUTION: During this procedure the system being programmed will be made to operate. Make sure that people or objects are clear of the garage door or gate being programmed.

Decide which one of the three universal transmitter channels to be programmed (Button 1, 2, or 3).

2. Hold the end of hand-held transmitter button against the bottom surface of the universal transmitter so that the red light can be seen.

3. Using both hands, push both the hand-held transmitter button and the desired universal transmitter button. Do not release either button. Continue to hold both buttons through step 4.

4. Hold down both buttons until red light on the universal transmitter flashes, first slowly and then rapidly. This could take up to a minute or more. Release both buttons after light flashes rapidly.

The rapid flash means that the universal transmitter has been successfully programmed to match hand-held transmitter. The universal transmitter can now be used instead of hand-held transmitter.

Operation

To operate, simply press the appropriate button on the universal transmitter. The red light illuminates while the signal is being transmitted.

Clearing Program

To clear the universal transmitter of all previously programmed frequencies, simultaneously hold down buttons 1 and 3 until the red light begins to flash and then goes out. This will clear all three channels.

Individual channels cannot be cleared but can be reprogrammed at any time by implementing the programming procedures as outlined.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:03 PM   #3
UMarquette
AF Newbie

I tried the procedure, and it seems like we both have the same Homelink system. However, it doesn't work, but I think thats because I have one of those high-tech garage door openers that might make it difficult to program.

-Tim
UMarquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

OK now you forced me to look up some old stuff.....

Back before HomeLink removed the instruction from their www I copied some of it. I'll post to my www what I have.

After reading the document, it sounds like you may have a "rolling code" opener.

Go Over here (clicky).. and either download, print, or view the original programming document.

Look for the section on Rolling Codes, that may be your situation.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #5
neil517
AF Newbie

If you have a rolling code garage door opener, after you program the homelink transmitter in the car, you then just need to push the program button on the back of your garage door opener itself, it might be behind the light covers of the opener, it's usually on the back of the opener stamped either program code or learn code, press that button and a red light will flash now get in the car and press the homelink button you programed. This should make it work. Make sure the car is in the run position before you try this programming.
neil517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:49 AM   #6
cougar214
AF Regular

that is how its done on my 99 as well.But i have noticed no one has mentioned you have to erase the factory codes first.You do this by holding the left and right outer buttons on the visor till the light flashes rapidly.hope that helps.
cougar214 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Continental