Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > M Roadster | M Coupe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 03:31 PM   #1
SabreKhan
The middle pedal is bad

Question M-Coupe vs. Z3.0

I'm in the market for a USDM M-Coupe (not an M3 coupe, as there seems to be some confusion among the users of this forum about that), but I have a couple of questions:

How much of a difference is there between the Z3 coupe with the 3-Liter engine and the M-Coupe? They have the same chassis and the same displacement, so how much better is the M?

If I'm checking one out, what should I look for? Is the M-Coupe notorious for breaking or wearing down something in particular? I've heard about cracks in the body/frame of the Z's, but it doesn't seem to be widespread. Anything else?

And finally, for those of you who've driven them for awhile, are they still as badass to you today as they were when you first bought them? I know a lot of people get fed up with their sportscars after awhile; does this hold true for M-Coupe drivers?

Anything else I should know?

2004 Impreza WRX (SCCA DS 519)
2000 Saturn SL
SabreKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:33 PM   #2
swbender
AF Newbie

Re: M-Coupe vs. Z3.0

The M Coupe has a different, more aggressive suspension set-up. It also has about 10% more horsepower and torque. You'll notice the difference driving 8/10 or more.

They eat tires pretty quickly, and lots of them have niggly initial construction issues (my car's 3rd brake light had to be replaced twice, but under warranty). They are very solidly built. If you spend much time at tracks, you'll also want to upgrade the rear shocks.

Mine's still a hoot. One qualification, however. I bought it when I lived in Chicago and it wasn't much fun. Too stiff on concrete highways and a little bit nervous at high speeds. Great fun at BMW CCA track days, but not day-to-day. I have since moved to sunny CA and live off Route 1, which is the perfect situation for it. Planning on keeping mine for a long time

lastly, there's a good web site at mz3.net
swbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 01:44 AM   #3
02mcoupe
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 02mcoupe

The comment re 10% more Hp and torque only relates to an MZ3 2000 and earlier. If you like horsepower, the 2001/02 models are stock with 315 horses that are easily, cheaply and don't mess with your warranty when you upgrade to 350 Hp + (Dinan upgrades only)
02mcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:29 PM   #4
B R
AF Newbie

I am trying to sell mine if you or anyone else is still looking. Great Car .
Old 12-04-2004, 05:53 AM   #5
firstacrosstheline
AF Newbie

Z3m

Mine is uk spec 321bhp (E36 M3 Evo engine). This car is considerably quicker than the 3.0L Z3. Theres not much that has ever come past me on openish dry roads. Only a (tuned) 500bhp sierra cossie, A (tuned) Evo V, and a Lambo diablo (it seriously whipped me unsuprisingly!). Of course there are quicker cars point to point on the twisty stuff, and on track; but for me the sheer acceleration of the Z3M is addictive (Evo mag featured 4.3secs to 60 stock!).

Word of warning (Seriously) - the Z3M for me is one of the most edgy, unforgiving cars in the world when it's wet / cold / icy...

I have had some VERY scary moments at high speed in these conditions (including losing the back end in standing water at over 120mph) - I now take it VERY steady in these conditions I would advise any Z3M owner do the same...
firstacrosstheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
swbender
AF Newbie

The rear end on these cars is indeed really twitchy at high speeds. The standard strategy for people to use their cars on the track often is to up the size of the rear tires to 255 (from 245) and to put in new adjustable gas shocks. Doesn't cure the situation, but does give a bit more margin for error, especially in the wet. You might try that
Old 12-05-2004, 04:11 AM   #7
jfowler85
AF Newbie

just a quick ? here since i cant post new threads: i am looking to sell off my 2000 mitsu eclipse gt, and i am currently looking at a few cars, one of which is the z3/m coupe. i would mainly drive the car to and from work when i am not driving my beastly jeep wagoneer. asking price is 20K w/ 33,000 on the odo, but the owner said he would take 17 in cash. how do these cars wear? high maintence? high mileage a problem? good dail driver? worth 17 in cash? thanks a bunch. btw, z3/m coupes look *wicked* to say at the least.
jfowler85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:00 PM   #8
swbender
AF Newbie

They're good daily drivers unless you're dealing with lots of stop and go and concrete expansion joints (midwest highways). From what i've seen, $17k would be good for a 315hp coupe, and maybe a little high for a 98 or 99. Ebay motors has several listed right now if you want to do a comparison
Old 12-08-2004, 02:05 AM   #9
jfowler85
AF Newbie

Re: Re: M-Coupe vs. Z3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbender
They're good daily drivers unless you're dealing with lots of stop and go and concrete expansion joints (midwest highways). From what i've seen, $17k would be good for a 315hp coupe, and maybe a little high for a 98 or 99. Ebay motors has several listed right now if you want to do a comparison

thankyou kindly. i live in sw MO, so i will keep a little skepticism in mind and do several test drives through my work-route.

regaurds,

-j
Old 12-09-2004, 03:53 PM   #10
swbender
AF Newbie

Happy to help. Your message prompted me to look around a bit. There's a roadfly bimmer M coupe forum, and dedicated sites at mz3.net and 368s.com. Those people are not unbiased, of course. However I did learn that there are issues with the 315hp engines self-destructing (368s.com had the best story). Worth considering.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:39 AM   #11
jfowler85
AF Newbie

Quote:
Happy to help. Your message prompted me to look around a bit. There's a roadfly bimmer M coupe forum, and dedicated sites at mz3.net and 368s.com. Those people are not unbiased, of course. However I did learn that there are issues with the 315hp engines self-destructing (368s.com had the best story). Worth considering.
thankyou again
Old 03-09-2005, 05:55 AM   #12
TroyMc
AF Newbie

Hi,

How about finding the parts ?
How much does 2000-2001 M Coupe worth...?
Any idea where I can find this car with a reasobable price (not ebay)...

I saw a couple prices on the web..They seem too much..

17K close to what I am willing to pay for this car ..

Thanks
Troy McKirk

Search Engine Optimization Expert
Quote:
TroyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:48 AM   #13
swbender
AF Newbie

2000 coupes have the 240hp engine, and seem to be selling for minimum $20-22k. The 2001's have the 315hp and look more like $25k-30k. That's what I see on ebay and in the BMW CCA mag. Important to remember these cars cost $42k and $45k new, respectively. I think you may have to buck up and pay more, or look at older (98-99) Coupes. Inspect the rear floor under the carpet carefully, btw, it's the main failing in these cars.

Parts are easy to find. Almost all the running hardware is shared with the rest of the Z3 family or the E36 M3. Exception is the rear hatch and trim, but BMW seems to have plenty.