Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Camaro SS or Mustang Cobra
Camaro 76 59.38%
Mustang 52 40.63%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 10:45 AM   #151
Shaitan
AF Enthusiast

MUSTANG
Old 05-30-2002, 09:41 AM   #152
Euro19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Euro19 Send a message via AIM to Euro19 Send a message via Yahoo to Euro19
Exclamation Camaro sucks

I donīt care if the Camaro is 0.5 or 1 second faster than the Mustang, the Mustang is way better car that the Camaro. Itīs got a much better styling, interior, engine sounds. Donīt try to defend what you canīt. Nobody wants and buys Camaros anymore, starting long time ago, is just that comparing it to the Mustang, the Camaro just canīt win. Itīs untasty old fashioned, a very poor quality materials, specially the interior, and I could go on and on, and itīs not just me that says this, just check some serious magazines and youīll see, the camaro is only good for speed. period.
And with the new Mustang SVT Cobra the Camaro is under ground.

why is everybody talking all this stuff about me, why donīt just they let me live?

- Daewoo

The Best SUV itīs korean!

Old 05-31-2002, 12:57 PM   #153
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
A Camaro is much cheaper than the new SVT stang, which also only adds 70hp from its blower. And the interior of both cars is not top class. Also, pretty much all mags said the stang seats weren't good, while the Camaro (though covered in rats hair), fit really well. And .5 to 1 second is a huge difference in acceleration at the speeds these cars are going at.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:17 AM   #154
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to -cy-
The camaro interior is cheap, you're right. The mustang interior is just as cheap in my opinion, only for some reason i like it less.

Cobra + blower = fast

SS or WS6 + blower = faster

I have a tone of respect for Cobras, and some GT's (not V6's, unless it has some major work...). I have an f-body, and i LOVE f-bodies, but do you think i'd pass up a chance to drive a stang around, heck no! I love driving muscle cars, and in the end its not about what is best, its what you love.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:18 PM   #155
joeB
AF Enthusiast

Z-28's and Firebirds have better styling, IMO, and that is what it
boils down to is what a person likes, both are nice, its all about anyones
own opinion, one is not better than the other.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:01 PM   #156
Pikachoo
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pikachoo
Camaro or T/A for me
I've driven both the cobra and SS's and T/A's. The stang has WAY better handling I think(around town anyways). For some reason the difference in handling reminds me of comparing a long wheelbase truck to a short wheelbase truck. The SWB just corners better. But the looks of an SS or T/A are WAY better than the rustang. Plus I have 2 frinds who have these cars(a 98 stang and a 99 SS). They both rag the crap out of their cars, and the guy with the mustang is embarassed to drive his car anynmore. THe engine knocks and makes all sorts of horrible sounds.

Please everybody stop misspelling Camaro. It is not Camero!!!!
(I didn't read the whole thread, maybe someone already corrected this)

Anyway, the poll speaks for itself and I agree:
Camaro 57 63.33%
Mustang 33 36.67%

Cruising a Z24 right now, But I've got plans....

http://www.lingenfelter.com/lpe%20-%208%20sec%20Vette.mov
Old 06-18-2002, 06:31 PM   #157
What ya Smoking?!?
AF Enthusiast

ill will go wit the cobra!:bandit: :smoka: :smoker2: :ylsuper
Old 07-11-2002, 09:09 PM   #158
Chris
Oldie

My moms bf just got a loaded 2001 Camaro SS convertible. It was a demo, so it had 2000km. Unfortunately, it has a slushbox. But it only cost hime $32000, or $20000 American. Its pretty nice and fast, my mom let me drive it But with the traction control off, doing a brake stand, it could only reach 1500rpm before the rear wheels started to move (this must be the stall speed for the cat). But it hooked up pretty quick after, although it really didn't enough rpm. A stick would fix that, or a high-stall torque converter. Anyway, it was still fun, and Car and Driver tells me it would be a low 6 second 0-60.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:53 PM   #159
joeB
AF Enthusiast

Did you call Car & Driver and ask them or read this?

Motor Trend got a 99 or newer convertible automatic 0 to 60

at in 5.5.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:44 PM   #160
Chris
Oldie

Um, where I thought I remembered from C&D was wrong, it was 99 or 00 Camaro with a 6 speed, and it did 5.3 seconds (convertible, though). I found another one, with a 2001 Camaro Z28 convertible with auto (May 2001), and C&D got it to go to 60 in 5.2 seconds. Its 5-60 mph was 5.3 seconds. Since this was an SS, I did a rolling start w/o traction control, so I know that would be close to their number. And my standing start probably couldn't be much better (maybe a few tenths), cuz autos are easy. A stick and me would be slower than a mag (that will change...someday )

Anyway, thanks for making me not go by memory, now I am much happier (The young should have money )
Old 08-24-2002, 09:55 AM   #161
96mustang
AF Newbie

Cool 2003 mustang cobra

WEll to all of you chevy fans out there i just want to say that there is no stock chevy alive that will beat a 2003 mustang cobra. I have seen tests on a Corvette zo6 and a 2003 cobra and the zo6 was 1 tenth of a second faster than the mustang and the mustang was equiped whith a role cage a on board computer to monitor speeds and was going into a 10 mph headwind while the zo6 had no extra weight and was at a sunny calm track in california so side to side the mustang would kill the corvette wich is the fastest so called production chevy ever made.

P.s. and there are faster production mustangs than a 2003 cobra
Old 08-24-2002, 10:39 AM   #162
ChibiSF
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ChibiSF
That's funny. The Corvette Z06 versus a Mustang Cobra. Are you crazy? I've seen a Corvette Z06 best a 2002 Porsche 911 turbo around a track. I highly doubt that a Mustang Cobra can claim the same.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:11 PM   #163
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Well, stock rating for stock rating, the ZO6 has a somewhat higher hp rating, and most likely torque as well (i don't remember that #). The ZO6 is a fairly light car, lighter than the '03 cobra. Yes, the '03 cobra is fast, but your statement is incorrect. You said that the '03 cobra wasn't the fastest production car made, well there have been some "special" runs of a small number of chevy cars, most i've seen are f-bodies that have hp ratings of 500hp.

As for the '03 cobras power, it seems that what everyone is finding ranges a lot. Some people are dynoing 380-390hp to the ground, and then some around putting more like 340hp to the ground. There have been a ton of instances of '03 cobras sucking at the track, but that could most likey be driver error. I do believe a number of the magazine tests have been on "specially treated" cars from ford, but i guess that could be for other cars as well.

I respect ford for actually stepping up to make a faster mustang, but i am not completely happy with the results. I want to see them with an option to up the displacement of the engine, keep the iron block (its iron on the '03 right), forged pistons, ect, ect for the boost and all and keep the blower (give it more boost stock though). Also, one thing seems kinda weird to me, previous cobra ratings were like 320hp, add a blower and only gain 70hp? I guess the stock boost could be a bit low, but in LS1's that get blown they gain a lot more than that. Who knows, all i knoe is the '03 cobra is a fast car now, and its nice to have a car in the range of LS1 f-body, and they both give eachother a run for their money.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:00 AM   #164
Chris
Oldie

Yes, most OEM forced induction is weak. For example, the Protege only gains 30 hp from its turbo (from 140 to 170). But is low boost (about 6psi)
The Cobra gets about 8 psi or so. But yeah, OEM blowers still suck alot. You could get about 450hp no problem with a real blower on a stang. But they need to maintain reliability, so the desire to cover their own ass overcomes the desire to provide desirable cars.

Morale of the story: Buy the NA version, then slam on aftermarket kit, save yourself money, add some fun
Old 08-25-2002, 03:15 AM   #165
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Yups. Anyways, if anyone is seriously racing their cars, it probably won't be stock, and as such what it WAS stock doesn't matter as they no longer are.

In conclusion, '03 cobra is fast, LS1's are fast, have fun.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons