Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 10:32 AM   #1
jtavares
AF Newbie

Have heat - but not much - HELP!

My 97 Voyager has heat (less when it's idling) but not much for cold Canadian winters. Does anyone have any idea what I might do to increase it? Our other vehicles have plenty. We've already replaced the thermostat several times (ensuring it's a winter one).
jtavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 01:26 AM   #2
tazman
AF Enthusiast

You may actually have a block heater core. They can somewhat expensive to replaceand is more than likely the cause of your problems. You fail to mention whether the blower is working fine. If it is blowing low while you have it on high then that could be your whole problem
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:09 AM   #3
jtavares
AF Newbie

The blower works perfectly, at all settings. Did you mean to say "blocked" heater core? I only ask because living in Canada, we also have a block heater. :o)
Old 12-12-2003, 12:02 PM   #4
tazman
AF Enthusiast

You are right. I meant to say a possible blocked heater core. I've run into that kind of problem in the past with other vehicles I've owned. And I know what you mean when you talk about the block heaters. I also live in Canada and use my block heater on both vans all winter long. I even went to the trouble of installing a new electrical line with a GFCI outlet in the garage for it.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:56 PM   #5
jtavares
AF Newbie

Re: Have heat - but not much - HELP!

But if it was blocked, wouldn't I get NO heat at all? Like I said, the heat is fine, if it isn't too cold out. I have other vehicles though that really heat up, no matter what the temperature is. I've even tried the cardboard on the rad trick, but it made no difference at all.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:11 PM   #6
tazman
AF Enthusiast

It may be just a partial blockage. You would still get some heat but not alot. Usually a rad flush will free it up instead of having to rip it all apart.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:16 PM   #7
jtavares
AF Newbie

Ok, I guess I'll have to give that a try - what have I got to loose except some cash. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-16-2003, 11:56 PM   #8
daveyhouse
AF Newbie

rad flush will not flush heater core. Disconnect heater hoses from core and gently flush both ports of heater core with garden hose until running clear.
daveyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:54 PM   #9
cddburd
AF Newbie

davey is right, Mine was the same and I flushed both ways and it improved the heat. If you have a valve to heater core (larger side), check to make sure it opens when calling for heat. These operate on vaccum on some models.
cddburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 04:12 PM   #10
Tom Cat
AF Newbie

I had the same problem with a 1992 Plymouth Voyager. Took it to 3 garages and change the thermostat twice. Traded it in on a 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager and had the same problem as the 1992. When having the oil changed I mentioned this to the service manager. He flushed the cooling system with one of those new machines that cleans out the whole cooling system. I now have to turn the heat down, it is too hot after warm up.
Tom Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:07 AM   #11
jtavares
AF Newbie

Thanks everyone...with it being -30 C here right now, we'll be getting that cooling system flushed asap! I hope it works! My feet are getting frosty!