Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 03:26 PM   #1
EricinRB
AF Newbie

My choke is whacky

I know the 1991 Tercel doesn't have a choke, per-se, but it's acting very wierd. It starts fine, cold or warm. Passes California smog with flying colors and runs well. BUT - within a minute of starting and until the temp gauges gets above the "C" line - the car basically revs itself. It's a base model so I don't have a tach, but it sounds like at least a 1000 rpm swing - very consistant, but up & down like you were using your foot. It seems to have no effect on drivability though. Hit the clutch, drop it in first and pull away and you'd never know it was doing it, until you step on the clutch and take your foot off the gas. Once it hits a certain temp it settles down and seems to idle fine and it runs really well.
EricinRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

Yes, that's the rapid idle feature that gets the engine warmed up when it's cold. I don't know if your car has FI or a carb. but on my '82 (carb), you're supposed to let it idle like this for 15 seconds from the start and then jab the gas pedal, which puts it back down to the normal idle speed.

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:43 PM   #3
EricinRB
AF Newbie

2strokebloke!! I LOVE those 360's!! I had one (ok 4, but only one ran) when I was in hi school!!!

My Tercel has FI - so I am sure it's a sensor or switch. I'm new to Tercels and I'm not sure where to start looking.

Thanks for the reply, though!

My 360 was red, with the Rising Sun on the hood - I even had some lightweight wings for it and time trialed it at Nelsons Ledges Sports Car Course in the late 70's.. What a wild and weird car!!
EricinRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:22 PM   #4
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

Glad that there's yet another 360 owner (past or present) here, there's a 360 board in the Subaru forums here if you'd like to share your experience you had with the 360s.
I love the 360, there are few cars that some up so perfectly why Japanese cars used to seem so weird to Americans than the 360. Mine runs fine but I'm still searching for brake parts to make it roadable again, it's a '69 with the 25hp motor.

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote