Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Sketching and Drawing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Sketching and Drawing Sketchers and drawers in the house?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
GirlBear
AF Enthusiast

Need Some Advice Please

I'm in the market for an airbrush. If any1 has suggestions, please throw them out there. Not 100% sure what im looking for. I definitely dont want a beginners rig.

http://jowulf.deviantart.com/
GirlBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
Drift F.C
AF Enthusiast

Re: Need Some Advice Please

Depends on the price. I'm only younger, so I got an airbrush that cost $40 Australian, whereas there was on that cost about $350 Australian!!!

2010 QMHE Intermediate Silver - Mini Cooper S
2010 QMHE Intermediate Bronze - 37' Delivery
2011 QMHE Intermediate Silver - Panzer Tank
2011 QMHE Imtermediate Bronze - McLaren M8B
Drift F.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
GirlBear
AF Enthusiast

well, thank you for the reply. Although you have not answered my question. And I might be even more clueless because of it. Just kidding.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
kingalbrect79
AF Newbie

Well maybe I can help you. Coming from an artist and scale modeler there are a few differences in airbrush types vs. styles. The most important thing about buying an airbrush is you have to know what type you are looking for based on the purpose you are using it for.

The main two differences are that there are two specific versions of airbrushes and many variations of each of those.

1.)Single action: This type of airbrush is a simple bottle fed airbrush (about the size of your standard testors model car bottle) and is very simple and clean to operate. You push the button and a single mix of air/paint flow through the tip. You can change tips ranging from 1-?, most decent airbrushes come with 3 tips included for a variety of sizes of paint distribution. The flow of paint can range from a wide spray equivalent of a spray can from walmart to a pencil sized line. This is the best airbrush if you want to do simple painting such as model car bodies, general painting and is by far the easiest to clean after each use and between paint colors.

2.)Double action: This brush is on the outside the exact duplicate of a single action, however it has the added bonus of controlling air pressure vs. paint application and is the preferred tool for custom airbrushing in general painting canvases, or automotive/custom applications. By pushing on the button you start the flow of air and you have to pull back on the button at the same time to adjust for the amount of paint you want to apply with the given tip. In this regard you are able to thin and fade paint while moving without having to pull your hand away from the surface giving you tremendous control over really fine lines and custom detail work. This brush however is rather difficult to clean and requires alot of dissassembly after each paint color to clean.

For most beginners with an airbrush, scale modelers, general paint application and most general use airbrush work, a single action is recommended. It is easy to use, even easier to clean, very simple to handle and the learning curve is extremely fast and easy.

I live in Michigan so the brand I prefer is by Paasche. It is a top rated airbrush brand that has a lifetime warranty on the brush, it's parts and it's compressor. I paid about $160 for my airbrush, that is including the compressor and a testors bottle adapter for painting my scale models.

There are however other brands out there, some that use aerosol propellants by the can or other compressor driven airbrushes, but for me and most of the people I know that run in the scale model world or general categories, even with a dual action it's got to be a paasche airbrush. The quality is outstanding, the price is very reasonable (I thought it was going to be twice what I paid), and with competing internet online stores you might even be able to find a better deal than what I got at my local hobby shop. Paasche's customer service is outstanding and the shop owner still has his same compressor and airbrush that was purchased by his father over 40 years ago. They have a long track record and sustainability.

Good luck, try researching the "actions" by airbrush and compressor deals and see what you can find.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
GirlBear
AF Enthusiast

Thank you kingalbrect79. That was very helpfull. Now 2 scour the web for an airbrush. I feel like i kinda know what im looking for now.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:33 AM   #6
elcamino6t9
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to elcamino6t9

Hey GB.. I picked a single action up last summer and then bought an air compressor and it is still sitting here..havent really used it much... quite new to it as well. Be interesting to see how you take to it. I bought a set of paints that came with a beginners DVD how to guide etc... really itching to get back to it now..

good luck
elcamino6t9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #7
LIL NEWT
AF Newbie

I have been an airbrusher for over 25 years. It all debends on what your going to use it for? I wouldn`t start with the single action. Very limited. It`s better to start out with a dual action. Best place for any airbrush equipment and paints is COAST AIRBRUSH in ANAHIEM,CALIFORNIA USA. They ship world wide and are great to deal with and very informative. www.coastairbrush.com
LIL NEWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Blip
AF Enthusiast

GB--I started with a Badger double-action model (still have it), but have only used it a little bit for model/minature painting...etc.
I do disassembly and clean it after each use--not too hard, but must be careful with the needle.
Have yet to make any time to try it for more artistic design work.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
GirlBear
AF Enthusiast

Wow, thanx guys. real busy lately. my other half's gall bladder needs to come out. Been consumed with alll that and the holidays. probably gonna put the airbrush on hold for now. everything is kinda on hold now.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
Blip
AF Enthusiast

Sorry to here that -- hope all goes well with a speedy recovery.
You all need to get healthier quick.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:08 AM   #11
GirlBear
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip View Post
Sorry to here that -- hope all goes well with a speedy recovery.
You all need to get healthier quick.
Thanx, we all appreciate that. Hopefully we got everything out of our systems lol

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Sketching and Drawing