Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Lucerne
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
jackmalone2001
AF Regular

Wheels Chrome or not?

Hello everybody!

Are the wheels that come on the Lucerne CXS actual Chrome or are they painted with a chrome-like paint?

Mine are showing signs of wear and the local wheel refurbish er says he wont work on chrome.

As always, thanks for the replies!

Jack

after:
jackmalone2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
polarzak
AF Regular

Re: Wheels Chrome or not?

Mine are chrome. Mine were peeling on the insides even though I have taken extreme care of them. I took them off cleaned them up and removed the peeling and corrosion. Then I pained the inside with a chrome paint, and it seems to have stopped the peeling. The fronts look great and you cannot even tell that the insides are painted. These GM wheels are not a very good quality.

Last edited by polarzak; 04-12-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: After thought
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
GMCustomerService
AF Regular

I would be happy to look into this for you. In order to do so, I will need the VIN for the vehicle. It may be best to send it to me via private message. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Tricia, can you at least tell us where the wheel's are being chromed? Just be honest, would it be in Mexico, or China?

Last edited by HotZ28; 10-15-2011 at 10:09 PM.
HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Wr_guy
AF Newbie

Mine are shot too. so bad they were leaking air!

I clean them every weekend.

Told GM and they did nothing.

I bought a set of new ones and use the old ones for snow tires with sealant.

I need to try the chrome paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
Mine are chrome. Mine were peeling on the insides even though I have taken extreme care of them. I took them off cleaned them up and removed the peeling and corrosion. Then I pained the inside with a chrome paint, and it seems to have stopped the peeling. The fronts look great and you cannot even tell that the insides are painted. These GM wheels are not a very good quality.
Wr_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Yeah, that chrome peels off, to a point where it can hit the calipers during rotation, and make a noise.....

These rims are expensive......

But, have seen GM customers complain, and have seen GM replace them.....this is a case where you have to have a Service Manager go to bat for you......and that will only happen, if you are a GM customer, who can show via repair records, that you bring your car to GM dealerships for your regular maintenance....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
polarzak
AF Regular

Well, I just took mine off to have a look at before the winter, and my paint job has stood the test through one salty winter and and rainy summer. Chrome on the outside is perfect, and the painted inside looks great. Even the areas where the chrome had peels off and I sealed with paint, there is no new peeling.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
Wr_guy
AF Newbie

Just took mine out of storage and the chrome inside was nasty.

Sanded it off and painted it.

Hope they last the winter.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
Wr_guy
AF Newbie

Well, I traded my car and now I have a set of 09 18" chrome wheels that are perfect.

They fit all Lucernes 06-11

I'm selling the car with the original wheels and keeping the new ones.

Anyone need a set?

Also have a set of like new Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 winter tires with 5k miles.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
Wr_guy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotZ28 View Post
Tricia, can you at least tell us where the wheel's are being chromed? Just be honest, would it be in Mexico, or China?
Mine were chomed in the U.S.

Sticker inside says "zoom chrome" or something in Michigan.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:31 AM   #11
polarzak
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotZ28 View Post
She will never get back to you. I see her on other sites asking for information to be sent to her privately, and that is the last time one hears from her. I think it is a scam, however if it is not, and she is actually helping people privately, then that is useless for the general forum users who may have the same problem. Frankly if I was the Admin of a site where this was happening, I would demand some proof of the posters credentials, without which, I would boot them off..
Rant over. Thank you.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
GMCustomerService
AF Regular

Hello all,

My name is Sarah, and I have taken over the account here on automotiveforums.com, for our department has been growing and there was a shifting of responsibilities.

I looked into the 2010 and 2011 Buick Lucerne ordering information and am seeing that on the higher trim levels the wheels are chrome-plated aluminum. The reason Tricia asked for the last 8 digits of a VIN was so that she could look specifically at your vehicle to see what it came with (which is still an option if you would like to send me a private message with that information).

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
polarzak
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCustomerService View Post
Hello all,

My name is Sarah,
I think everyone who has chrome wheels know they are chrome plated aluminum.

Well, Sarah, perhaps you could still answer HotZ28's question? Where are they made? And now, please answer mine. Why do we have to PRIVATELY let you know what the VIN digits are and how come Tricia (and perhaps now you) never, EVER, post openly, a solution to people's issues? Never on the three Buick sites I visit. Hell, I get better answers from my dealer, and THAT is saying something.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
GMCustomerService
AF Regular

I don't have information on where the different parts for our vehicles come from, unfortunately; I can tell you where different vehicles from more recent models years are assembled, but don't have details beyond that.

I appreciate your question, polarzak, and hope that I can clarify. We ask for VIN numbers to be sent through private messages as this can identify your particular vehicle, and some of our drivers are uncomfortable posting this information publically. Additionally, we are monitoring many different threads across many different forums, Twitter, and Facebook through a search tool, and private messages are one sure-fire way of getting in touch with us. Also, the private messaging we do can quickly evolve to where we ask for contact information so we can set up Customer Assistance Cases, and these are all evaluated on a case-by-case basis. As the different factors we look at can vary so greatly, these discussions are best conducted through private message. Owners are, of course, always free to re-post those interactions.

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 12-22-2011, 05:22 AM   #15
polarzak
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCustomerService View Post

I appreciate your question, polarzak, and hope that I can clarify. .

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Thank you Sarah. Sounds like a reasonable explanation and so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe you might be able to help me with a problem. On several sites I have posted that I have never had problems with my chrome wheels on my 06 Lucerne. Well, I have had a leak in one tire for several days, and when I took it in, and the tire was removed from the rim, the amount of corrosion and chrome flaking on the inner part of the rim was disturbing. It was repaired, a temporary fix I am sure, however I now suspect the other three rims are probably in a similar state and about to leak. Since it seems everyone has had problems with these cheaply made (but hell of an expensive option) has GM owned up to the fact these wheels are a problem and are prepared to made some adjustment for customers?

Thank you.