Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
helpneeded1
AF Newbie

Shudder while turning right

Hi

This is my first post, lets hope I get am able to solve my problem.

I have a Prado and whenever i turn right while parking, the car shudders, it does not happen when I turn left and it happens only when I am parked and I turn right and accelerate, not while I am driving.

Any clues?

Last edited by helpneeded1; 06-28-2012 at 11:17 AM.
helpneeded1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Re: Shudder while turning right

I'm not familiar with a "Prado." Google shows a Toyota Landcruiser, so I'm going to assume its a 4WD truck.

A shudder when turning a 4WD vehicle generally indicates a binding of axles, u-joints, or something inside the transfer case. It could be sticking in 4WD due to a bad shift motor or something.

AWD and automated 4WD systems have issues with mismatched tires. See if your tires are at the same tread depth all around. The worn tires spin faster and send false slippage signals to the control unit, which proceeds to command 4WD when it isn't needed. This can cause shudders and jerking.

See if you can remove the front driveshaft. Some models allow you to do this without losing fluids. That should eliminate the 4WD system as the cause of your problem.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
phillipshaw
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpneeded1 View Post
Hi

This is my first post, lets hope I get am able to solve my problem.

I have a Prado and whenever i turn right while parking, the car shudders, it does not happen when I turn left and it happens only when I am parked and I turn right and accelerate, not while I am driving.

Any clues?
Same problem as mine.... Hope I could find better answer here.

― Robert Frost
phillipshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
helpneeded1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgames33 View Post
I'm not familiar with a "Prado." Google shows a Toyota Landcruiser, so I'm going to assume its a 4WD truck.

A shudder when turning a 4WD vehicle generally indicates a binding of axles, u-joints, or something inside the transfer case. It could be sticking in 4WD due to a bad shift motor or something.

AWD and automated 4WD systems have issues with mismatched tires. See if your tires are at the same tread depth all around. The worn tires spin faster and send false slippage signals to the control unit, which proceeds to command 4WD when it isn't needed. This can cause shudders and jerking.

See if you can remove the front driveshaft. Some models allow you to do this without losing fluids. That should eliminate the 4WD system as the cause of your problem.
You are right, its a 4WD, I dont think its an automated 4WD, I have a 4WD gear which is always at 4Hi (or is it 4Lo, dont remember

Could it be something to do with tie-rods or wheel bearings?
Old 06-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Try 2 high and see if the problem changes. 4 high is usually intended for use on slick or wet roads. 4 Low is for off road use or deep snow.

Bearings and tie rods tend to make noise when turning while already moving. A bad tie rod should also cause wandering at high speeds and a sometimes a clunk/rattle when hitting bumps at low speeds (assuming that the rod end is very worn out, a little play won't be noticeable). Bearings can cause the same rattle or wander, but its usually harder to notice. A shudder like you describe usually indicates a binding component.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
helpneeded1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgames33 View Post
Try 2 high and see if the problem changes. 4 high is usually intended for use on slick or wet roads. 4 Low is for off road use or deep snow.

Bearings and tie rods tend to make noise when turning while already moving. A bad tie rod should also cause wandering at high speeds and a sometimes a clunk/rattle when hitting bumps at low speeds (assuming that the rod end is very worn out, a little play won't be noticeable). Bearings can cause the same rattle or wander, but its usually harder to notice. A shudder like you describe usually indicates a binding component.
My car does not have 2 high, it only has 4Hi, 4HL and 4LL. While driving on roads, the gear sits on 4Hi by default. I tried in all gear combinations, but in all gears I faced the same issue. Today I noticed I get the shudder sound even while driving at higher speeds, again while turning to the right.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
urania
AF Newbie

Check the sub frame brushing and motor mounts. Maybe the motor and sub frame is moving slightly as you turn and creating the shudder you speak of.
urania is offline   Reply With Quote