Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 8 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 08:54 PM   #1
S8BMW
AF Newbie

1999 840Ci - Steering play

Hi

I have slight play on the steering, not enough to affect handling yet but would like it to feel tight. Is there an adjustment I could do on the box or do I need it to be replaced?

Any input will be appreciated.
S8BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 05:00 AM   #2
SwissM8
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 840Ci - Steering play

When you say slight, I presume it's more annoying than anything else... if this is the case, I wouldn't go for a replacement box just yet ($$$$).

There's an adjustment screw on top of the steering box. Loosen the lock-nut and see if you can tighten the nut about a quarter turn (you may be able to hand tighten it).

If this doesn't help, have a good (8serie) mechanic check your upper and lower control arms and bushings before you spend big on a new box.

Hope this helps
SwissM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:52 AM   #3
S8BMW
AF Newbie

Smile

Hi

You are quite right, that was what I thought as well, I have the BMW CD's and identified the adjuster in question.

I will try that before anything else. Thanks for your confident assistance.

Will post in time to report progress.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
S8BMW
AF Newbie

Wher the hell is it?

Hi

Had a look under the bonnet this morning, a brief search failed to reveal even the approximate location of the steering box.

Can anyone help me in locating the exact location and best way to access the steering box. I do hope it will be relatively straight forward.

Thanking you in advance and a Happy New Year to all 8 Series owners where ever they are.

S8BMW
Old 12-27-2004, 01:53 AM   #5
SwissM8
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 840Ci - Steering play

If you stand over the engine on the relavent steering side and look straight down, near the exhaust manifold is the box. Adjustment screw is on top of the box.
MAKE SURE the exhaust is cool before you begin.

The hexnut is hard to reach but can be done... saying this, some people will actually remove the wheel and the tierod on that side and do it from the bottom but for me, I would rather go in from the top and have the grazed knuckles

There are different makes of box but you will definitely need a 17mm open ended spanner for the big hexnut and depending on the box make, either a flatblade screwdriver or a 4.5mm allen key for the adjuster.

My advice is to initially adjust a 1/4 turn. If steering is too tight and doesn't center properly after adjusting 1/4 turn, loosen off in very very small increments and re-test.

Hope this helps.
SwissM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
S8BMW
AF Newbie

steering play

Hi

Happy New Year.

Had a look, located the box, very narrow access, didn't yet figure out how to get in there and with tools, too cold to spend extended periods with it. I will have to wait for warmer days to proceed.

Thanks for all your help so far.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 8 Series