Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 02:39 PM   #16
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: Blindspot/BGE Sideview mirror Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
So in other words you're trying to convince yourself
it's great even though it obviously doesn't work.
For ME.

I cannot speak for the millions of drivers in Europe, Asia, and yes, in America, for whom it does work.

Listen, I'm not one of the spam bots who I dutifully report and clog your inboxes with.

I think we are just talking past each other here: using different terminology to describe, and achieve, exactly the same side-view mirror configuration as each other.

I don't know what BGE("blindspot-glare elimination") is called in other parts of this world, but that's what it's called here, in North America. And I have provided links and images from those links describing how it is done, and approximately what the view through said mirror setup should approximate, which you and others have willfully refused to look at.

Fundamentally, unless you drive a truck or coach, with multiple mirrors on each side of it, you should not see any part of your own car in your SIDE-view mirrors when they are set correctly. From a drivers perspective, vehicles of most any size or shape, should transition between one side view mirror or the other, and the rearview, just as you yourself described in post #11.

I think our conversation is being bogged down in semantics, choice of word usage here. I would have nothing to gain, nor would sense any joy, in jerking your's or anyone's chain here, even if you choose to believe that's what I'm doing.

The BEST Tire Gauges 1 AU from the Sun!
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 09:19 AM   #17
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Blindspot/BGE Sideview mirror Issues

There's no semantics. It clearly doesn't work, so work with what works.
Old 08-19-2023, 03:28 PM   #18
shorod
SHO No Mo

I spend a fair amount of time towing either my camper or my enclosed trailer. I would certainly argue that having my mirrors set so that I can't see any of the sides of my vehicle would NOT be "correct." There would be many opportunities for cutting corners too sharp and catching curbs or objects close to me when making turns in tight spaces. And the fancy wheels on my car mean a lot to me and I want to be able to tell where there are at when turning corners or parking. With the way I choose to set my mirrors, I have yet to damage a wheel, hit a pole or building, or nearly run others (bicyclists, motorcyclists, cars, or medium-class SUVs) off the roads. So I'm going to stick what works for me, and apparently for those I share the roads with.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
Stealthee (08-20-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 05:44 PM   #19
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
I spend a fair amount of time towing either my camper or my
enclosed trailer. I would certainly argue that having my
mirrors set so that I can't see any of the sides of my vehicle would
NOT be "correct." There would be many opportunities for cutting
corners too sharp and catching curbs or objects close to me when
making turns in tight spaces. And the fancy wheels on my car
mean a lot to me and I want to be able to tell where there are at
when turning corners or parking. With the way I choose to set my
mirrors, I have yet to damage a wheel, hit a pole or building, or
nearly run others (bicyclists, motorcyclists, cars, or medium-class
SUVs) off the roads. So I'm going to stick what works for me,
and apparently for those I share the roads with.

-Rod
Well, I did mention in #16 that if one drives a long vehicle, a combo or semi or such, then both wide and inward angled mirrors would be necessary.

But for most vehicles smaller than a Suburban or Expedition, the technique of setting them so no part of the vehicle appears in the side view mirrors is correct, or at minimum, recommended.

They are called SIDE-VIEW for a reason - to be able to see vehicles alongside yours, not for seeing the sides of your own car. If you prefer your own sheetmetal to occupy the inboard thirds of your side mirrors, then prepare to do a lot of neck craning and head turning to make sure nobody is in the lane you wish to move into, unless you have Dale Earnhardt-level peripheral vision.

But hey, if "three-rear-views" rocks your world, more power to ya. I'll be able to tell your mirrors are such if you almost merge into the side of my car, and I honk at you.

The only reason I started this thread was because I was having issues with it in newer cars. It could be my shorter than average stature, or how far out the mirrors are on newer cars.

And since the day I started this thread, I haven't lost any vehicles between inside and outside mirrors. Like I said, it happens maybe 3-4 times per year to me, and ironically, not involving something as small as a motorcycle or bicycle. Fortunately, my reflexes are good, and I'm able to swerve clear in those rare cases.

Old 08-20-2023, 09:36 AM   #20
shorod
SHO No Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingOnRailz View Post
They are called SIDE-VIEW for a reason - to be able to see vehicles alongside yours, not for seeing the sides of your own car. If you prefer your own sheetmetal to occupy the inboard thirds of your side mirrors, then prepare to do a lot of neck craning and head turning to make sure nobody is in the lane you wish to move into
I don't have them set to where 1/3 of my side-mirror, but I do have them set to where I can just see the side of my vehicle and still see if there are vehicles beside me. I was taught during Driver's Education that a responsible driver should ALWAYS glance beside them before changing lanes anyway, which I still do to this day. So between being able to see what's directly beside me, checking my BLIS LED in my side mirror, and taking a quick look over my shoulder before changing lanes, I feel I've got things pretty well covered. I also maintain a reasonably safe following distance from the vehicle in front of me which provides time to take a quick look over the shoulder.

Quote:
I'll be able to tell your mirrors are such if you almost merge into the side of my car, and I honk at you.
Based on your own admission, it sounds like setting the mirrors to this "recommended" method is likely to cause someone (in a vehicle the size of a Honda Pilot even) to earn a honk when changing lanes. In my 32 years of driving I don't recall EVER having someone honk at me when changing lanes. And while the roads are never all that congested where I live, I've also driving in large, busy areas while on business travel and vacations. I was also taught in Driver's Education to continually scan the mirrors to know where the vehicles are around me and to always leave myself an out. I think that helps offset the chances of trying to change lanes into one that's already occupied. Of course many younger driver's seem to spend more time scanning their phones than their mirrors....

Speaking of big cities, one more reason to NOT set your mirrors to where none of the side of your vehicle appears in them would be so you can see if someone is coming up along side your vehicle on foot while at a stop. I'd prefer to have a pedestrian catch the attention of my peripheral vision from a side-view mirror, especially since I prefer to drive with my windows down when the weather permits rather than closed up with the A/C on.

Quote:
The only reason I started this thread was because I was having issues with it in newer cars. It could be my shorter than average stature, or how far out the mirrors are on newer cars.
What do you consider a "newer car?" My newest car is a 2018 so maybe you're referring to something much newer than that. The only times I drive something newer than that is when on business travel and I have a rental. But there there is some much that's different and distracting (vehicle, traffic, not knowing where I'm going) that I likely wouldn't notice the impact from smaller or oddly placed side-view mirrors. But if anything, I'd say the mirrors on my 2018 might even be wider than the mirrors on the 2013 that it replaced and on my son's 2004. My daughter has an SUV so that's not really a fair comparison, and my 2014 Ram has factory towing mirrors with the extra convex portion so I'm not considering those either.

Quote:
And since the day I started this thread, I haven't lost any vehicles between inside and outside mirrors. Like I said, it happens maybe 3-4 times per year to me, and ironically, not involving something as small as a motorcycle or bicycle. Fortunately, my reflexes are good, and I'm able to swerve clear in those rare cases.
I think it's safe to say that if your research and Google haven't helped you figure out if you're missing a nuance to the "recommended" settings, the folks who have so far responded here are not going to be able to point it out either. Stick with what you feel works for you and I'll do the same.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 09:00 AM   #21
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
I don't have them set to where 1/3 of my side-mirror, but I do have them set to where I can just see the side of my vehicle and still see if there are vehicles beside me. I was taught during Driver's Education that a responsible driver should ALWAYS glance beside them before changing lanes anyway, which I still do to this day. So between being able to see what's directly beside me, checking my BLIS LED in my side mirror, and taking a quick look over my shoulder before changing lanes, I feel I've got things pretty well covered. I also maintain a reasonably safe following distance from the vehicle in front of me which provides time to take a quick look over the shoulder.

Based on your own admission, it sounds like setting the mirrors to this "recommended" method is likely to cause someone (in a vehicle the size of a Honda Pilot even) to earn a honk when changing lanes. In my 32 years of driving I don't recall EVER having someone honk at me when changing lanes. And while the roads are never all that congested where I live, I've also driving in large, busy areas while on business travel and vacations. I was also taught in Driver's Education to continually scan the mirrors to know where the vehicles are around me and to always leave myself an out. I think that helps offset the chances of trying to change lanes into one that's already occupied. Of course many younger driver's seem to spend more time scanning their phones than their mirrors....

Speaking of big cities, one more reason to NOT set your mirrors to where none of the side of your vehicle appears in them would be so you can see if someone is coming up along side your vehicle on foot while at a stop. I'd prefer to have a pedestrian catch the attention of my peripheral vision from a side-view mirror, especially since I prefer to drive with my windows down when the weather permits rather than closed up with the A/C on.

What do you consider a "newer car?" My newest car is a 2018 so maybe you're referring to something much newer than that. The only times I drive something newer than that is when on business travel and I have a rental. But there there is some much that's different and distracting (vehicle, traffic, not knowing where I'm going) that I likely wouldn't notice the impact from smaller or oddly placed side-view mirrors. But if anything, I'd say the mirrors on my 2018 might even be wider than the mirrors on the 2013 that it replaced and on my son's 2004. My daughter has an SUV so that's not really a fair comparison, and my 2014 Ram has factory towing mirrors with the extra convex portion so I'm not considering those either.

I think it's safe to say that if your research and Google haven't helped you figure out if you're missing a nuance to the "recommended" settings, the folks who have so far responded here are not going to be able to point it out either. Stick with what you feel works for you and I'll do the same.

-Rod
Newer/more recent: 2010 to present model year I suppose.

Although I did start to have trouble with the method that two-thirds of world drivers use to set mirrors with my 2008 Kia Optima. That's when most car sideview mirrors were of the folding variety, and were positioned the length of a basketball court out from the driver and front passenger side windows..! (not quite that far out, but you got your own mind!)

And as I repeatedly said, I don't "lose" vehicles every time with the setup, just maybe once per month or a few times per year.

It might just be that I'm not seeing the vehicle until just after it has transitioned through all of my mirrors, and admittedly I don't have the best peripheral vision out there, like the aforementioned late great Dale Earnhardt.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
bge , blindspot , mirror , side , view
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General