Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
TYT Ride
AF Newbie

94 Rodeo 3.2 Headlights stopped working

The headlights quit working the other day. When I disconnect the connector at both headlights there is power to all three wires going into the headlight connector with the switch on. I get Hi Beams only when I pull the column switch.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
TYT Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:16 PM   #2
TYT Ride
AF Newbie

Re: 94 Rodeo 3.2 Headlights stopped working

**Correction** when I check the connectors there is power to the 2 outside terminals and not the center which I assume is ground.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:26 PM   #3
TYT Ride
AF Newbie

***UPDATE*** I went to the auto parts store to get a manual and the lights came on! I pulled over and:

1) turned them off and then back on----- OK
2) Turned them off and turnmed the switched Hi Beams on-----OK
3) Turned them off and on and actuated the column HI-beams (Flasher) and it killed the head lights and they wouldnt come back on again.

I have checked all fuses and the relay, it clicks when the headlight switch and column hi beam (flasher) is operated, but I feel no click when the "switch" hi beam is operated. I swapped relays with another on the engine fuse box and no change.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:00 AM   #4
Gizmo42
AF Enthusiast

Drive back to the parts store again so they start working again then dont touch the high beam switch anymore

Actually I have no usefull input at the moment. Cant think of anything that would cause those symptoms (havent looked at the wiring diagram yet though).

1999 Rodeo LS 3.2 4x4 5 Speed
32x11.50-15 BFG T/A KO
3" Lift - Rancho 9000x
Rear No-Slip Locker
Flowmaster 2.25" 50 Series
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry
Gizmo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
TYT Ride
AF Newbie

I thought about that gizmo, but its my girlfriends car.

thanks,

Michael
Old 05-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
Gizmo42
AF Enthusiast

For some reason my Haynes manual doesnt have wiring diagrams for the headlight cirucuit. It forced me to burn the alldata file to cd finally for first gen rodeos (already had the file, just not on cd).

From the diagram they have it looks like the center pin for the headlight connectors should be hot whenever the relay is activated. For some reason isuzu switches the ground side of things. The relay should be activated anytime the light switch is on for headlights (not in parking light position) regardless of high or low beam setting.

I think the problem is with the dimmer switch part. Both high and low beams are switched through it, its really the only common point that I can see to cause the problem.

If you need a copy of the diagram PM me with your email addy and I can send it to you.

1999 Rodeo LS 3.2 4x4 5 Speed
32x11.50-15 BFG T/A KO
3" Lift - Rancho 9000x
Rear No-Slip Locker
Flowmaster 2.25" 50 Series
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry
Gizmo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #7
TYT Ride
AF Newbie

"From the diagram they have it looks like the center pin for the headlight connectors should be hot whenever the relay is activated. For some reason isuzu switches the ground side of things. The relay should be activated anytime the light switch is on for headlights (not in parking light position) regardless of high or low beam setting.

I think the problem is with the dimmer switch part. Both high and low beams are switched through it, its really the only common point that I can see to cause the problem.

If you need a copy of the diagram PM me with your email addy and I can send it to you."
Thanks for the research Gizmo! Check this out, My girlfriend was in the car turning the dimmer switch when I fired it up and accidently hit the "turn signal-hi beam toggle" on the stearing column. When the turn signal was on left turn I pulled it for brights and the head lights came on and stayed on the "on" "off" buttons worked. I wiggled, jiggled and flashed hi-beams some more and the headlights went off and stayed off. About a month ago I was going to get gas and noticed the headlights were not working and hit the brights (turn signal Hi-Beam) and the headlights came on!

Last night I pulled the instrument pannel, and the button switch assembly and found the center pin to be hot, when I jumped to the 1st or second pin from the top I heard the relay click but still no headlights.

If in fact it the "turn signal hi beam switch" is the culprit will I have to pull the steering wheel and airbag to replace it? Or do you think it is the dimmer switch?

Thanks for al your help.

Michael
Old 05-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
sydbar81
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to sydbar81

i've had to change the "multi function switch" on a couple different vehicles i've owned.to get it out,you just take all the covers off the column,pull the harness,and it's bolted to the column.i've never changed it on the rodeo,but i'm sure its the same principle.you don't have to pull thew wheel or anything.
that switch is definately the culprit,i had the same symptoms on my thunderbird and my mx6.
the crappy thing is that if you try to go to a salvage yard for it(they're expensive new) they're probably going to make you buy the entire column,good luck.
sydbar81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #9
TYT Ride
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info Guys, It ended up being the combo switch. I had to remove the steering wheel but it was quite easy. I managed to make a jumper for the circuit so she can save some money until payday.

Thanks for all your help,

Michael

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU