Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Grand Marquis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #1
carmel 9
AF Newbie

Question 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis

I have a couple of questions. First question air bag light is blinking what is wrong? Second question what is wrong when you rev the engine and alot of smoke comes out of the tailpipe? Third question what is wrong when I park my car on a hill with the front facing down hill and oil leaks out? What is wrong when the car keeps cutting off? I have put alot of money into this car and it seems like I am getting one problem after another. Please!!! I am in desperate need of help can anyone help me with these problems.
carmel 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
carmel 9
AF Newbie

Unhappy Help !!!

Can someone help me with my questions come on somebody help !!!!!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
SiZzOuRcE
AF Newbie

Re: 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis

Count how many times your air bag light blinks first off. It will be in segments like ''''' '' ''''' '' ''''' ''. In segments.

Second, what color smoke is coming from the exhaust, if its blueish/white then its oil. That could be many things, my 94 Grand Marquis smokes like a biatch also, but there is nothing wrong with it.

Thirdy, I have no idea about the other problems. Once you've counted the segments of the blinking air bag light, find a site that has codes and find out what that code means.

Example: ````` `` = code 52
SiZzOuRcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
carmel 9
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiZzOuRcE
Count how many times your air bag light blinks first off. It will be in segments like ''''' '' ''''' '' ''''' ''. In segments.

Second, what color smoke is coming from the exhaust, if its blueish/white then its oil. That could be many things, my 94 Grand Marquis smokes like a biatch also, but there is nothing wrong with it.

Thirdy, I have no idea about the other problems. Once you've counted the segments of the blinking air bag light, find a site that has codes and find out what that code means.

Example: ````` `` = code 52
I checked the code and it reads 51. What do I need to do about that. The smoke coming out of the tail pipe it looks white. What does this mean. I hope its not a big problem.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:37 PM   #5
carmel 9
AF Newbie

Question I found the what the code means

It says diagnostic monitor thermal fuse- blown and short to ground no longer exists.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:23 PM   #6
SiZzOuRcE
AF Newbie

My code still blinks 52 or 51, I forget. Either way it means that your airbags will not deploy on impact. For me it meant that I needed to replace a computer that was $200 I think at autozone and something else. The smoke is normal, get a tune up soon tho, that might help out with the smoke.
SiZzOuRcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:22 AM   #7
Loekee75
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Loekee75

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel 9
I have a couple of questions. First question air bag light is blinking what is wrong? Second question what is wrong when you rev the engine and alot of smoke comes out of the tailpipe? Third question what is wrong when I park my car on a hill with the front facing down hill and oil leaks out? What is wrong when the car keeps cutting off? I have put alot of money into this car and it seems like I am getting one problem after another. Please!!! I am in desperate need of help can anyone help me with these problems.
Does the oil only leak when its parked on a hill?....It could be several areas..the pan gasket, the filter may not be quite tight enough, or even the sending unit could leak. I doubt if it's the drain plug, because you said it leaks when facing downward and the plug would be facing up in that case. Clean the bottom of the engine and park on the hill again. Then look underneath again, you should be able to pin point the source of the leak easier that way.
White smoke could be from leaking valve guides. Does your car use up a lot of oil before an oil change is due? I agree that a tune up may help fix this problem
Loekee75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #8
carmel 9
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiZzOuRcE
My code still blinks 52 or 51, I forget. Either way it means that your airbags will not deploy on impact. For me it meant that I needed to replace a computer that was $200 I think at autozone and something else. The smoke is normal, get a tune up soon tho, that might help out with the smoke.
Thanks for your help I took it to dealer just because it was the air bag I wanted to make sure that if anything went wrong I could blame them not myself. I was right about the part and it costed 246.12 and my labor was 270.00 it really was a waste of my time because it was something I could have put on myself. You may want to check your relay fuses too. I will try and get a tune up soon I think its about that time. So If you ever need to pass inspection due to your air bag light you will Know what to do.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:22 AM   #9
carmel 9
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekee75
Does the oil only leak when its parked on a hill?....It could be several areas..the pan gasket, the filter may not be quite tight enough, or even the sending unit could leak. I doubt if it's the drain plug, because you said it leaks when facing downward and the plug would be facing up in that case. Clean the bottom of the engine and park on the hill again. Then look underneath again, you should be able to pin point the source of the leak easier that way.
White smoke could be from leaking valve guides. Does your car use up a lot of oil before an oil change is due? I agree that a tune up may help fix this problem
The car only leaks when its on a hill. what is the sending unit? Right now there isn't any oil leaking and I think its because its to cold. I think the smoke is white. does that mean I need a valve cover gasket and if I do whats the price range of that sometimes when I check the dipstick it will almost be dry and then I started adding oil when I think it was low. Now I have to much oil. maybe I'm using the wrong oil I was using 5w 30 but jiffy lube told me that 5w 30 was to thin for my car and my car burns it fast so I changed it to 10w 30 castrol oil. I'm going to get a tune up soon.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:23 PM   #10
Loekee75
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Loekee75
Re: Re: Re: 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis

Quote:
The car only leaks when its on a hill. what is the sending unit? Right now there isn't any oil leaking and I think its because its to cold. I think the smoke is white. does that mean I need a valve cover gasket and if I do whats the price range of that sometimes when I check the dipstick it will almost be dry and then I started adding oil when I think it was low. Now I have to much oil. maybe I'm using the wrong oil I was using 5w 30 but jiffy lube told me that 5w 30 was to thin for my car and my car burns it fast so I changed it to 10w 30 castrol oil. I'm going to get a tune up soon.
The oil sending unit tells the gauge how much pressure you have...some cars have this sensor screwed into the oil pan, and road vibration will cause it to leak a little. A small twist of a wrench will fix the leak.
Your valve cover gasket may be fine, the valve guides are inside of the covers, surrounding the valves themselves. How many miles does your gm have?
Loekee75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:31 PM   #11
carmel 9
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loekee75
The oil sending unit tells the gauge how much pressure you have...some cars have this sensor screwed into the oil pan, and road vibration will cause it to leak a little. A small twist of a wrench will fix the leak.
Your valve cover gasket may be fine, the valve guides are inside of the covers, surrounding the valves themselves. How many miles does your gm have?
It has 139,000 miles I just replaced the transmission last year.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:41 PM   #12
babyivan
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis

Quote:
It has 139,000 miles I just replaced the transmission last year.
After about 100k, the 4.6 V8's usually start to consume oil.
It's really not a big deal though, just make sure you keep an eye on the oil level and add when necessary.
My 92 MGM has started burning oil at about 90k.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:31 PM   #13
carmel 9
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyivan
After about 100k, the 4.6 V8's usually start to consume oil.
It's really not a big deal though, just make sure you keep an eye on the oil level and add when necessary.
My 92 MGM has started burning oil at about 90k.
That's a nice car looks a little like mines.
It doesn't leak on flat level but my driveway is a slanted hill like drive way and the oil leaks all out. I don't know what to do about it any more. It failed inspection for smoking and I think they are over exaggerating because it was like a little puff of smoke. I have taken it to the dealer and they have no answers so I have reported them to the better business bureau because I have taken my car to them on seven different occasion and this is were I'm at now.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:55 AM   #14
babyivan
AF Newbie

there's a rubber gasket type thing that connects between the engine and the oil filter...they tend to go bad as well. That might be the cause of the oil leak.
It's a relatively simple thing to fix.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:01 AM   #15
carmel 9
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyivan
there's a rubber gasket type thing that connects between the engine and the oil filter...they tend to go bad as well. That might be the cause of the oil leak.
It's a relatively simple thing to fix.
Do you know whats the name of the part or the place were you need to put it. Maybe that will help the oil from leaking.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Grand Marquis