Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
rqaform
AF Newbie

dirt inside tire(s)

bought a used full size van. Happened to check tire pressures on all four wheels. When disconnecting the gauge the valve cores leaked/hissed; put caps on quickly - was puzzled. Then the other day (year later) happened to ask my mechanic to change tire (because of flat) - when we looked inside the tire found fist full of shop dirt inside it - had fragments of paper price labels and dirt typically found on shop floors.... What gives - like sabotage - ???? this makes tires short lived? Tires are worn and need replacing for sure, but dirt content gives concern!? So for me, any time valve cores start leaking is sure sign of dirt inside tire, yes?
thanks for info....
PS have pics for the interested
rqaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
vgames33
AF Enthusiast

Re: dirt inside tire(s)

Sometimes cores get old and start to leak. The dirt in there is likely a cause in your case, as it could have gotten stuck in the valve.

Labels and such in the tire was probably from some tire tech having a bad day and taking it out on a random customer. It shouldn't really change the life of the tire, aside from minor wear from being out of balance.
vgames33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

It may not be malicious.. Such a malicious act would have made the tire difficult to balance, making a "comeback" likely and forcing that tech to re-do his work on his own time. I can't see a tech, even a vengeful one, setting himself up to re-do work without pay. To be fair though, people will do irrational things if angry.....

It might just have been a tech's laziness. Anyone who's worked with tires knows its time consuming to shake, tip or blow debris out of a tire, even when not on a rim, due to their shape.

It's possible the tire was sitting at a shop not on a rim and simply got some debris in it.Its easy enough if it was left sitting beside a garbage can.

The tech, not having a shop vac handy simply couldn't be bothered to scoop out or shake out the debris.

Anyways, there's little risk that it shortened the tire life, as noted above.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

I wonder if the previous owner bought new or used tires!
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
rqaform
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rqaform View Post
bought a used full size van. Happened to check tire pressures on all four wheels. When disconnecting the gauge the valve cores leaked/hissed; put caps on quickly - was puzzled. Then the other day (year later) happened to ask my mechanic to change tire (because of flat) - when we looked inside the tire found fist full of shop dirt inside it - had fragments of paper price labels and dirt typically found on shop floors.... What gives - like sabotage - ???? this makes tires short lived? Tires are worn and need replacing for sure, but dirt content gives concern!? So for me, any time valve cores start leaking is sure sign of dirt inside tire, yes?
thanks for info....
PS have pics for the interested
... when I said: (because of flat) ... I ,a little, misspoke; to amend reality: " because tire tread and steel belts separated from the casing while leaving the house" - but managed to keep the tire casing and tire pressure intact by limping home at 2 MPH and removing wheel with tire and taking to mechanic ..... tread and belts separated only at one spot; may be for about 1/8 tire circumference ... worth publishing pic on the forum? If so where?
rqaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: dirt inside tire(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
The tech, not having a shop vac handy simply couldn't be bothered to scoop out or shake out the debris.

Anyways, there's little risk that it shortened the tire life, as noted above.
LMAO! Imagine the "vibe" if an old SNEAKER were left inside the tire mounted.
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote