Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
whateverz
AF Newbie

Modified fuel pump setup, PLEASE ADVISE!

Left me stranded sat night and after a long PITA process this is the jist.

The second POS airtex fuel pump went. I knew thats what it was before I rolled to a stop as it started making more noise recently. I don't believe in paying for the whole module, (such a racket) so I matched up a Delphi FE0114 pump that was in stock at the parts store and a new filter. No start. Got a pressure tester, 0 psi. Unhooked filter and it would just piss a little out, even cranking it would only dribble. Blew from tank to filter, good. Filter, and filter to rail test port, all clear. Made noise like it was working fine. So I tested relay, good. Power at module terminal, good. Pump terminal inside module, good. WTF! So I hardline the pump and dangled it in the tank, started right up! So I took the module apart for the 8th time (think I have a gold metal time with this), and started blowing through module ports and found the internal bypass and noticed it was missing its little grommet to the lower return. So I went back to the faa site and found it (dropped it working in the dark). Put it all back together super tight and siked to get going.....no start!

SO.....Finally.... Here is my question. I bypassed the module internal bypass and hardline the pump directly out of the module to supply line and are completely relying on return line to relieve unwanted back pressure on the pump. Is this a bad idea? Is it going to be hard on the FPR or pump? That internal module bypass would not let it build psi. It started better and ran better than it did with brand new airtex's, but Im just wondering if this is going to kill the pump/fpr?

Thanks in advance for any help, hope I described it well. First post here after reading here for help the last few days.

Edit, sorry forgot to put info. 2001 express 3500 5.7 vortec cutaway 14' box van 55gal tank
whateverz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical