Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Elantra | Avante
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
davidricotta
AF Newbie

'99 Elantra Fuel Filter Location/Replacement

Can somebody please tell me where the fuel filter is on my '99 Elantra? And, how hard to replace is it?
davidricotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
peachferrari
AF Regular

Re: '99 Elantra Fuel Filter Location/Replacement

It's in the back of the engine bay, driver's side, up against the firewall. It's a lot easier to get to if you remove the air filter box and some of the mass air flow tubing, which is really easy to do.

It's not that hard to change. The only problem I had was getting the nut on top loose. Had to use 2 wrenches, one to hold the "nut" on the bottom of the filter and one to turn the nut on the top.

If you need more help let me/us know.
peachferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
davidricotta
AF Newbie

Re: Re: '99 Elantra Fuel Filter Location/Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachferrari
It's in the back of the engine bay, driver's side, up against the firewall. It's a lot easier to get to if you remove the air filter box and some of the mass air flow tubing, which is really easy to do.

It's not that hard to change. The only problem I had was getting the nut on top loose. Had to use 2 wrenches, one to hold the "nut" on the bottom of the filter and one to turn the nut on the top.

If you need more help let me/us know.

Does a problem exist with fuel-line pressure? I heard somewhere to bleed pressure beforehand...
davidricotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:24 PM   #4
peachferrari
AF Regular

Re: '99 Elantra Fuel Filter Location/Replacement

Ah yes, forgot to mention that. What you want to do is access the fuel pump. To do this, you have to remove the rear seat cushion. Just pull up on the front end to release the clips, then there are two bolts in the back you have to remove. Once the cushion is up, there is a circular lid covering the gas tank. Use a flat screwdriver or something to pry up the cover. You'll see the fuel pump on top of the the fuel tank. You want to remove the electrical connector of the fuel pump. Then start the engine and let it run until it stalls (just a couple seconds). This will remove the pressure from the fuel system. You'll still get a little fuel coming out of the filter though, so be prepared for that.

After replacing the filter and making sure everything is in tight, re-connect the fuel pump electrical connector, cycle the key to the start position (last one before the engine cranks) and back a few times to get the fuel pressure back before you crank the engine to start it.

It might be easier for you if you register at hmaservice.com They have pics of what the stuff looks like. Just go there and register and if you don't see a password soon, go back and click the "forgot password" link (or whatever it's called) and you'll have one emailed to you within a few minutes. Good luck!
peachferrari is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Elantra | Avante